Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Just read this entire post - I'm in Canada and our rules are not as strict as in the USA. After following the FAA links some posted - it is pretty obvious you not only have to register - very clear language also as to placing the registration number on your drone - I can't understand the confusion the OP has with this.

To the guy here who thinks he is above all that (registration) - I hope you don't find out the "hard way" that you do have to register.

Obviously he doesn't own a boat since the registration number must be attached to the hull also in clear view (or maybe he does own a boat and doesn't agree with registration there also).

I don't understand the issues some have with registration, think of all the UAV's out there, there has to be some kind of control, registration, rules & laws for flying work! A $5.00 fee is hardly a money grab !

No different than registering and licensing any motorized vehicle that is using public roadways and waterways. Registration, licensing, obeying the laws and rules - all are there for our own good!.

Slightly off topic but relevant ... I watched a YouTube video by a guy who lives in Florida, who while on vacation flew his drone in Yellowstone National Park and posted the video on YouTube with a title something like "Flying a drone in Yellowstone Park". Obviously, he too was an "uninformed" operator (to say the least). He was contacted by phone by the Park Rangers in Yellowstone. Not knowing the rules, he admitted to flying the drone, taking and posting the video. They told him that he would be cited and would have to pay a fine of $1,300. He pleaded "ignorance" but they told him that they are actively screening YouTube videos and were pursuing anyone they can who violated this "Federal law". They told him that he may have to appear before a judge in Wyoming. He consulted lawyers who all told him that their services would be well beyond the $1,300 to fight it. Eventually, they (Ranger) called him back to tell him that he could "appear" before the judge by phone and not have to be present. When he talked to the judge, the judge granted a certain amount of leniency and reduced the fine to $1,100. He also told him that the official citation would have to be hand delivered and a park ranger from Everglades National Park actually showed up at his door with the citation. All of this went down prior to the FAA rule for registration. I believe that this video was genuine. The creator was suitably embarrassed and humble in his recounting of the experience. He said that he was posting this video as a simple warning to others that they need to know what the rules and regs actually are before flying .... and back on topic :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sagebrush
Slightly off topic but relevant ... I watched a YouTube video by a guy who lives in Florida, who while on vacation flew his drone in Yellowstone National Park and posted the video on YouTube with a title something like "Flying a drone in Yellowstone Park". Obviously, he too was an "uninformed" operator (to say the least). He was contacted by phone by the Park Rangers in Yellowstone. Not knowing the rules, he admitted to flying the drone, taking and posting the video.

Yikes that sounds more like some "fake" people trolling YouTube for opportunities to make some fast cash - maybe even some crooked park Rangers! Never heard of anything like that happening - let alone being given the opportunity to discuss this over the phone with a judge??

I would think he should have contacted the park in person when this occurred. I know I wouldn't pay some fine set by a judge over the phone and a guy in a uniform showing up at my door.

I could be wrong but I understood you can fly "over" National Parks - you just can't take off or land inside the park boundaries in the USA.

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Stubblefield, There are two registrations, one for non-commercial and one for commercial. The non-commercial is easy by filling out on-line and paying $5.00. An option is available to buy number stickers for your drone. My stickers had my name and phone number listed if lost. The commercial require testing and is costly.

Stubblefield, There are two registrations, one for non-commercial and one for commercial. The non-commercial is easy by filling out on-line and paying $5.00. An option is available to buy number stickers for your drone. My stickers had my name and phone number listed if lost. The commercial require testing and is costly.

Commercial registration cost the same. 5 bucks.

Wow, what a ride this thread has been. My first response was, "where is the web page that details the schedule (cost) of fines for various FAA violations for UAV/UAS operations?".

Second, I've met and flown UAV with an FAA agent. While I'm sure as time goes on this will change, but he said the first contact with a drone operator operating outside regulations is a "come to jesus meeting". When the operator is educated regarding rules/regulations and the long arm of the law. For younger operators, this maybe a meeting with their parents too.

Of course second such meetings are not delightful conversations, probably leading to fines or more.

Based on reading posts in this discussion forum for a year or more, I don't think I've read about many fines that have been leveed for failure to register.

Reactions: thedjtec
thanks man but shouldn't the govt put that in more plain english all over the website especially on the certificate itself. It list other rules like don't fly above 400ft,never fly next to airports etc BUT NOT ONE WORD ABOUT PUTTING THE **** STICKER ON THE DRONE. NOT A WORD
I've read it in a few places on the FAA site, you're not looking too hard than. Had mine labeled withing 15 mins of knowing my number.

Wow, what a ride this thread has been. My first response was, "where is the web page that details the schedule (cost) of fines for various FAA violations for UAV/UAS operations?".

Second, I've met and flown UAV with an FAA agent. While I'm sure as time goes on this will change, but he said the first contact with a drone operator operating outside regulations is a "come to jesus meeting". When the operator is educated regarding rules/regulations and the long arm of the law. For younger operators, this maybe a meeting with their parents too.

Of course second such meetings are not delightful conversations, probably leading to fines or more.

Based on reading posts in this discussion forum for a year or more, I don't think I've read about many fines that have been leveed for failure to register.

You're absolutely correct! The FAA is extremely lenient in certain circumstances. If you maliciously did something, they will rain hell down; but if you didn't know better they always attempt to educate. My 107 proctor was a FAA investigator and let me take him to lunch to pick his brain after the exam :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

You are mistaken. Registration is for everyone. It's easy to do.
sUAS Registration

Be sure to put the registration number on your drone and carry the printed registration with you.

If you want to fly your drone commercially, the FAA wants you to pass a test that covers safety, understanding of controlled air spaces, etc. They want to be sure you can safely coexist with manned aircraft.

Last edited:
I don't think so. It's purpose is probably to identify the owner in case of an accident. The government is "working" on new rules, because the current ones are ridiculous

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period. Because the only way i found out about taping the number to your drone was from this site. I could not find it any where on the faa site that you have to tape the number to your drone.

Here are my questions. Do you have to put the faa number on your drone?
If yes, why isn't on their website instucting people to do it?

We would all like to know who are the "aviation police"? Also, you didn't let us know what Airport or State you are talking about. Sounds like a bad rumor to me. Please fill in the blanks. Most of the folks that fly Quad-Copters know that one must register with the FAA. Some choose to ignore the law and those folks are the ones that give the law abiding citizens the "blackeyes". If this turns out to be just a rumor, it is best not to post here unless all the information is true and factual.

You are mistaken... As has been stated...

Before you fly outside you must: Register your UAS if it weighs more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds
  • Label your UAS with your registration number
  • Read and understand all safety guidelines
If you are going to fly for commercial purposes.... take and the Part 107 Knowledge Test you must register the drone as a commercial unit.

If you are on this forum.... you most likely purchased a DJI drone. In the box that your drone came in you will find instructions to register the unit.

The poor guy has been told about ten times already.

Reactions: thedjtec and Budman
You are mistaken. The registration for commercial flying is much higher than the $5 fee referenced in previous replies. The registration associated with the $5 fee applies to any drone above a certain weight (I think the minimum weight is around one-half pound).

BT

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart