How Does the FAA know what drone I am flying?

Reaction score
I registered my Hubsan(my drone fix till my Mavic ships) on the FAA website last night. Besides having trouble with my work address and my physical address I finished and paid my $5. The thing is they never asked me what I was flying or any S/N. So how do they know it is my drone if it flew away and caused damage?

Also since I have an FAA number for this drone do I have to get another one for the Mavic when it comes in. I'm confused. Govt stuff is soo stupid.

You don't seem to fully understand the requirements yet you are categorizing 'it' as stupid???

For the hobby/recreational operator, registering your drone is a bit of mis-characterization.

You are actually registering yourself.

Use the same FAA number on all your aircraft and carry a paper or electronic copy of your registration at all times.

The reason I categorize it as stupid is.... how do they know whose drone it is if it does some damage somewhere? If you say the S/N then why the registration in the first place just another way for the govt to make money from it's citizens? I mean what is the point of the registration if you don't actually register the drone itself? I don't get it please explain.

Also since I am registered now for whatever reason do I have to register again when I receive the mavic pro?

how do they know whose drone it is if it does some damage somewhere?
You are supposed to somehow attach your FAA registration number to your drones. If found, the FAA will look up your FAA registration number and easily trace it back to you.

since I am registered now for whatever reason do I have to register again when I receive the mavic pro?
No. Attach the same FAA registration number to all of your drones.

Reactions: Falcon900
You are supposed to somehow attach your FAA registration number to your drones. If found, the FAA will look up your FAA registration number and easily trace it back to you.

No. Attach the same FAA registration number to all of your drones.
oh ok now I see. Thanks. For some reason I don't remember seeing that when I registered. Thanks.

I registered my Hubsan(my drone fix till my Mavic ships) on the FAA website last night. Besides having trouble with my work address and my physical address I finished and paid my $5. The thing is they never asked me what I was flying or any S/N. So how do they know it is my drone if it flew away and caused damage?

Also since I have an FAA number for this drone do I have to get another one for the Mavic when it comes in. I'm confused. Govt stuff is soo stupid.

In all fairness, it's not the Gov't but a few extremely irresponsible pilots that now require registration.

I was a little confused as well because why go through all the trouble of gathering info from us and making us pay but don't actually gather any info?

I have a feeling it's to get people to feel like there is some kind of accountability and that it's not as casual as it used to be.

Worked for me...

You needed to register using the other option instead of the hobby/recreation option then you would have had that option I suggest you register using the other uptick that will allow you to do sport events etc and fly further knowing your aircraft is registered either way ..that way your in the green [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What... you are questioning the FAA's claim that this will solve all drone related problems? How dare you! :)

It was comical when the FAA was questioned how this would help solve any issue as no drone = no registration info. They simply stated that the issue was not getting the drone... it was after they had the done the difficult part was tracing it to the owner. As if 1) they almost never get the drone (despite their claim) and 2) everyone does place the reg number in the drone... especially when they know it's being use for an illegal purpose. What this system did accomplish is getting people off our backs as they bought into the idea that this would somehow solve any issue.

You needed to register using the other option instead of the hobby/recreation option then you would have had that option I suggest you register using the other uptick that will allow you to do sport events etc and fly further knowing your aircraft is registered either way ..that way your in the green [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by other option. If you don't have/hold an FAA Part 107 certification you must fly within Part 101 guidelines (hobby/recreation).
Simply choosing the other 'option' does not convey additional authorizations.

If you indicate that you will use the drone for commercial purposes, you must register each drone separately, and pay for each. Each will have their own FAA number.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you indicate that you will use the drone for commercial purposes, you must register each drone separately, and pay for each. Each will have their own FAA number.

Sent from my Android using PhantomPilots
So, I have my two drones registered for hobby/recreational use. To learn more about the hobby and the FAA rules governing remote pilots, I took the Part 107exam. Good news is that I passed. Not so good news, according to you, is that I need to now have my drones registered as "possible" commercial drones. Does this mean I need to start the process all over again or can I change one registration to commercial (keeping the existing #) and then acquiring a new # registration for the other?

Last edited:
So, I have my two drones registered for hobby/recreational use. To learn more about the hobby and the FAA rules governing remote pilots, I took the Part 107exam. Good news is that I passed. Not so good news, according to you, is that I need to now have my drones registered as "possible" commercial drones. Does this mean I need to start the process all over again or can I change one registration to commercial (keeping the existing #) and then acquiring a new # registration for the other?

You ONLY register it as a Commercial UAS if you plan to USE it as a Commercial UAS. Simply passing the Part 107 itself does not mean you are required to use the privileges that comes with it.

If you DO decide to use and register it as a Commercial UAS you simply go back to the FAA Registration website and this time pick the Non-Model section (on the right) and register the specific UAS as a Commercial Aircraft. Then you remove any existing reg#'s and apply the new Commercial UAS Reg# to the designated aircraft. You do this ONLY on the aircraft you plan to use as a Commercial UAS. Hobby aircraft do not change reg#.

You ONLY register it as a Commercial UAS if you plan to USE it as a Commercial UAS. Simply passing the Part 107 itself does not mean you are required to use the privileges that comes with it.

If you DO decide to use and register it as a Commercial UAS you simply go back to the FAA Registration website and this time pick the Non-Model section (on the right) and register the specific UAS as a Commercial Aircraft. Then you remove any existing reg#'s and apply the new Commercial UAS Reg# to the designated aircraft. You do this ONLY on the aircraft you plan to use as a Commercial UAS. Hobby aircraft do not change reg#.
Thank you much ! ?$

Reactions: BigAl07
The reason I categorize it as stupid is.... how do they know whose drone it is if it does some damage somewhere? If you say the S/N then why the registration in the first place just another way for the govt to make money from it's citizens? I mean what is the point of the registration if you don't actually register the drone itself? I don't get it please explain.

Also since I am registered now for whatever reason do I have to register again when I receive the mavic pro?

They will know because the number the FAA issues you is supposed to be displayed somewhere on your drone wether it be permanent marker or stickers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik