FPV stopped working: Is this really the solution?

Reaction score
I have posted about my issue previously and spent God knows how long deliberating over it. Basically, Phantom 2, Zenmuse 3D gimbal, Gopro hero 3 black, VTX and generic monitor with built in receiver.Purchased pre assembeled.

This worked fine for approx 4 months, then on one flight, nothing. No crashes, knocks or bangs - No snowy screen, just a black screen "no signal" displayed. After checking the channels, checking the monitor, checking the vtx, all seemed to be individually working fine. So reaching a dead end of my ability I had to admit defeat and send it away and pay for a professional to trouble shoot. I got this reply yesterday but am stumped by it.

"on the video feed from inside the craft there is just one yellow cable connected, this I presume is the signal wire, but there needs to be a ground aswell, so thats missing and that would stop the video signal form being transmitted."

Is this right? How can it be? I have not removed any wires at all and it used to work fine....... Keen to know as I don't want to pay for unnecessary workshop time to do something that doesn't fix my issue..... :?

Thoughts really appreciated.

pilsburypie said:
I have posted about my issue previously and spent God knows how long deliberating over it. Basically, Phantom 2, Zenmuse 3D gimbal, Gopro hero 3 black, VTX and generic monitor with built in receiver.Purchased pre assembeled.

This worked fine for approx 4 months, then on one flight, nothing. No crashes, knocks or bangs - No snowy screen, just a black screen "no signal" displayed. After checking the channels, checking the monitor, checking the vtx, all seemed to be individually working fine. So reaching a dead end of my ability I had to admit defeat and send it away and pay for a professional to trouble shoot. I got this reply yesterday but am stumped by it.

"on the video feed from inside the craft there is just one yellow cable connected, this I presume is the signal wire, but there needs to be a ground aswell, so thats missing and that would stop the video signal form being transmitted."

Is this right? How can it be? I have not removed any wires at all and it used to work fine....... Keen to know as I don't want to pay for unnecessary workshop time to do something that doesn't fix my issue..... :?

Thoughts really appreciated.
If the board is getting power, there is a ground wire.
It would be a lot easier if you could find someone with a similar setup nearby.

"No Signal" usually means that the receiver is not receiving a signal from the transmitter. If you can get an old UHF TV receiver, 5.8GHz is between channels 32 and 33 - you might be able to find the signal there.

"No Signal" usually means that the receiver is not receiving a signal from the transmitter. If you can get an old UHF TV receiver, 5.8GHz is between channels 32 and 33 - you might be able to find the signal there.

Err.. Not in the UK. Channel 33 is more like 550MHz, not 5880MHz.

I would think that your TX has lost power for some reason. This could be a faulty TX, or just a simple cable failure. I suggest you find a local shop with some basic test gear, or failing that, buy a cheap, low power TX and use this to test the rest of the gear.

If you can come over to Lincs / Leics (I live on the border) I can happily sort this out with you. I have spare TXs and test equipment, plus other monitors and RXs, so we can substitute items until we find the problem.

Thank you all for your suggestions and offers of help. This has hopefully been sorted now by quadcopters.co.uk. I'm expecting it back on Monday.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart