FPV Booster App DOUBLE Vision+ FPV Range

Re: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster DOUBLE FPV Range

Hey Danny, I have the Vision APK but how do I get the Booster APK? I purchased the iOS version and am happy to buy the Android version but don't know how to get in onto the Moverio's??

Will plugging the Moverio's into a PC allow it to be seen in Google Play as a valid device? I don't own any other Android devices.

RemE, I cant't help you there, but since you have the iOS version, I do know that you can boost the vision via the iOS app, disconnect and re-connect with the Android Vision app. Works fine as an interim solution. One the Vision+ is boosted it stays boosted until the battery is off no matter what boosted it.

RemE said:
Hey Danny, I have the Vision APK but how do I get the Booster APK? I purchased the iOS version and am happy to buy the Android version but don't know how to get in onto the Moverio's??

Will plugging the Moverio's into a PC allow it to be seen in Google Play as a valid device? I don't own any other Android devices.
You can keep BOTH Moverio and iDevice connecting to Phantom network at the same time, instead of toggling on/off each device. Simply run the booster app as usual on iDevice, then fly with Moverio.

I put the beta version of the app on my moverio's. I bought the official android app but I don't know where it went to!

PVFlyer said:
RemE said:

You can keep BOTH Moverio and iDevice connecting to Phantom network at the same time, instead of toggling on/off each device. Simply run the booster app as usual on iDevice, then fly with Moverio.

I appreciate that thought, but would prefer to buy the Android app and not have the iDevice connected at all. If the iDevice is connected it will then no longer have internet access as it will "prefer" the Phantom WiFi network and not use its cellular connection.

So is this possible?

RemE said:
PVFlyer said:
RemE said:

I appreciate that thought, but would prefer to buy the Android app and not have the iDevice connected at all. If the iDevice is connected it will then no longer have internet access as it will "prefer" the Phantom WiFi network and not use its cellular connection.

So is this possible?

nah, what he is saying is boost with the iphone, then you can shut the iphone down and connect with the goggles. the only thing the booster app does is secure shell into the phantom and adjusts the 2.4 transmit power level. no need to keep the iphone connected after you boost.

RemE said:

I think you will have to find a friend with an Android device and have them download the app. Once it's on their device you need to use a program like APK Extractor (I believe free on the Play Store) to extract the APK. Once it's extracted you can copy it from that device to the Moverio, or copy to a PC and from there copy to the Moverio. I don't think you can get Google Play on it, so I wouldn't waste your time with that now. I would imagine someone eventually will figure out why it doesn't run, but not just yet. Give the hackers a few weeks!

Trying to learn something here since I am not very well versed in wifi or or radio used in RC. I see people boosting the wifi extender with 2W amps and different kinds of antennas and doing nothing on the quad. Others are using this app and are getting pretty good gains just boosting the output of the 2.4ghz from theP2V+. Still others add external antennas to the quad.
My question is: What do each of the 2.4ghz transmitters do ? ( the wifi extender and the one in the quad) If the FPV video is from the 2.4ghz signal sent by the quad, how does boosting the 2.4ghz signal from the extender help ? If someone is boosting the extender power with amps, will running the booster app on the quad help much more ? Just curious.

HarleyRed said:
Trying to learn something here since I am not very well versed in wifi or or radio used in RC. I see people boosting the wifi extender with 2W amps and different kinds of antennas and doing nothing on the quad. Others are using this app and are getting pretty good gains just boosting the output of the 2.4ghz from theP2V+. Still others add external antennas to the quad.
My question is: What do each of the 2.4ghz transmitters do ? ( the wifi extender and the one in the quad) If the FPV video is from the 2.4ghz signal sent by the quad, how does boosting the 2.4ghz signal from the extender help ? If someone is boosting the extender power with amps, will running the booster app on the quad help much more ? Just curious.

Most were getting better video range (the WiFi connection) by putting better "ears" on the extender so it can transmit better AND receive better.

This app powers up the Model side of the WiFi which allows the stock extender to get a better signal. You could increase the range further by giving it better antennas. You could also put better antennas on the model as well. But currently this boster app gives great performance with No other WiFi mods needed.

The control side (5.8Ghz) is similar, most just add a better (directional) antenna to the TX. You can go further by adding an amplifier to the Tx. Some have changed antennas on the model as well.

Lots of choices!

Set a distance record today. Hit boost after I lost FPV at 550, then continued on to about 800m (640x480 15fps). Big inner city park. Nice job on this App, I will leave comment in AppStore!

Just wondering why there is such a variation in maximum range given the hardware is all standard. For example, LMC below claims max range for a boosted, but otherwise unmodified Vision Plus at 64 15fps is over 2500m!

Best I've gotten is 800m at 100m elevation, boosted (big inner city park, big trees and hills.

I assume this kind of range is only possible with high flight altitude, flat terrain, low solar activity, no WiFi activity, etc etc? Can someone please list the factors that make this kind of max range possible?

PVFlyer said:
A friend of mine (software developer) helped me to custom build an Android app for boosting my Vision+ Wifi signal strength. Holy cow! It ended up DOUBLE the FPV range by a single click even when my Vision+ was still in the air. It does not need to power cycle/reboot the Vision+, and boost the Wifi signal strength immediately. In general, I would prefer to boost the Wifi well before take off, while boosting in the air was to demonstrate no power cycle required.

My FPV range test setup below:
- Stock Vision+ aircraft
- Stock RE700 range extender
- 5.8G Transmitter (came with P2V not Vision+) with 11dBi patch panel
- Rooted Nexus 7 (2012 model) running Android 4.4 Vision app 1.0.40 with Preview Quality 320x240 15fps

The video was a bit glitch probably due to the app 1.0.40, as some other pilots reported in this forum. I may need to rollback to 1.0.39 until DJI fixed the issues.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdhKFMqSBI[/youtube]

I would like to summarize the FPV range test results from our iOS beta testers below. All beta tests were conducted with stock (un-modded) Vision+ aircraft and RE700 repeater.

1. tizzl10: 5,642ft / 1,720m – 640@30fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
1. tizzl10 (video below): 7,037ft / 2,145m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
2. LMC: 6,058ft / 1,847m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
3. mem_ny: 3,620ft / 1,104m – 320@30fps (in high Wifi residential area)
4. Alib: 5,061ft / 1,543m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGOfdoIKUKg[/youtube]

If you have achieved better range, please keep me posted. I will keep updating the above list upon received further test results as a summary for easy reading.

The iOS version of Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster is generally available in App Store on 16-May-2014, and beta testing stage is ended accordingly.

Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster (V+ Booster) FAQ:

Q1. How it works?
- Turn on both Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and range extender, and connect your iOS/Android device to Wi-Fi network as usual.
- Open V+ Booster app, tap “Boost up!” button. The app connects to Vision+ aircraft through the Wi-Fi network, then it boosts up Wi-Fi power and applies tweaks to the aircraft. It will display a message "Your Vision+ is boosted up".
- Open DJI VISION app, and Happy Flying.
Note: Every time when you power cycle Vision+ aircraft or range extender, you need to run V+ Booster app to take effect.

Q2. Does it compatible with original Phantom 2 Vision?
NO. V+ Booster is ONLY compatible with DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus). Running the app on other incompatible platforms (including original Phantom 2 Vision) may encounter unexpected results.

Q3. How can I find it in App Store or Google Play?
For iOS, V+ Booster app is classified as "iPhone Only". You may search "fpv booster" in App Store, or click the link on your iDevice http://itunes.apple.com/app/vision+-wi- ... ?ls=1&mt=8
For Android, you may search "fpv booster" in Google Play store, or click on your Android device http://play.google.com/store/apps/detai ... fi_booster

Q4. How to test it working?
Fly your Vision+ WITHOUT turning on the booster (as a reference) to your favorite flight path until Wi-Fi video dropped. Fly back your Vision+ and run the V+ Booster app, then fly again the same flight path with the same Preview Quality for apple-to-apple comparison. It may fly out of your 5.8G control range and trigger RTH.

Q5. Does it boost 5.8G control link?
NO. V+ Booster app only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video connection (FPV) while the 5.8G control link remains the same.

Q6. Does it consume more battery power to shorten flight time or generate extra heat to damage the circuit?
It consumes VERY little extra power and generates NO extra heat per our testing. It's estimated shortening less than 10 seconds of flight time out of 25 minutes.

Q7. Does it work with other antenna mods?
YES. V+ Booster app works well alone, as well as any antenna mods on Vision+ aircraft and/or range extender.

Q8. Is there a plan to develop a version for original Phantom 2 Vision?
YES. Once we finish V+ Booster app for both iOS and Android, we will do research on the original P2V.

I would like to summarize the FPV range test results from our Android beta testers below. All beta tests were conducted with stock (un-modded) Vision+ aircraft and RE700 repeater.

1. MattUNI2001: 3,518ft / 1,072m – 640@15fps (Wifi congested area, FPV connection broken, 53% range improvement)
2. Hovtech: 2,600ft / 793m – 640@15fps (100+% range improvement)
3. Vortex66: 2,722ft / 830m – 640@15fps (Wifi congested area, 51% range improvement)
4. tizzl10: 5,364ft / 1,635 – 320@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
5. neoneo: 6,245ft / 1,904m – 320@15fps (80% range improvement)
6. Orbbs: 3,608ft / 1,100m – 640@15fps (urban area, 47% range improvement)
7. LMC: 8,424ft / 2,568m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
8. kescot: 6,144ft / 1,873m – 640@15fps (FPV connection broken)
9. sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m – 640@15fps (5.8G control signal dropped & triggered RTH)
10. nhoover: 7,419ft / 2,262m – 320@15fps (FPV connection broken, 54% range improvement)

V+ Booster Longest FPV Range Contest (640x480 15fps)
- tizzl10: 10,840ft / 3,305 (iOS)
- LMC: 8,424ft / 2,568m (Android)
- sigwameister: 6,534ft / 1,992m (Android)
- kescot: 6,144ft / 1873m (Android)
- M.Tigelaar: 5,300 / 1,616m (iOS)
- Alib: 5,061ft / 1,543m (iOS)
- Orbbs: 3,608ft / 1,100m (Android, proof required)
- MattUNI2001: 3,518ft / 1,072m (Android)
- neoneo : 3,200ft / 976m (Android, proof required)
- Vortex66: 2,722ft / 830m (Android, proof required)
- Hovtech: 2,600ft / 793m (Android, proof required)

wharfbanger said:
Just wondering why there is such a variation in maximum range given the hardware is all standard. For example, LMC below claims max range for a boosted, but otherwise unmodified Vision Plus at 64 15fps is over 2500m!

Best I've gotten is 800m at 100m elevation, boosted (big inner city park, big trees and hills.

I assume this kind of range is only possible with high flight altitude, flat terrain, low solar activity, no WiFi activity, etc etc? Can someone please list the factors that make this kind of max range possible?
That's why I always say "Your FPV range may vary". It depends on multiple factors, such as RF interference, weather, environment, LOS, etc.

You may even forget about the booster app, and perform 4 tests with your exact same P2V+. Try to fly 4 directions (East, South, West & North) in the big inner city park, and let me know the range of each direction.

Thanks for posting a review.

got a new PB today.

but honestly don't think i want/can go any further.
control link was flicking between being in and out of range, and any slight movement of me, my controller, or heli yaw would change it.
then as soon as it started RTH, as it spun towards me, i lost FPV link.. thats a scary moment. no sight, no FPV, and no idea if you have control or not. Was just pulling back in home lock because i didnt know if it was returning to home or not.

Think thats my last long ranger ahha :p

but. 1859m recorded. i was over 1900 but didnt screen shot quick enough :p

2uete6x.png

this is totally stock antenna wise!!

Alib said:
got a new PB today.

control link was flicking between being in and out of range, and any slight movement of me, my controller, or heli yaw would change it.
then as soon as it started RTH, as it spun towards me, i lost FPV link.. thats a scary moment. no sight, no FPV, and no idea if you have control or not. Was just pulling back in home lock because i didnt know if it was returning to home or not.

2uete6x.png
That's a great flight with stock 5.8G antenna. I have updated your record in the contest, and you are currently ranking #5.

One thing to be ALERTED for using home lock at such distance, the home lock command may not be reaching the aircraft. If you lost FPV and don't know the aircraft orientation, then pulling back the right stick may cause your bird flying to other direction instead of coming home. I had experienced this multiple times back to 2013 when flying P2V. Thus, I never use IOC unless I have the FPV video. Otherwise, I prefer using RTH.

PVFlyer said:
Alib said:
got a new PB today.

2uete6x.png
That's a great flight with stock 5.8G antenna. I have updated your record in the contest, and you are currently ranking #5.

One thing to be ALERTED for using home lock at such distance, the home lock command may not be reaching the aircraft. If you lost FPV and don't know the aircraft orientation, then pulling back the right stick may cause your bird flying to other direction instead of coming home. I had experienced this multiple times back to 2013 when flying P2V. Thus, I never use IOC unless I have the FPV video. Otherwise, I prefer using RTH.

+2 on this, if the signal drops briefly, Home Lock and Course Lock will cancel. Use RTH when far away, until you can either see the model or have video confirmation that you are in fact returning home!

I've got the V+ booster on SD card -- use SEV to install -- goes through the motions then says "X" App not installed???

Help -- anyone know for Moviero BT-200?

mra1228 said:
I've got the V+ booster on SD card -- use SEV to install -- goes through the motions then says "X" App not installed???

Help -- anyone know for Moviero BT-200?

That is all it does right now, the developers are looking into getting the app available to the Moverio's.

+2 on this, if the signal drops briefly, Home Lock and Course Lock will cancel. Use RTH when far away, until you can either see the model or have video confirmation that you are in fact returning home!

It's a good idea, too, to double-check that "home" has been set correctly before the 'copter is very far away. A simple test is to switch to Home Lock after flying about 100 feet away. Make sure that, in Home Lock, the aircraft moves the way you expect, i.e. towards you when you pull pack on the stick. It's something I try to remember to do at the start of each flight, though, so far, I haven't had a case where Home was wrong.

-- Roger

PVFlyer said:
...One thing to be ALERTED for using home lock at such distance, the home lock command may not be reaching the aircraft. If you lost FPV and don't know the aircraft orientation, then pulling back the right stick may cause your bird flying to other direction instead of coming home. I had experienced this multiple times back to 2013 when flying P2V. Thus, I never use IOC unless I have the FPV video. Otherwise, I prefer using RTH.
Good to know :eek: Thanks.
Never faced such situation. When in RTH, I usually wait to get the bird back to sight and I switch it back to ATTI then GPS control.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z