Flytrex Live 3G Released - Review

So my horror with the USPS continues. I just got an update tonight that my package is STILL in Flushing , NY. Really?

Should I need another one, I'll ask for UPS or some alternate service. No wonder the USPS can't make any money!

Idea... what about mounting a second one of these mounts http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Holder-Phanto ... ion+holder to hold a second phone/tablet to show the flytrex live google maps info.

In my case I have FPV monitor, I may see if I can mount this on the side or between monitor and controller. It would be awesome to have the FPV monitor with all the telemetry info and a cellphone right there mounted with the flytrex data.

This may have been answered already and I missed it but why does the IOS app require me to login with Facebook login with no option to login with my Flytrex account login? I don't have a Facebook account nor will I be getting one. What's the work around?

flyNfrank said:
amitregev said:
Hi Frank :)

Regarding vertical speed -- the information is logged by Flytrex buy we still need to add it to our user interface on the site. We hope to have more updates on this shortly as well, this is included in our upcoming updates plan.

Regarding wire shielding - although I'm not part of our hardware team (software guy - sorry :) ), as far as I know, shielding a wire without grounding the shield is practically useless. Proper shielding requires the shielding itself to be connected to the ground, otherwise it doesn't really do much. That's also why coax wires have the ground as a shield on the wire.

The Flytrex wire shouldn't cause any trouble really, but I suspect that some users are seeing such affect due to the way the wire is placed. Specifically, having the wire going closer to the ESC or engines might add more "noise" since these parts add a lot of noise to the circuit. Keeping the wire in the central section should really cause no affect at all.

I hope this helps. :) Keep me posted how things are going. Thanks!

Vertical Speed MPH - Of coarse I'm not familiar with your Interface setup, but I had gathered it was a rather simple, an quick process. The image I used which shows the text "Vertical Speed MPH" was taken from a Flytrex .csv file.

GPS Wire Harness Shield - I believe what DJI is trying to accomplish is to eliminate all possible cross contamination. Whether it's contamination coming out, or going into the wire. This GPS issue, and a few others, has become a sensitive subject for many. Anyway I wanted to bring it to your attention since the factory is now doing it, and benefits have been found by routing the wires different.

Hi flyNfrank :)

Regarding the GPS Wire Harness - to be honest, I don't believe that shielding the wire without grounding it makes much difference - but since I'm not part of our hardware team I might not be the best person to comment on this (handling mostly product and software side). I can check this more closely.

With that said, we will introduce some solution here in the next couple of days. Please stay tuned for updates! :)

Couchie said:
Just have to throw in that this wait is killing me! Ordered the flytrex 3G on Christmas. It shipped on the 15th and was finally tracked in Flushing, NY on the 25th. Still waiting.... Gotta love the high speed USPS!

Hi Couchie :)

We've seen shipments going much faster in the past :/ I'm guessing this might be related to the weather in the region the past week.. Really hope it arrives at the start of this new week! :)

p fandango said:
must say, i was very disappointed with the amount of time it took to receive my Flytrex Live (especially when the first email you receive after paying says it will be shipped within 48hrs). But having finally got it, & opened up my phantom tonight to fit it which was stupidly easy with the canbus lead. I've only done a quick test but really does look to be accurate & another quality product

Hi P fandango :)

I'm really sorry for any delay you experienced with the shipping! To be honest, we didn't expect the increase in orders during the recent holiday season and following the new CAN-BUS Adapter release. As a result, we had a relatively large queue of pending orders that we're finally catching up with these days. New orders are now getting shipped within 4-5 days, which is almost back to our usual time lines.

I hope you love Flytrex -- Stay tuned for new updates to our mobile apps (iOS and Android) that will be announced in the next couple of day! :cool:

mendezl said:
flyNfrank said:
p fandango said:
must say, i was very disappointed with the amount of time it took to receive my Flytrex Live (especially when the first email you receive after paying says it will be shipped within 48hrs). But having finally got it, & opened up my phantom tonight to fit it which was stupidly easy with the canbus lead. I've only done a quick test but really does look to be accurate & another quality product

At 1st I thought you did something you should not have with using a CanBus Lead. But then I read your signature and saw you were not trying to use it on a vPlus. It would be nice if the vPlus was able use a CanBus Lead!

Can bus cable is available http://www.flytrex.com/blog/flytrex-can-bus-adapter/

Note that the CAN-BUS Adapter is currently designed for use with A2, WooKong-M, Naza 2 and Phantom 2. It isn't compatible with the Vision and Vision+, for now..

Flavor911 said:
This may have been answered already and I missed it but why does the IOS app require me to login with Facebook login with no option to login with my Flytrex account login? I don't have a Facebook account nor will I be getting one. What's the work around?

Hi Flavor911 :)

I'll answer with a screen capture taken from my dev iPhone a few minutes ago...

We're trying to close the new Flytrex iOS update today/tomorrow and hopefully it will get approved by Apple shortly after. Considering that this is almost ready, my suggestion at this stage is to wait a few more days for updates and then roll with the new update. :)

Attachments

• flytrex-ios-new-update.png
    flytrex-ios-new-update.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 378
amitregev said:
Hi P fandango :)

I'm really sorry for any delay you experienced with the shipping! To be honest, we didn't expect the increase in orders during the recent holiday season and following the new CAN-BUS Adapter release. As a result, we had a relatively large queue of pending orders that we're finally catching up with these days. New orders are now getting shipped within 4-5 days, which is almost back to our usual time lines.

I hope you love Flytrex -- Stay tuned for new updates to our mobile apps (iOS and Android) that will be announced in the next couple of day! :cool:
oh indeed i'm very impressed with the results from just using it inside so far, can't wait to get out & have a proper flight trying it. I like updates & always found your online support very helpful

quick question while i'm here, can i use a data-only package on the Flytrex live's sim. Or does it need a bit of call/text time to start the connection etc

many thanks

p fandango said:
quick question while i'm here, can i use a data-only package on the Flytrex live's sim. Or does it need a bit of call/text time to start the connection etc

many thanks

Yes, data plan only will do great. Furthermore, most chances that you can use one of the smallest plans available since Flytrex Live is designed to consume very little data. For the vast majority of our pilots using a 100mb plan should be enough for ~3 months of flying or so, unless if your flying professionally and daily.

You can read more about Flytrex Live recommended data plan and sizes here: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live-3g/faq/#15

Are you located in the US?

For the Android users, there is a new update today on the Play Store. Fixes a few issues but most important, to me anyway, is the "Last Seen" is now available. Thank you Flytrex for the quick support answer and the update.

amitregev said:
Yes, data plan only will do great. Furthermore, most chances that you can use one of the smallest plans available since Flytrex Live is designed to consume very little data. For the vast majority of our pilots using a 100mb plan should be enough for ~3 months of flying or so, unless if your flying professionally and daily.

You can read more about Flytrex Live recommended data plan and sizes here: http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live-3g/faq/#15

Are you located in the US?
i did a 15minute flight today & was expecting it too of chewed through the data, but it had only used 0.5mb

i'm in the UK, i'm using Giff Gaff & just swopped to 500mb per month data only packaged so should have more than enough :)

amitregev said:
Flavor911 said:

Hi Flavor911 :)

I'll answer with a screen capture taken from my dev iPhone a few minutes ago...

We're trying to close the new Flytrex iOS update today/tomorrow and hopefully it will get approved by Apple shortly after. Considering that this is almost ready, my suggestion at this stage is to wait a few more days for updates and then roll with the new update. :)

Nice! Can't wait to see the new app! Thx

How frequently does the Flytrex Live 3G send location data to the server via GSM service?
If I corkscrew my Phantom into the ground and the battery pops out the Flytrex will lose power. I will then only be able to rely on the last known location feature of the Flytrex system. The accuracy of that last known location will depend on how long before I crashed the last location was beamed to the Flytrex servers.

Brent10 said:
How frequently does the Flytrex Live 3G send location data to the server via GSM service?
If I corkscrew my Phantom into the ground and the battery pops out the Flytrex will lose power. I will then only be able to rely on the last known location feature of the Flytrex system. The accuracy of that last known location will depend on how long before I crashed the last location was beamed to the Flytrex servers.
i had my bro watching me remotely while i flew today, he says he was updating a couple of times every second & was quite a fluid motion. I was expecting it to be quite jumpy but not by the sound of it

Brent10 said:

The Live 3G transmits data packets between 2 to 4 times per second. This means that in the event of a crash and complete power loss Flytrex will still be able to point you to the last known location with 0.5 second accuracy (or better). You can then easily locate your last known location by visiting your Flytrex Live personal profile, or using one of our mobile apps (iOS and Android - available for free download).

Since the Live 3G transmits full telemetry data (and not only location details), in the event of a crash Flytrex will give you a full overview of your last-known aircraft status - and not only location data. This includes altitude from ground (whether you should be searching the tree tops..), last-known speed (in the event of a high-speed crash) and so on.

Since Flytrex stores your flight data to your personal Flytrex account, this means that even if you crash in to water, the system will still be able to pin-point you to the location you hit the water - which can make a huge difference recovering any components that might have survived (GoPro..).

amitregev said:
The Live 3G transmits data packets between 2 to 4 times per second. This means that in the event of a crash and complete power loss Flytrex will still be able to point you to the last known location with 0.5 second accuracy (or better). You can then easily locate your last known location by visiting your Flytrex Live personal profile, or using one of our mobile apps (iOS and Android - available for free download).

Since the Live 3G transmits full telemetry data (and not only location details), in the event of a crash Flytrex will give you a full overview of your last-known aircraft status - and not only location data. This includes altitude from ground (whether you should be searching the tree tops..), last-known speed (in the event of a high-speed crash) and so on.

Since Flytrex stores your flight data to your personal Flytrex account, this means that even if you crash in to water, the system will still be able to pin-point you to the location you hit the water - which can make a huge difference recovering any components that might have survived (GoPro..).

Thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to hear.
I have ordered one.

p fandango said:
Brent10 said:
i had my bro watching me remotely while i flew today, he says he was updating a couple of times every second & was quite a fluid motion. I was expecting it to be quite jumpy but not by the sound of it

Ah, that's good.
Flytrex will be on my bird soon.

have not read every post but one thing that could be an issue would be if the battery popped out during a crash ....then the Flytrex would be dead too? How often does it record position?

nevermind ....... :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT