Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

Some neighbor turned him in. The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said he got the fine because he didn't have registration on drone. But I think it's because he wasn't registered period.

it wasnt because you guys were whipping power wheelies down the street while filming with the drone....was it...?

:rolleyes:

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Registration of the aircraft is commercial. Hobby is registration of pilot only. All pilots must have certificate whether flying under 107 or small drones commercially or hobby. If hobby only then operator must be registered and his number on all of his aircraft and if commercial then both operator ( with test) and individual aircraft must be registered.

Exactly. Somebody didn't make the least bit of effort to do their homework.

Something about this "friend of a friend" story seems fishy to me. How would the neighbors know whether the drone was registered? How did the "aviation police" (Is there such a thing? I don't think so.) get access to the drone to prove the friend of a friend even owned a drone, much less whether it had the registration on it?

"No, officer, I don't own a drone. Must be someone else in the neighborhood."

By the way, the OP had his questions in this thread answered in December when he had similar concerns back then: How Does the FAA know what drone I am flying?

Hey dude it sounded wild to me too. I just got the phone called before I posted it. Maybe I shouldnt have aviation police it was airport police. And I asked my friend the same question if he was still flying when the fuzz got there and he didn't know. So i am guessing he was still flying because of cops come to my house I ain't answering the door unless they have a warrant. But as far as the neighbor knowing where he lived my neighbors see me fly my drone all the time and they know where I live.

But as far as the neighbor knowing where he lived my neighbors see me fly my drone all the time and they know where I live.
But the POLICE don't know he was the one flying the drone, and unless they catch him in the act that's all that matters.

I'm pretty sure the guy could successfully fight the fine unless he was caught red-handed. Even then, I've never heard of fines that high being given on a first offense for a new law, unless there are other aggravating circumstances, like he was flying it too close to the airport. And then the fine wouldn't be for lack of registration, it would be for flying in a NFZ.

Reactions: Budman and GregWV
agreed. actually my friend said they wanted to take him to jail. But he talked them into giving him a fine instead. It could be a couple of newbie cops trying to make a name. not sure. i will post if I find out anything new.

If the government was being greedy the registration fee would be a hell of a lot more than $5 for three years worth of flying. In fact, the FAA probably loses money on the deal, considering administrative costs.
You are not paying the government the fee. Like the IP domain used to be, it is a private group. read the REAL small print on web page.

His big mistake was in talking to them, and letting them into his house.
"Come back with a warrant" then get on line and register while they are gone. They never saw the drone flying so can't claim you flew it before it was registered.

but time to look for new neighbors, or buy them out so you don't have them.

Agreed: The burden of proof lies with law enforcement; this fella could have saved himself aggravation and money if he knew his rights. That said, he should have just spent $5.00 and as many minutes getting the 3 year registration - ignorance is no defense.

Still, an $1,800 fine seems pretty steep for a first offense unless there was more to the story that was told to you, by the guy... whose friend got in trouble.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You are not paying the government the fee. Like the IP domain used to be, it is a private group. read the REAL small print on web page.
I'm eager to hear your conspiracy theory. Who do you think the fee is going to?

Reactions: Meta4
Glad I saw this. I forgot to label my drone.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Interesting Observation/Factoid ... Per an Excel File on the page linked below, there are now a bit over 460,000 registered UAS users/owners/pilots in the US. I bet that number is LESS than the actual drone owners out there (look under Additional Resources).

Fly for Fun

BS meter pegged out.

You DID ask this question before on the 22nd, and were told here on this very board you attach it to the quad. Ignorance is no excuse, plain and simple. End of story there, your friend got what's coming to him. Thought it might be like getting out of a speeding ticket eh? Welcome to FEDERAL REGULATIONS.

Airport police wouldn't go off airport to find a drone operator, it would be coordinated with local police/state, etc. The whole story is still not being told here.

Yeah, as a full size heli pilot, I don't have any sympathy for you in this case, especially when you posted and asked beforehand. I've also been very vocal here that we'll be seeing many more examples of people getting fined, and who'll claim ignorance as a defense.

Stubblefield, yes, you are mistaken, you still go thru the register process for flying it as a hobby (non-commercial), in which case the registration number assigned to you goes on all of your aircraft.

If you register and indicate commercial use, you'll get a registration number for EACH aircraft you intend to use for the operations.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures