FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Down loaded the WIFI booster today and took the Quad out to try it out. Now I didn't really buy this for the sole purpose to get distance. I got it because I fly alot where there are trees. Thinking that it would help out the signal. Now I had no problem with getting a signal.The Quad was flying everywhere I wanted to go. The problem I had was that my screen would keep freezing up. When I downloaded the Videos to my computer it showed it also. It did not do this prior to me adding the Booster. I even change quality to 320x240 15fps.
Once my batteries charge I am going to try it again without the booster to see what happens.
Open for suggestions.
OK EDIT HERE: After downloading Video to You Tube it appeared to be OK. Not Freezing at all. Video was as smooth as it was taken. WHEW............
But still annoying that FPV was Freezing up.

Hi PVFlyer. are you running latest firmware? the reason why i am asking becuase apparently previous firmware is good for long range?

jason12 said:
Hi PVFlyer. are you running latest firmware? the reason why i am asking becuase apparently previous firmware is good for long range?
I'm unaware any compatibility issue of our booster app with the latest FW 3.06 so far. Theoretically, the autopilot system FW should not affect Wifi FPV range. As I recalled several weeks ago when 3.06 was released, some P2V/P2V+ pilots reported shorter FPV range even without using the booster app.

rrmccabe said:
So silly question.

Lets say your WIFI does stop before control. You are flying along and the video freezes but you are assuming you are still moving forward ? You are not going to get a RTH message until the bird has turned around and is coming home and gets back into Wifi range right?

I just flew again (3000+ feet) and had the booster ON with 640-30fps. The video froze with a scan line in center like an old TV with a horizontal hold issue. I changed it back to 320 and got it working again to continue on. So either my Galaxy S4 does not like the booster or the 640-30fps.

Regardless, I keep running out of of control before wifi.

I don't know how far my last mission was exactly but it was over 3000' when RTH initiated. I am downloading my core 2 data now.

Not a big deal, just doesn't seem to be doing anything of value for me. I am in it for the Channel 7 support anyway.
Once 2.4G FPV dropped, it's unlikely to see COMING HOME (RTH) message until you are regaining FPV.

There is a known issue with 640x480 30fps on some mobile devices (mostly Android), which is unrelated to the booster app. You may test 640-30fps without the booster app. Personally, I prefer to fly with 640x480 15fps.

Bobnfla said:
Down loaded the WIFI booster today and took the Quad out to try it out. Now I didn't really buy this for the sole purpose to get distance. I got it because I fly alot where there are trees. Thinking that it would help out the signal. Now I had no problem with getting a signal.The Quad was flying everywhere I wanted to go. The problem I had was that my screen would keep freezing up. When I downloaded the Videos to my computer it showed it also. It did not do this prior to me adding the Booster. I even change quality to 320x240 15fps.
Once my batteries charge I am going to try it again without the booster to see what happens.
Open for suggestions.
OK EDIT HERE: After downloading Video to You Tube it appeared to be OK. Not Freezing at all. Video was as smooth as it was taken. WHEW............
But still annoying that FPV was Freezing up.
I don't really follow what you meant. If you fly behind trees or other obstacle without LOS, then booster/antenna could not help much. I think you may test FPV before/after boosted to identify the issues.

I have to say that after 190+ post you are still active into your product. I like that. You seem to be a man that believes in his product. I'm not downing your product at all. I have issues that after downloading it my FPV would be sketchy. Like I had said I'm not into it for distance.I was just looking for a little bit of power. I'm quite sure it will do what you say. But I'm just comparing it to flying without the Booster. My Videos were not sketchy prior to your download.After your download I flew the same path and my FPV would freeze during flight. The Downloads to YouTube were fine. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. Vision you are in an Orange grove. Trees no higher than 20'. You fly up to 50' Turn on Video start recording. Fly 100' then freeze. Fly another 50' cam on Fly 50' cam off. Get my point. Like I said I'm not downing your product. I'm quite sure it will do what you say. I am just giving my experience.

Bobnfla said:
I have to say that after 190+ post you are still active into your product. I like that. You seem to be a man that believes in his product. I'm not downing your product at all. I have issues that after downloading it my FPV would be sketchy. Like I had said I'm not into it for distance.I was just looking for a little bit of power. I'm quite sure it will do what you say. But I'm just comparing it to flying without the Booster. My Videos were not sketchy prior to your download.After your download I flew the same path and my FPV would freeze during flight. The Downloads to YouTube were fine. Let me give you an example of what I am talking about. Vision you are in an Orange grove. Trees no higher than 20'. You fly up to 50' Turn on Video start recording. Fly 100' then freeze. Fly another 50' cam on Fly 50' cam off. Get my point. Like I said I'm not downing your product. I'm quite sure it will do what you say. I am just giving my experience.
I may need to work out a troubleshooting procedure in FAQ to get meaningful information. I'm sorry I just could not get required data of the actual range, such as X+50 without telling me what's X. If total range is only 50', 100' (or anything less than 1000') then it's likely something wrong with your setup/hardware. Will let you know once the procedure available.

Bobnfla said:

Bob, Not sure if you were aware but the recorded video has nothing to do with the live video you are seeing on your mobile device...totally separate and unrelated. Also, the booster software is really easy to test. If you don't activate it each time you fly (i.e., each time your turn on the phantom battery), it doesn't do anything. The code doesn't stay resident. So, just try a couple flights with it off, then try the same exact flights with it on (same place, same time of day, same flight path, etc) and note the differences. I've not heard anyone say that the Booster app reduced their range. Most everyone reports increased range, some more than others.

I already have the V+ Booster app on my galaxy s3 but i'm about to upgrade my phone to the S5, my question is how would i get the app on my new phone? Would i need to purchase the app again?
regards

UKFlyer said:
I already have the V+ Booster app on my galaxy s3 but i'm about to upgrade my phone to the S5, my question is how would i get the app on my new phone? Would i need to purchase the app again?
regards

Your purchases are linked to your google account, not to the phone.

Smb said:
UKFlyer said:
regards

Your purchases are linked to your google account, not to the phone.

Thanks. :D

Re: FPV Booster App DOUBLE FPV Range

WebMaximus said:
Ok, looking forward to the comparison chart and while waiting for that I think I'll just go ahead and buy your app since this is the thread I've been following and still reading through.
I have compiled a comparison as promised (but sorry unable to make a chart) in FAQ section of OP as below.

Q11. There are several aftermarket apps available for Vision+ with similar features. What are the key features of each app comparing to FPV Booster?
We purchased 2 other aftermarket apps and tested them as an advanced user. I have summarized the key features of FPV Booster and 2 other apps below for comparison based on facts at my best knowledge. If there is any misleading/inaccurate information, please feel free posting to this thread and correct me straightaway instead of PM me. I prefer to keep this comparison as transparent and objective as possible, and we have nothing to hide. However, we are not at proper position to address any issues of these 2 other apps.
----------------------------------------
(1) FPV Booster V2.0 (iOS) released 2014-07-20
- Boost Vision+: We are the inventor of boosting Vision+ aircraft FPV range from an app. We set TX power to 13dBm and apply a unique Interference Control Algorithm (ICA) for boosting FPV range. We tested various TX power all the way from 3dBm to 20dBm, and found 13dBm is the optimal value matching with stock RE700 range extender. It boosts 50%-100% FPV range. The unique ICA further enhances additional 50%-60% FPV range (per many users’ feedbacks) by reducing interference from both environment (home Wi-fi routers, public Wi-fi hotspots, cell phones, other RC pilots, etc.) and P2V+ aircraft’s own electronics (Wifi module, camera, motors, ESC).
- Boost range extender: N/A
- 7th channel Tilting: N/A, will be included in FPV Booster Pro once available
- Flight Logger: N/A
(2) Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster V1.3 (Android) released 2014-6-30
- Boost Vision+: Set TX power to 13dBm without ICA
- Boost range extender: Set TX power to 13dBm without ICA; It does NOT improve FPV performance per our test.
- 7th channel Tilting: N/A
- Flight Logger: N/A
(3) Vision+ Utility Pro V3.1 (Android) released 2014-8-13
- Boost Vision+: Set TX power 0dBm-27dBm without ICA; Some values are better and some values are worse than stock, higher values may not always offer better FPV performance.
- Boost range extender: Set TX power 0dBm-27dBm without ICA; It does NOT improve FPV performance per our test with any value, but some values are worse than stock.
- 7th channel Tilting: “It simulates the on screen touch press while the lever is moving” but I need to calibrate X1 every time with a PC (no Mac) after every power cycle. This makes it impractical to use in the field unless I’m willing to bring my PC/USB cable for calibration prior every flight. Per feedbacks from other forum members and our testing, the tilting is very lagging and glitches. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20924&start=120
- Flight Logger: It’s advertised as “Your flight details will be recorded to your device local VisionPlusUtility directory.” We don’t own Flytrex or Dashware to verify the accuracy of Flight Logger. Per feedbacks from other forum members and videos, speed and distance are obviously inaccurate per my observation. There are various other issues reported by forum members (such as no log file, empty log file, etc.). It seems not many users managed to get it working properly as expected, like a member mentioned “Have you not noticed that nobody has shown a video using the Dashware software, using your Utility Flight Logger App?” viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20198&start=70#p213934 and viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23530

NOTICE:
1. When we turn on 7th channel Tilting and Flight Logger, we found the FPV range is significantly shorter regardless TX power and Preview Quality. As a user, if I want to use these features, then I need to sacrifice FPV range.
2. This app has installed some programs/files (such as MySer2Net) into P2V+ aircraft. I’m unaware of any easy way to un-install these programs/files (unless SSH’ing to delete them manually) in case I need to send it back to DJI for warranty without being traced (might void the warranty) or whatever other reasons.
3. Every time when I use the app, it keeps generating /var/log/xxx.vpu.dat files (0-4kB) and occupying very limited internal storage of the aircraft. Imagine, what will happen when a PC running out/low of disk space. Firmware upgrade or basically anything might crash in low storage condition, who knows.

Thank you sir! It's very nice to get an informed opinion on these apps. There is no way I would knowingly install an app that makes permanent changes to the model!

RemE said:
Thank you sir! It's very nice to get an informed opinion on these apps. There is no way I would knowingly install an app that makes permanent changes to the model!

totally agree.

PVFlyer said:
RemE said:
Spent a whole day for testing and writing up the comparison. Should think it twice next time before making promise.

:lol: :lol:

PVFlyer said:
I think the reply from Tech Support missed a key word "tablet" as "It is not recommend to use android tablet on p2v+ app."

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Epson Moverio BT-200 goggles and I guess those would qualify as an Android "tablet".

So does this mean that might be a bad idea...?

WebMaximus said:
PVFlyer said:
I think the reply from Tech Support missed a key word "tablet" as "It is not recommend to use android tablet on p2v+ app."

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Epson Moverio BT-200 goggles and I guess those would qualify as an Android "tablet".

So does this mean that might be a bad idea...?

Personally I think so, read more here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... st29191205

That's bad news since I've been thinking about getting a pair of Epson goggles.

Find it a bit strange though why not more people are reporting serious issues like the radar not working. Watched a YouTube clip yesterday made by a guy from here where he reviewed the usage of Epson Moverio BT-200 glasses with the P2V+ and he was very happy with how they performed.

PVFlyer said:
Spent a whole day for testing and writing up the comparison. Should think it twice next time before making promise.

Sorry to hear that but hopefully it will be time well spent when new people such as myself can find this info easily.

Fact is I'm now a happy owner of the original app that is your app and now I'm just looking forward to version 2 for Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka