Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

FPV stopped working: Is this really the solution?

Discussion in 'FPV (First Person View)' started by pilsburypie, Dec 14, 2014.

1. pilsburypie

I have posted about my issue previously and spent God knows how long deliberating over it. Basically, Phantom 2, Zenmuse 3D gimbal, Gopro hero 3 black, VTX and generic monitor with built in receiver.Purchased pre assembeled.

This worked fine for approx 4 months, then on one flight, nothing. No crashes, knocks or bangs - No snowy screen, just a black screen "no signal" displayed. After checking the channels, checking the monitor, checking the vtx, all seemed to be individually working fine. So reaching a dead end of my ability I had to admit defeat and send it away and pay for a professional to trouble shoot. I got this reply yesterday but am stumped by it.

"on the video feed from inside the craft there is just one yellow cable connected, this I presume is the signal wire, but there needs to be a ground aswell, so thats missing and that would stop the video signal form being transmitted."

Is this right? How can it be? I have not removed any wires at all and it used to work fine....... Keen to know as I don't want to pay for unnecessary workshop time to do something that doesn't fix my issue..... :?

Thoughts really appreciated.

2. SteveMann

If the board is getting power, there is a ground wire.
    It would be a lot easier if you could find someone with a similar setup nearby.

3. pilsburypie

Steve

I know of no one near me unfortunately. Just to clarify what you said, about the board getting power.... what board?

4. SteveMann

"No Signal" usually means that the receiver is not receiving a signal from the transmitter. If you can get an old UHF TV receiver, 5.8GHz is between channels 32 and 33 - you might be able to find the signal there.

5. d4ddyo

can you post your setup? what monitor, vtx. vRx?

6. noiseboy72

Err.. Not in the UK. Channel 33 is more like 550MHz, not 5880MHz.

I would think that your TX has lost power for some reason. This could be a faulty TX, or just a simple cable failure. I suggest you find a local shop with some basic test gear, or failing that, buy a cheap, low power TX and use this to test the rest of the gear.

If you can come over to Lincs / Leics (I live on the border) I can happily sort this out with you. I have spare TXs and test equipment, plus other monitors and RXs, so we can substitute items until we find the problem.

7. pilsburypie

Thank you all for your suggestions and offers of help. This has hopefully been sorted now by quadcopters.co.uk. I'm expecting it back on Monday.....