Futaba T8J binding or RX install

Reaction score
I'm trying to use my Futaba T8J in my Phantom 2. It worked great in my Phantom 1, but I'm running into problems with it in v2.

I tried two install methods. The first was to bind the existing receiver to the FT8J, but I could not bind the two. Another thread here suggested that they cannot be bound (Futaba radio to DJI RX) but I had read elsewhere that they can be bound. Does anyone know definitively which is true? My experience suggests the former.

The second install method I tried was to swap the receiver control from the DJI RX to the Futaba RX. Unlike the v1, there are two identical wire sets coming (x2 and X3) out of the Naza (now labeled Phantom) and connecting to the RX board. I connected the same port number (X2) to the Futaba RX and was able to see control values all in the correct range in the DJI software when connected to a computer, but I could not get the props to spin up with the Futaba RX (by radio disconnected from the computer). The DJI radio works fine.

Any pointers? Also is the RX board doing double duty now ans is needed for something else? What is the second connector for?

Thanks!

I will try and help you the way I understand things at the moment.

The Phantom 2 has a Futaba FASST compatible receiver, this will only suit Futaba Transmitters that use FASST technology, e.g. Futaba 8FGs or 14sg.

Your T8J uses Futaba FHSS technology, that is why it will not bind.

The second cable on the Phantom 2 receiver will be used via the assistant software to upgrade the receiver firmware when required.

Not sure why you cannot use your current Futaba receiver using S-Bus, but I understand their are options missing for standard receivers at the moment, so it may be the DJI D-Bus is not exactly compatible with S-Bus at the moment.

Dave

jzibble said:
I'm trying to use my Futaba T8J in my Phantom 2. It worked great in my Phantom 1, but I'm running into problems with it in v2.

I tried two install methods. The first was to bind the existing receiver to the FT8J, but I could not bind the two. Another thread here suggested that they cannot be bound (Futaba radio to DJI RX) but I had read elsewhere that they can be bound. Does anyone know definitively which is true? My experience suggests the former.

The second install method I tried was to swap the receiver control from the DJI RX to the Futaba RX. Unlike the v1, there are two identical wire sets coming (x2 and X3) out of the Naza (now labeled Phantom) and connecting to the RX board. I connected the same port number (X2) to the Futaba RX and was able to see control values all in the correct range in the DJI software when connected to a computer, but I could not get the props to spin up with the Futaba RX (by radio disconnected from the computer). The DJI radio works fine.

Any pointers? Also is the RX board doing double duty now ans is needed for something else? What is the second connector for?

Thanks!

hi

did you ever get this working, i am thinking of buying a T8J but no point if it does not work with the Phantom 2

T8j is not plug and play for the phantom 2. As stated above. You will need to install the T8J rx which is more weight and more hassle. Get a futaba with FAAST. check ebay for used ones if you are on a budget.

i dont mind installing the rx, to be truthful i would install no matter what, i just need to know if it will work once i install the RX

contact fdnyfish on this forum, he has Futaba t8j bound to a Phantom 2

EMCSQUAR said:

thanks, i just sent him a PM, i am trying to decide, get the Futaba T8J or the taranis

EMCSQUAR said:
It would be nice if he could come on here and just explain to us how he did it...??
Thinking about adding a P2 to my "stable", and already have a P1.0 with Futaba T8J with the TX and RX module.....so it would be nice to keep the PH2's TX, and just bind what I have now to it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl