Gimbal Guard + ND Filters = Problem :(

Reaction score
When I rotate the camera all the way it gets stuck on the gimbal guard :( I really dont want to have to take off the gimbal guard to use these filter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTK5KBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTK5KBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The gimbal guard I have on is the DJI Carbon Fiber Ziptied....

Anyone suggest any kind of fix? Flew out today and filmed but on the return home trip I wanted to film straight down, it got stuck and really made the video shakey and crazy as well as worried about gimbal breaking lol, thanks guys !

Instead of using a Gimbal Guard, how about a landing gear extender?

I guess I could go that route, I just really think the gimbal guard is better for protecting the gimbal camera setup....I'm surprised it didn't break the gimbal, the footage of the return home flight is brutal with it being hung up and shaking to get loose....scarrryyyy

If you can extend the height of the landing gear, you may still be able to use a gimbal guard/

I had that same problem. I just took the gimble guard off and you know the little notches that are cut into it to fit inside the landing gear? I filed those so they are a little bit wider and I was able to move the gimble guard back just a few millimeters so it cleared the camera. Simple fix and worked perfectly.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I had that same problem. I just took the gimble guard off and you know the little notches that are cut into it to fit inside the landing gear? I filed those so they are a little bit wider and I was able to move the gimble guard back just a few millimeters so it cleared the camera. Simple fix and worked perfectly.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the guard, to prevent something from hitting the camera?

I mounted it literally as close to the camera as possible just behind where it would hit. I think it will still help and gimbal guards most likely aren't going to save anything if the fall is from way up anyways. I've never flown with one up until 2 days ago because a friend had a spare he didn't want. Thanks man !

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the guard, to prevent something from hitting the camera?
No, Just means that when they put the notches in they put them slightly off where they were supposed to be to clear the camera when it does its dance when first powered up. It's impossible to put something directly under the camera for this very reason, and also for looking straight down when in flight. I get what your saying tho...

zip tie it underneath the landing gear as opposed to in between , the very corner of my camera hit mine , only need the thickness of the landing gear for clearance .

Gimbal guards are overrated imo. Many of them are pretty flimsy despite being made of cf and I suspect will simply break in the event of a crash and exposure the gimbal. As we've seen, it doesn't take much to damage the gimbal anyway.

I have a cf gimbal guard and it did not save me in a crash. One of the motors separated and the ribbon cable tore. Depending on the angle and force of impact it may or may not help you. I'm still flying with it anyway because I think it makes sense.
Same for prop guards. They work well when impacting solid objects at low speeds but are nearly worthless when encountering tree branches. Ask me how I know!
I'm still flying with all this stuff because I seem to be very accident prone.
A little more on topic, I like the idea of getting the extended landing gear and have thought of that myself. Only drawback is I don't think it will fit in my case :-(

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl