FPV Setup Issues

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just recently got my DJI Phantom 2 from DSLRPROS.com

I got the Toronto Cinema Edition P2 Aerial Kit - http://www.dslrpros.com/dslrpros-produc ... d-301.html
DJI Phantom 2 Go Pro Aerial Rig
DJI Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal (3-Axis gimbal pre-installed and tuned)
DJI Self-Tightening 9" Props (set of 4)
DSLRPros 9" Carbon Fiber CF Props (set of 4)
DSLRPros 9" Prop Guards
Deluxe DSLRPros Radio Tx Lanyard
2 Total DJI OEM 5200 mAH LiPo Batteries
1 Total DJI Flight Pack Charging Block
DSLRPros P2 Tough Case with pre-cut foam
Integrated 5.8 GHz Long Range Diversity FPV System (7" HD Field Monitor, Long Range Diversity Rx/Tx, Pole/Panel Antenna)
DSLRPros Fire Safe LiPo Guard Bag

It works great but I cant get much range on the FPV side. Even though I have the long range diversity FPV system.

I have a feeling its either the antenna setup or the FPV Monitor settings.

So on the antenna setup I have:

1x 5.8 GHz antenna connected to the drone.

FPV Monitor.
1x 5.8 GHz antenna
1x Panel Wifi antenna. 2.4ghz/ 8dBi 5800 5.8ghz/11dBi

Now this is where I am having issues.

Which antennas should I be putting where - in the drone and in the monitor?

I have in the kit:
3x 5.8 GHz antennas
1xRX cloverleaf antenna
1xTX cloverleaf antenna
1x Panel Wifi antenna. 2.4ghz/ 8dBi 5800 5.8ghz/11dBi

Which settings should I be using on the FPV? its a black pearl lcd monitor.
If anyone has tips on where to start and which settings to use that would be great!

Regards,

Matt

I would purchase a IBC Crazy 5 turn helical attena. My set up has two cloverleafs one on P2 and one on black pearl and the other one on the black pearl is the helical. In long range distances my black pearl is almost always using the helical attenna over the clover leaf, it works great. I decided on this based on a test a guy on this forum conducted proving that the helical was the best choice for long range fpv.

BUMP!!! I have the same kit and same questions. The site claims the kit can get about 4000 ft of range but I cant get more than about 500ft until the signal is completely out (starts cutting in and out at 200ft).

More importantly, what combo of antennas should I use from the kit to maximize range and is there any setting i can change on the monitor or transmitter to get more range or use its full power? Do i have to point the panel at the phantom as it flies (which way is forward then?)?

Here are the specs for the fpv kit

7" Field Monitor with integrated Diversity Rx (5.8 GHz 32 CH) Black Pearl**
Pair of Tx and Rx Cloverleaf antennas
Pair of tuned Pole Antennas (5.8 GHz Rx/Tx)
Tuned Patch Panel Antenna (5.8 GHz Rx Directional Long Range)
400 mW 5.8 GHz 32 CH Video Transmitter

Where is the aerial on the drone?..you might have better luck mounting it on the right side with the arial sticking out. did you power up the transmitter without the arial plugged in ?..that could fry the transmitter..last thing don't use autotune on the receiver, tune in manually

Hey, so i did some experimentation and managed to get much better results than I had previously been able to get. Here's how:

First, the positioning of the tx antenna on the craft is extremely important. Instead of having the antenna pointing down parallel to the landing gear, turn it 90 degrees so that it is sticking out of the back of the copter. (I'm still using the antenna DSLRpros installed when the copter arrived, but interested to see what people get with the cloverleaf Tx)

Second, the positioning of the antennas on the receiver. I just realized how extremely directional the patch antenna is. If you keep the front of the antenna pointed in the direction of the phantom and adjust as you move around, you get a very clear signal.

Overall, what I've observed is that the positioning and direction of these antennas is extremely important. Try different setups and see what works best, but i think this is more a process of learning technique rather than finding a quick fix.

Hello good sir! I too have this quad setup from dslr pros... I was wondering about channel selection, would it be worth while to get a wifi scanner to see what channel things around are operating on and do channel selection based on that? or will a certain channel just work best?

thanks.

Hello everyone. I'm extremely new to drones. Just purchased the Phantom Pro 2 Toronto edition from dslrpros, and was wondering if anyone would answer a couple of questions. I don't know if I missed anything, but there are almost no directions for setting everything up, what to use the charger for, etc. I am completely lost. Been searching for over an hour and can't find any help. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka