Forgetting to free up camera before taking off......

...for the checklist: I would also place "turning the quad on" AFTER the controller AND flight control app are up and running - I was taught to NEVER give the bird the chance to take off on its own without the controller and app being on and ready FIRST to take control (in case things go south quickly for no particular reason...)

Reactions: deltamike
It's so easy to forget. It seems, if the battery is running, we don't like to take the time to do a thorough check list before launch. My favorite is when I have the greatest flight and after ethusastically checking my video production, I find I forgot to start my camera. Having a 30 minute battery on the P4P helps me to avoid the rush to ignore a check list.

I would also place "turning the quad on" AFTER the controller AND flight control app are up and running
This is good advice. Technically, you don't need the app to use the controller to fly the bird -- so at minimum
  • Power-up sequence: Controller, then bird.
  • Power-down sequence: Bird, then controller.
HOWEVER (and this is my admission that I sometimes forget to take the gimbal guard off) the GO app will always tell you when the gimbal is obstructed. Sometimes it's not the guard if you placed the bird in something like tall grass.

So if you're following the checklists in this thread, at least a couple of points require that you look at the GO app (checking for interference, compass errors, battery voltage, NFZ warnings, etc.). If you're doing this, you should always see the 'gimbal overload' error before taking off.

Note: when I see this, the first thing I do is power down the bird (leaving the controller on) before taking the gimbal guard off, followed by powering the bird back up.

Speck

...for the checklist: I would also place "turning the quad on" AFTER the controller AND flight control app are up and running - I was taught to NEVER give the bird the chance to take off on its own without the controller and app being on and ready FIRST to take control (in case things go south quickly for no particular reason...)

Oooops. Thanks. Corrected.

I chucked the little foam block it's only really needed during transportation from the manufacturer, the plastic camera cover I painted fluoro orange.

I have taken off a number of time where I forgot to remove the device securing the camera for transportation. I usually didn't realize it until I tried to use the camera. Can this ultimately damage the camera???? So far I haven't noticed anything.
I secure the camera all the time. I forgot once and then I connected a foot long ribbon onto the holder. it's hard to not see the red ribbon.

Here is one I made for my P3. Feel free to edit them or use the blank one to create your own. Can be printed out onto a sticky label. Also has labels for controller sticks, props, and batteries:
b942374185c57867bdbc497eec780df2.jpg

Download = P3P_labels. png

Here are the ones I made for a P4 if anyone wants to use them. Feel free to edit them or use the blank one to create your own (can be printed out onto sticky labels as well):
Download = camera_lables_P4.png

Attachments

• camera_lables_P4.png
    camera_lables_P4.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 303
  • P3P_Lables .png
    P3P_Lables .png
    34.2 KB · Views: 248
Not to get off subject, but yesterday at take off a prop spun off(even after double checking) and fell over pretty violently causing the gimbal to come apart, stuck the shaft of camera part back into motor housing and have flown 4 batteries since, didn't even calibrate it, happen to anyone?

Happened to me at take off with standard P4 prop mounts. Luckily it just flipped upside down and motors shut down immmediatly. Checked and didn't notice blade was not correctly mounted. Was certainly half inserted or so. Consider replacing with new props mounts from P4P.

I think most of us have forgotten to take it off at least once. I have never heard of a failing gimbal due to an overload. So I think it's well protected against it.
I have a combination lens cap and lock/hold device. When I start the copter, I get a message on my iPad that tell me the camera is not moving freely, so I haven't taken off. It reminds me to remove it before I even try.

It's so easy to forget. It seems, if the battery is running, we don't like to take the time to do a thorough check list before launch. My favorite is when I have the greatest flight and after ethusastically checking my video production, I find I forgot to start my camera. Having a 30 minute battery on the P4P helps me to avoid the rush to ignore a check list.
MY favorite is when I get up to where I want to be, have the image framed perfectly, hit the button, and it tells me there's no SD card; and I realize it's at home by the computer. Happened twice.

MY favorite is when I get up to where I want to be, have the image framed perfectly, hit the button, and it tells me there's no SD card; and I realize it's at home by the computer. Happened twice.

Post # 17 [emoji1]

Well micro sdcard are so tiny.. We would not have missed to carry on Ampex VTR-3000 (first portable VTR or so - 1967)

9ae61321f373292b727a488fc0f4ce51.jpg

Last edited:
Below is my complete check list that is attached to the controller. I hope you find it useful. It has got me out of trouble in times past.

P3A PRE FLIGHT CHECK LIST

1. Fit leg extenders
2. Remove gimbal lock
3. Clean camera lens
4. Inspect propellers
5. Install propellers and tighten.
6. Gimbal not obstructed
7. Tablet to R/C cable attached
8. Tx top left switch to P-Mode (To the right)
9. Tablet ON
10. TX ON
11. A/c ON
12. Open GO App
13. Tap large GPS box on Go App for aircraft status.
14. Enable ‘Multiple flight mode’.
Tap Tx – Tap quad symbol - enable ‘Multiple flight mode’
15. CHECK BATTERY STATUS (Cells)
16. Check satellite status
17. CHECK A/C GREEN LIGHTS FLASHING

Check status if not.
18. CHECK HOME POINT RECORDED
19. Takeoff & Hover 30 seconds & check stability
21. Fly to 5m away and move mode switch from P to F
22. Tap controller symbol on tablet & select HOME LOCK
23. When stable flight enter camera me
24. Tap WHITE BALANCE and set sunny / dull

R/C EXP & Gain (0,5 - 0,4 - 0,5)
IMU values (0, 1, 1400 -1600)
TAP QUAD SYMBOL – SENSOR

I made a very complete checklist but keep leaving it behind along with the "Remove Before Flight". I guess I will have to make another checklist for the things I need to take with me when I go flying but I would probably forget it.

I made a very complete checklist but keep leaving it behind along with the "Remove Before Flight". I guess I will have to make another checklist for the things I need to take with me when I go flying but I would probably forget it.

We have all been there too. Don't forget to add the wife and / or kids if need be.:):rolleyes:

Reactions: RémyHeli
This thread inspired me. I remembered I had a little item from a jacket, so I put it on my lens cap. Haven't flown since I did it, so we'll see if it helps.

Attachments

• Remove_B4_Flight.jpg
    Remove_B4_Flight.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 255
I always start recording before I take off. Then when I go to edit it just cut out the good parts. Easier that having to press the record button 50 times. And for pictures I just take a snapshot in windows movie maker or what ever editor I decide to use.
You need reminders on your controller or preflight list that says
"Record video before take off"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart