Gimbal modes? And 2D vs 3D

Reaction score
I'm fixing to order a Phantom2, but I have a couple of questions about gimbals...

First, I'm assuming there are different "modes" that the gimbal can be set to. Can someone explain them? For example, if I'm flying FPV, I'd think I would want the camera to "tilt" with the quad to help me know what is going on - but that would defeat the purpose of a gimbal in the first place, wouldn't it? If there are different modes, can they be changed mid-flight? So I would have no gimbal action while I fly to the item I want to video, then have full gimbal stabilization while I'm at the scene, then go back to tilting with the quad while I come back to land...
How does that all work?

Also - what is the difference in the 2d and 3d?

No, I have not even seen a gimbal in person, much less flown with one - I do have some limited quad flight experience with a blade 350QX and a couple of micro/minis.

Yes, I had the same question.

There's some videos with the 2D and 3D gimbals that show the difference. The 3rd axis keeps the camera level when the Phantom tilts when moving Right To Left (or Left To Right). It makes a big difference in the video being stable.

There aren't any modes on the Zenmuse H3-2D/3D that can be changed "in flight". Mode changes require a PC hook up via the USB port.

You can enable FPV mode, that would indicate it tilts the camera view with the quad, to assist in banking turns etc.

You are better off using an iOSD mini if you are using FPV anyway and leave the gimbal work normally.
The iOSD will display onscreen graphics about the system status, battery charge etc and also provide an attitude guide so you can see the attitude of the quad. It's not an artificial horizon.

DJI-iosd-mini-screen-shot.jpg

I would definitely plan to have the iosd - I wasn't sure what all information it gives you. I take it that it is easy enough to fly with a gimbal holding the camera steady by using the info on the display to tell what the quad is doing?

Enabling FPV mode sounds like what I was trying to explain.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl