Fog flying?

Reaction score
I know during foggy weather, the humidity is high and moisture in the air is high. Anyone here fly in the fog and their drone still functioning fine?

Tomorrow there is going to be a nice afternoon fog and I wanna take some aerial photos and videos, but am afraid it might do some damage to the opened circuit in the drone. Safe, not safe, or safe for a certain amount of minutes?

Not worth the risk. I flew in fog for a few minutes and my P3P looked like it took a shower when I landed. Everything was soaking wet including the lens making the footage unusable...

Reactions: jimerb
I know during foggy weather, the humidity is high and moisture in the air is high. Anyone here fly in the fog and their drone still functioning fine?

Tomorrow there is going to be a nice afternoon fog and I wanna take some aerial photos and videos, but am afraid it might do some damage to the opened circuit in the drone. Safe, not safe, or safe for a certain amount of minutes?

I just turned on the fog lights on mine and made sure I could see my landing spot. Everything's fine!

I've flown a couple of times in light fog and it isn't great. When the lens gets water on the outside the footage isn't usable at all. I recommend avoiding it as some of that water may be condensing on the internal components and that just can't be good.

Reactions: Mario_SB
I've flown a couple of times in light fog and it isn't great. When the lens gets water on the outside the footage isn't usable at all. I recommend avoiding it as some of that water may be condensing on the internal components and that just can't be good.

Agreed. A bit unrelated but also when flying when theres lots of dust and sand in the air isn't good. That sands get into the tiny gimble motors and that's what your camera, gimble setup starts skipping and stepping. No bueno... : /

You will also notice loss of signals pretty faster and thus range will be affected.

Reactions: Mario_SB
As I remember, the manual says humidity should be no higher than 80%

Edit: See post #14

Last edited:
As I remember, the manual says humidity should be no higher than 80%
Well, if that's the case, I may as well pack it in. The humidity is never below 80% where I live. That said, I like to fly ABOVE the fog - that's neat, but flying through it doesn't get you very far. You can't see, the lens fogs up and if you are at all in icing conditions, you're going to be one hurting unit in a hurry.

If you can't see through it, don't do it.

Correction: My manual says not to charge or discharge your battery in an environment where the humidity is 80%+. It says nothing about flying. My bad.

Illegal (in the US), unsafe, and dumb. Surprised people haven't mentioned that. Although 4K footage hovering in the clear air above fog can make for a great shot.

Reactions: Volantis
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1450244536.159215.jpg

Foggy and just below zero. Flew for about a minute.. Noticed the quad was vibrating. Brought it back in to discover the props were already coated in ice and there was condensation all over the rest of it.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1450262927.385701.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl