Gimbal making noise and vibrating

Bummer. I do a lot of stupid things with my drone (multiple hard landings/crashes) and haven't had that happen. Just a matter of time. (Even with prop guards I've replaced around 10 props.) Some day I'll learn to be careful. We've got lots of high winds, rocks/cactus, and bats. Wind is my nemesis.

Actually the first thing to do is NOT to send it back. You should do a gimbal recalibration first and even two or three times if necessary. This will usually solve your problem. Only if that doesn't work should you seek a repair.... which is likely to cost a fair sum!

I had a small incident with my Phantom 3 Pro last night (bat flew into it) and now the gimbal makes a clicking noise and vibrates the camera.

http://www.gdaustralia.com/video.mp4

Please have a look at inserted video...not the best, but you should get the idea

Thank you
Gary
As well as gimbal recalibration do an IMU recal. If no success try reinstalling whatever FW version you're using.

@Gary Duncan,
Don't send it back yet...
Could be the loose hex grub screw.
Look at where the vertical gimbal arm attaches to the gimbal main board. Just below the board, opposite side of the ribbon cable is a black hidden grub hex screw. Tighten that to the flat side of the D shaft.
Let us know how you go...

Reactions: sydneymark
OK....I had taken off the gimbal to have a look and could not find an Allen Key to fit, so I had to go to the shops....finally got a 1.5 to fit today (been busy playing golf :)) and tightened up the grub screw...very loose...ALL IS GREAT !!!!

Thank you good pilots. Now back to the sky and hopefully no more incidents with other flying creatures.

Cheers guys
Gary

Reactions: wolfweb
the forum has delivered again.

after a couple of stupid crashes my pan left right gimbal was making clicking noises and not happy, me likewise.

checked the grub screw, undid it, played around on where it should sit properly, and now, seems fine, thanks for the advice, probably saved my $$$, beers are on me if we ever meet up :)

Cant tell you how many loose grub screws have been fixed on this forum-- but it is a lot-- it is a question that is asked two or three times a week -- common problem

To be fair, I crashed into two trees at about 4-5m, broke two props, am pretty surprised nothing got really damaged :)

Reactions: bobmyers
If you still have problems, check the screw at the camera to gimble post. After 5 days of pulling my hair out, I found this set screw was loose.

Refurbished stock P3S - out of factory warranty - no modifications. Firware/sofware versions: as received from DJI - no updates installed (at least none that I know of!) .

I am having a problem with the gimble not "settling in" upon powering up the drone's battery. I had to replace two broken parts on this gimble way back in July of this year - the pitch control arm and the gimble-to-damper-ball connector plate. After that I had to calibrate the gimble each time I powered up the drone [the camera would come to rest upon start-up, pointing at about 11 o'clock and with about a 10-degree counter-clockwise roll. Calibrating it took out the roll error but not the left-right yaw error.])

Tonight when I powered up in preparation for some early morning photo shooting the gimble went haywire. It shimmies and shakes, flips violently back and forth in all three axis, then sometimes stops with the camera lens facing about the 8 o'clock position (viewed from above). In that position it rapidly vibrates up and down in the pitch axis, yaws clockwise back to about the 1 o'clock position, where it again rapidly vibrates up and down in pitch for a few seconds, then back it goes to the 8 o'clock position - repeat - repeat - etc., etc, etc... To top it all off, the camera itself gets very, VERY hot.

All grub screws have been checked for proper orientation with their respective motor shafts and for tightness. All cable connections and cable conditions appear to be correct and undamaged. No unusual sounds can be heard coming from the gimble.

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl