Genuine Carbon Propellers

Reaction score
Hello :)

I know that exist several threads about it but what do you think about the Genuine Dji Carbon Prop found on the DJI store ? (30,00 € for 4 props)

Thank you

Thinking of getting a set myself. They say they are carbon reenforced, not full carbon fiber so I don't know if they would be brittle. Supposed to be more "aerodynamic and lightweight enabling greater thrust". I've also read that they make the aircraft more stable in windy conditions.
Personally... I've put a carbon fiber looking skin on mine and want them because I think they'll look good. lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thinking of getting a set myself. They say they are carbon reenforced, not full carbon fiber so I don't know if they would be brittle. Supposed to be more "aerodynamic and lightweight enabling greater thrust". I've also read that they make the aircraft more stable in windy conditions.
Personally... I've put a carbon fiber looking skin on mine and want them because I think they'll look good. lol

I have a set of the ones sold on the DJI site. There very good, and the only thing I didn't like was that three of the four needed to be balanced. Yes, I'm one that does check my props and balances them if needed. On some good points you brought up here, "they are carbon re-enforced, not full carbon fiber" That's why I went with these over some real CF props you can get online. "Supposed to be more aerodynamic and lightweight enabling greater thrust". Agree with this also, they are. But think that has more to do with being stiffer. "More stable in windy conditions" Disagree here though, haven't tested too much in the wind yet but my feeling is a prop with more give would be more stable, as it can flex when buffered.

In general terms any CF re-inforced or full CF prop or rotor blade should be better for your motor and power system. Why ? The transfer of thrust and energy is more uniform and stable. You get higher efficiency from the more stable blade shape and form.

I disagree about not better in wind ... I would say they would be better because the IMU / Flight Controller would have more effect in the buffeting and control the AC better.

But would I pay 30 Euros for a set ? No actually !! The stock plastics seem to do very well ... but each to their own.

On my fixed wing models - I use GFN where possible ... Glass Filled Nylon ... they are commonly called Composite props now ... extremely stiff and able to take the vibration / firing strokes of fuel engines as well as provide excellent for E power.... APC, Master Airscrew, JFN, etc.

A form of prop I saw other day that I would never consider for these Phantoms ... WOOD .... Yes I saw a set of Beech Wood props for Phantom ... they look nice ... but not for me !! I use Beech as well on my Fixed Wing ... but they are brittle !!

Nigel

In general terms any CF re-inforced or full CF prop or rotor blade should be better for your motor and power system. Why ? The transfer of thrust and energy is more uniform and stable. You get higher efficiency from the more stable blade shape and form.

Nigel

This may be true on your planks but what about the closed-loop systems on these MRs?

They were tuned for the stock OEM props so these may actually not be better in any way (except static appearance).

Lots of 'it feels' this or that but no one has come close to the DOE required to make any claims other than what they feel.

You won't get the carbon fibre look from the DJI offering, they are a uniform black colour.

What about the increased potential to injure, either the owner or public? Its the main reason i've not consider them.

What about the increased potential to injure, either the owner or public? Its the main reason i've not consider them.
I own both, don't think one's going to cause anymore damage than the other. Can't be worried about every little thing that might harm you, maybe. Otherwise we'd never leave the house. I'm more worried about taking a long drive on the highway or riding a bike on the roads that could end your life, to name just two. Than what my Phantom prop is made of. IMHO

I own both, don't think one's going to cause anymore damage than the other. Can't be worried about every little thing that might harm you, maybe. Otherwise we'd never leave the house. I'm more worried about taking a long drive on the highway or riding a bike on the roads that could end your life, to name just two. Than what my Phantom prop is made of. IMHO

The evidence says otherwise.

Im not worried about myself, if my actions cause harm to myself so bit. Im worried about the general public, children etc Countless accounts of drones going awol. I suppose if you live in a sparsely populated area its not so much of a concern.

This may be true on your planks but what about the closed-loop systems on these MRs?

They were tuned for the stock OEM props so these may actually not be better in any way (except static appearance).

Lots of 'it feels' this or that but no one has come close to the DOE required to make any claims other than what they feel.

The closed loop as you call it would benefit immediately by virtue of constant stable prop form. No blades bending during changes of thrust ... planks or MR's - principle is still same.

CF props are light, strong and usually uniformly balanced.

Nigel

The stock blades will slice just as well as a CF .... the potential to injure is in the hands of the idiot in the sticks ...

Nigel

The thinner and stiffer carbon blades do have a slightly greater potential to cause more injury to a person than the stock blades

Hello and thank you for your answers :)

So to conclude the official DJI plastic propellers are the best choice !

The thinner and stiffer carbon blades do have a slightly greater potential to cause more injury to a person than the stock blades

The stock blades have a nice knife edge that will slice your skin as good as any CF blade will ..... when a blade even blunt is spinning at a few 000 rpm - it makes little odds if its wood, CF or plastic ...

I've seen the old flexi nylon props do horrendous injuries ...

Blades are blades .....

Nigel

Not a matter of best ... they DO the Job ..

Nigel

The stock blades have a nice knife edge that will slice your skin as good as any CF blade will ..... when a blade even blunt is spinning at a few 000 rpm - it makes little odds if its wood, CF or plastic ...

I've seen the old flexi nylon props do horrendous injuries ...

Blades are blades .....

Nigel

Couldn't agree more. Ever hit your foot with a weed wacker? And that is just a nylon cord and I expect moving much slower than a prop!

As you can see you opened up a can of worms asking this question. I saw that coming, when you're on the fourms for a while you'll see there's two or three subjects that are not ever going to have a conclusive answer. There's just going to be at least two sides to the subject and you have to make your decision weather you're going with one opinion or the other. Same thing happens when you mention the prop guard question.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl