Gimbal Clamp really required??

Reaction score
Hi I currently have a dji lens cover I keep my P3 in the hard case backpack when not in use I may take my drone to Spain this year and was wondering do I really need a gimbal guard/clamp or is it not essential?? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes. It will protect it from sudden bumps on your way. Why risk it ?. Only takes a few seconds to fit..

I would recommend always using a gimbal clamp, especially if you are taking an extended trip. With the camera & gimbal floating around freely, one good bang could knock the camera out of alignment, or worse cause it to separate from the shaft & tear the ribbon cable. It would suck to arrive in Spain only to open the case & see your camera laying in the bottom! :eek: If using the factory clamp I suggest either a rubber band or velcro strap to keep it secured as they tend to wiggle off if not fully installed.

Can you recommend a good one I could purchase in the uk please?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My P3P from Bestbuy had the DJI gimbal lock slide out during shipping I guess. I got the bird home and there was no video feed. I realized the cable at the top of the gimbal plate was disconnected so I think during shipping the whole gimbal was knocked around quite a bit, enough that the rubber dampers stretched far enough to let the cable get unplugged. The gimbal had focus and tilt problems. I conclude that the gimbal and camera were damaged during shipping, I sent it to DJI and they changed the camera. The camera is very delicate on the P3, you definitely need a gimbal clamp and I suggest you get the type that locks onto the leg instead of connecting to the gimbal top plate. The type that locks onto the leg will keep the camera and gimbal from moving so much that the dampers stretch and the cables get unplugged. You will need to modify the foam in your case for the front leg where the gimbal lock clamps, but only a bit.

You definitely need support to Gimbal movements during transits. Its a delicate but an expensive item, better take care of it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl