FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: FPV Booster App DOUBLE FPV Range

Read page 1 for most all of the details of this app. The other apps are apparently not as sophisticated as this app per the developer here.

WebMaximus said:
Without reading through all 188 pages is there a quick summary?

Also I noticed there are two apps in the Google Play store, one called Vision+ Utility Pro and another one called Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster. They both seem to use the same technique to boost the FPV range but the first app seems to have more/other features as well and I guess that's the reason why it's twice as much looking at the price tag?
I have got enquires on-and-off about the comparison between our FPV Booster and these 2 other apps. We purchased both of these 2 apps and tested them accordingly. I will compile a simple comparison based on the facts per my best knowledge and put it in FAQ section of OP for easy reference.

So how's that little bug you were working on for channel 7 coming along ?

Mori55 said:
This "little bug" is costing us to re-work the entire framework again, while we don't prefer to use some quick-and-dirty way to fix it. The re-work is going well so far, and will keep you posted whenever any major progress achieved.

PVFlyer said:
WebMaximus said:

Also I noticed there are two apps in the Google Play store, one called Vision+ Utility Pro and another one called Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster. They both seem to use the same technique to boost the FPV range but the first app seems to have more/other features as well and I guess that's the reason why it's twice as much looking at the price tag?
I have got enquires on-and-off about the comparison between our FPV Booster and these 2 other apps. We purchased both of these 2 apps and tested them accordingly. I will compile a simple comparison based on the facts per my best knowledge and put it in FAQ section of OP for easy reference.

Thanks, that would be most appreciated.

So there are actually 3 apps that will boost the FPV range, I thought one of the two apps I mentioned above was your app.

Since I would like to try this out ASAP is there any chance you could give me just a quick hint what is the main differences between the apps?

PVFlyer said:
Mori55 said:
This "little bug" is costing us to re-work the entire framework again, while we don't prefer to use some quick-and-dirty way to fix it. The re-work is going well so far, and will keep you posted whenever any major progress achieved.

What is this little bug you're talking about?

I read the FAQ about testing the app. I have purchased the app but honestly I ALWAYS run out of control range before video. Does it help with higher frame rates because right now I am not running it as its not helping me. Now if/when channel 7 comes around then it will be different :)

I just installed FPVLR Stage 2 on the TX yesterday and don't know if that changes anything.

WebMaximus said:
PVFlyer said:
WebMaximus said:

Thanks, that would be most appreciated.

So there are actually 3 apps that will boost the FPV range, I thought one of the two apps I mentioned above was your app.

Since I would like to try this out ASAP is there any chance you could give me just a quick hint what is the main differences between the apps?
Our app is called "FPV Booster" as the title of this thread. None of your mentioned 2 apps belonging to us. Anyway, I will work out a comparison shortly of these 3 apps (1) FPV Booster, (2) Phantom 2 Vision Range Booster, (3) Vision+ Utility Pro. I need some time to go through other threads in this forum for gathering more information, while I didn't follow other threads that much in the past.

Ok, looking forward to the comparison chart and while waiting for that I think I'll just go ahead and buy your app since this is the thread I've been following and still reading through.

rrmccabe said:
I read the FAQ about testing the app. I have purchased the app but honestly I ALWAYS run out of control range before video. Does it help with higher frame rates because right now I am not running it as its not helping me. Now if/when channel 7 comes around then it will be different :)

I just installed FPVLR Stage 2 on the TX yesterday and don't know if that changes anything.
Our booster app only boosts 2.4G FPV video/telemetry and has nothing to do with 5.8G control link. Is there any confusion or misunderstanding in the FAQ?

FAQ - Q6. Does it boost 5.8G control link?
NO. FPV Booster app only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video connection (FPV) while the 5.8G control link remains unchanged.

Can you further elaborate your statement "Does it help with higher frame rates because right now I am not running it as its not helping me. Now if/when channel 7 comes around then it will be different"?

PVFlyer said:
Mori55 said:
I didn't mean to be a smart ***. , I was just quoting what you said. Sorry. :(

PVFlyer said:
My dev. buddy has been struggling and troubleshooting a tiny (very tiny) bug of CH-7 coding in the past few days. Debugging is a tedious job but time consuming, especially we both know it's just a tiny bug but get stuck for the time being. Anyhow, I'm confidence to get it fixed in the next few days, and will keep you posted.
This is what I was referring to.

PVFlyer said:
rrmccabe said:

Our booster app only boosts 2.4G FPV video/telemetry and has nothing to do with 5.8G control link. Is there any confusion or misunderstanding in the FAQ?

FAQ - Q6. Does it boost 5.8G control link?
NO. FPV Booster app only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video connection (FPV) while the 5.8G control link remains unchanged.

Can you further elaborate your statement "Does it help with higher frame rates because right now I am not running it as its not helping me. Now if/when channel 7 comes around then it will be different"?

Yes, I understand that. But what I am asking is how do you test it or where is the benefit. If I fly WITHOUT it boosted and it does a RTH every time without losing video, what good is it to boost?

I was just wondering if the high frame rates of FPV have to push more data back via the 2.4g WIFI and the gains would show up there?

I am just trying to figure out why I need this until the channel 7 support is added. Everyone I have talked to says they run out of control before they run out of video.

rrmccabe said:
Yes, I understand that. But what I am asking is how do you test it or where is the benefit. If I fly WITHOUT it boosted and it does a RTH every time without losing video, what good is it to boost?

I was just wondering if the high frame rates of FPV have to push more data back via the 2.4g WIFI and the gains would show up there?

I am just trying to figure out why I need this until the channel 7 support is added. Everyone I have talked to says they run out of control before they run out of video.
Can you be more specific what is your 5.8G control range (meter / ft.) to trigger RTH? What Preview Quality are you using?

According to DJI spec http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec, FCC mode 5.8G control range should out-fly 2.4G FPV.

Remote Control - Communication Distance (open area): CE Compliance: 400m; FCC Compliance: 800m
Range Extender - Communication Distance (open area): 500-700m

rrmccabe said:
Everyone I have talked to says they run out of control before they run out of video.

I always heard the stock WiFi range is normally shorter than the control link and that certainly has been true for me. So far I never lost the RC signal but I've lost the WiFi signal several times even when not flying in WiFi congested places.

You know most my flying is done from home. I live in a small valley surrounded by trees. My best distance horizontally (for the most part) as 1700'. The FPVLR Stage two bumped that same mission to 2750.

But as I said I always have video and data (elevation, speed, distance, etc) when I see the coming home. Well 95% of the time anyway.

I am running 320x240 at 30fps.

DJI says that the transmitter is 800 meters but I have had two P2V+ now and have 3 friends with them and the control is running out before the video and no where near the 800 meters.

In our cases it seems that DJIs spec might be right on the 2.4 wifi but the 5.8 is far less than they spec. I have tried moving around, tipping antenna slightly and still run out of control before video.

So really it comes down the the fact if you are losing your control before video there is no reason to boost.

rrmccabe said:
You know most my flying is done from home. I live in a small valley surrounded by trees. My best distance horizontally (for the most part) as 1700'. The FPVLR Stage two bumped that same mission to 2750.

But as I said I always have video and data (elevation, speed, distance, etc) when I see the coming home. Well 95% of the time anyway.

I am running 320x240 at 30fps.

DJI says that the transmitter is 800 meters but I have had two P2V+ now and have 3 friends with them and the control is running out before the video and no where near the 800 meters.

In our cases it seems that DJIs spec might be right on the 2.4 wifi but the 5.8 is far less than they spec. I have tried moving around, tipping antenna slightly and still run out of control before video.

So really it comes down the the fact if you are losing your control before video there is no reason to boost.
For 5.8G control range, you may need to pay a bit more attention on (1) antenna orientation (2) maintain LOS (3) transmitter 4xAA battery.

If you want to shorten 2.4G FPV range (better Preview Quality) to test the boost app, you may set 640x480 30fps. It might shorten the range by 50% or more.

PVFlyer said:
If you want to shorten 2.4G FPV range (better Preview Quality) to test the boost app, you may set 640x480 30fps. It might shorten the range by 50% or more.
Ok, that was one of the questions. So it may help in the higher quality settings.

Thanks

WebMaximus said:
rrmccabe said:
Everyone I have talked to says they run out of control before they run out of video.

I always heard the stock WiFi range is normally shorter than the control link and that certainly has been true for me. So far I never lost the RC signal but I've lost the WiFi signal several times even when not flying in WiFi congested places.
This is my experience as well.

So silly question.

Lets say your WIFI does stop before control. You are flying along and the video freezes but you are assuming you are still moving forward ? You are not going to get a RTH message until the bird has turned around and is coming home and gets back into Wifi range right?

I just flew again (3000+ feet) and had the booster ON with 640-30fps. The video froze with a scan line in center like an old TV with a horizontal hold issue. I changed it back to 320 and got it working again to continue on. So either my Galaxy S4 does not like the booster or the 640-30fps.

Regardless, I keep running out of of control before wifi.

I don't know how far my last mission was exactly but it was over 3000' when RTH initiated. I am downloading my core 2 data now.

Not a big deal, just doesn't seem to be doing anything of value for me. I am in it for the Channel 7 support anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel