Get Youtube videos to always play in HD?

Reaction score
Is there a way to make youtube videos play in HD for everyone by default? I notice many videos I see and the ones I've posted come up in 360, and you have to select 720 or 1080 hd. But not sure everyone knows how to do that and I'd like people to see the quality of what I'm posting. Many videos on Vimeo seem to default to HD, but not the youtube ones I've seen.

So is there a setting I can select when I post the video to play in HD by default for everyone?

Thx

CJ31 said:
Is there a way to make youtube videos play in HD for everyone by default? I notice many videos I see and the ones I've posted come up in 360, and you have to select 720 or 1080 hd. But not sure everyone knows how to do that and I'd like people to see the quality of what I'm posting. Many videos on Vimeo seem to default to HD, but not the youtube ones I've seen.

So is there a setting I can select when I post the video to play in HD by default for everyone?

Thx

I would say that's a bad idea because if someone has a slow internet connection, they would just skip over your video if it doesn't play on their computer or smart phone. So you are basically limiting your video exposure in my opinion.

I know exactly what you mean and I have tried to make it work without success. You can go to the settings option in Youtube and select always play in HD when I change to full screen. I have checked that option and it still does not work. I have begun to hate youtube and I used to love using it.

FangsCPO said:
CJ31 said:

Thx

I would say that's a bad idea because if someone has a slow internet connection, they would just skip over your video if it doesn't play on their computer or smart phone. So you are basically limiting your video exposure in my opinion.

I will be sending links to certain people and don't care about exposure. And I doubt it will be anyone without a broadband connection or an LTE smartphone. I just want them to play in HD so they can see the full quality of what the system can do.

Maybe I will post to vimeo instead. As I said, it seems like Vimeo plays in HD by default. Does anyone know if that's the std setup for vimeo or do you have to make a selection?

When you upload you have to specify if you want it to play in 1080p. It defaults to 720p when you first upload. If you switch it to 1080p you get a little message stating that some people might not be able to play the file.

Look for an extension for your browser to do this. On chrome you can use something like "auto hd for YouTube." It doesn't let you force other people's settings on your videos, but it lets you make your own system always play in HD.

When you are on your video click share, you will see the URL. You can then click a button that says HD or start from this point or similar.

Click HD and it'll append the code to default to hd

jasperthayer said:
CJ31 said:
I will be sending links to certain people and don't care about exposure. And I doubt it will be anyone without a broadband connection or an LTE smartphone. I just want them to play in HD so they can see the full quality of what the system can do.

To share an HD YouTube video link change the URL to the following syntax and replace v= SPaIFZFije8 with your video ID. The vq URL parameter stands for Video Quality. Change the value to 720 if you do not have 1080 HD available. HD quality is (auto), so if you do not have the bandwidth to play an HD video then YouTube will play the highest resolution that your current bandwidth can handle.

Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?&vq=hd1080&v=SPaIFZFije8

Click here for an HD YouTube video URL example https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?&vq ... PaIFZFije8

There's a list of other YouTube URL parameters available here https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters

The best method would be to embed the video in your website and use embed parameters provided in the previous link to control the settings of how the video is viewed.

I cant seem to get this to work... I copy the code, delete v=SPalFZFije8, paste my entire youtube video id there and then click on the new link and it just takes me to a blank white youtube screen. Please help. Thanks.

chrisc said:
When you are on your video click share, you will see the URL. You can then click a button that says HD or start from this point or similar.

i am trying this right now on my own videos and see no such button

chrisc said:

I see the start from but I don't see anything to do with HD.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl