Frustrated newbe

Reaction score
Given that the weather in our area is too cold for outside work, I am just trying to see if I can get my Phantom 1 to start up--sans propellers--inside. Thus far after I boot it up, set the GPS all I get is a flashing green light and the motors never start. What is going wrong? I'm beginning to think I made a mistake or got a bad copter. Am I missing something. The manual indicates that a series of green flashes mean "Record forward direction or home point" and I have no idea what that means. While, at 75 years of age, I'm still fairly computer literate but never having worked with remote control craft some of the terminology has me stumped. Help!

Have you tried pulling both sticks down and to the center after series of green lights?

EMCSQUAR said:
Have you tried pulling both sticks down and to the center after series of green lights?
Yes, straight down, both down to the left, both down to the right, one left and one right--nothing. I even braved 20 degree temperatures and 10 degree windchill to go out on the lawn, still nothing.

Been there and done that only a few short weeks ago. Thankfully it is all behind me and flying is now fun. Have you downloaded the assistant software to a computer, hooked up your quad and calibrated it? If so it might just be you haven't found the correct combination of stick positions to start your motors - there is more than one - I came across a chart not too long ago showing the various motor start positing variations for the Phantom but can't find it for you know. Mine starts with both sticks down and out. Left stick at 23 minutes before the hour and right stick at 23 minutes after the hour.

@woodwort

What colored flashing lights do you get?

Also check the transmitter us bound to the receiver in the phantom, look under the middle of the phantom, there is a single small led, it should be green all the time that the transmitter is turned on.

TomBro said:
Been there and done that only a few short weeks ago. Thankfully it is all behind me and flying is now fun. Have you downloaded the assistant software to a computer, hooked up your quad and calibrated it? If so it might just be you haven't found the correct combination of stick positions to start your motors - there is more than one - I came across a chart not too long ago showing the various motor start positing variations for the Phantom but can't find it for you know. Mine starts with both sticks down and out. Left stick at 23 minutes before the hour and right stick at 23 minutes after the hour.

Thanks TomBro that worked! :D Now if the weather warms up......

@woodmort

While you are waiting for it to warm up. I'd recommend you read the FlyAways threads on this forum.

Its important to make sure your Phantom gets its home point etc set before you fly.

You may also want to consider switching to Naza mode (using the Assistant Software) - there is some debate over this, as it gives you more control, but also more responsibility not to push the switches into the wrong flight mode.
Personally, I'd rather have the more control options.

RogerClark said:
@woodmort

While you are waiting for it to warm up. I'd recommend you read the FlyAways threads on this forum.

Its important to make sure your Phantom gets its home point etc set before you fly.

You may also want to consider switching to Naza mode (using the Assistant Software) - there is some debate over this, as it gives you more control, but also more responsibility not to push the switches into the wrong flight mode.
Personally, I'd rather have the more control options.
RogerClark--You're confusing me. I have downloaded and accessed all the Assistant Software available. I'm using the RC transmitter that came with my Phantom as well as making sure I have the copter's S2 on GPS and the home point set before even attempting to start the motors. What else is there to do?

@woodmort

In the Assistant software, there is a button in the middle at the top, that will read "Phantom" or "Phantom 2" for you.

If you push that button, it brings up a warning saying something like you are going into an advanced mode.

This is OK.

You will then get more options on screen which allow you to set things like what the 3rd position (down) on the right hand switch (S1) does. I have mine set to Fail Safe not GPS.

It also allows you to set if you want it to just land or go to Home and land, if it looses signal (or you put it into Fail Safe from the radio control)

And it allows you to use IOC

I think there is also an advanced IMU calibration thing and possibly more settings (I cant fully remember all the differences)

Take a look on the forum for "Naza mode" there will be some more detailed postings e.g.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5794

Of course, how hard would it have been just to have an on/off toggle switch for the motors? Just saying.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl