Flytrex just added

Reaction score
Just added a Flytrex Live and man am I impressed. Popped the top off and soldered the two connections to the main board.(Thought that was going to be hard) Went really smooth. Popped in my ATT sim and initialized. Now flying with the added comfort I know where my bird is at all times. Just took it on a mile flight which put it out of range. Jumped over to the Flytrex website and watched it hit all of my waypoints and return home. I was nervous since this was my first out of range flight, but with Flytrex I knew exactly where it was. Nice piece of equipment.

Txfirecop said:
Just added a Flytrex Live and man am I impressed. Popped the top off and soldered the two connections to the main board.(Thought that was going to be hard) Went really smooth. Popped in my ATT sim and initialized. Now flying with the added comfort I know where my bird is at all times. Just took it on a mile flight which put it out of range. Jumped over to the Flytrex website and watched it hit all of my waypoints and return home. I was nervous since this was my first out of range flight, but with Flytrex I knew exactly where it was. Nice piece of equipment.

Do you got the new 3G version?

I got the 2G version and when it works, it's an unbeatable product with no equal on the market, esp. when you fly beyond LOS and need to know where your bird is in real time.

However, I've had data dropout problems with the 2G service, even when I'm in an area with supposedly good T-Mobile coverage. I hope to upgrade to 3G soon since I heard it's a lot more reliable.

I do have the 3G version and have it activated on ATT through my phone plan. Cost is $10/month and works off of my data plan I already have in place. No issues today on first two flights. Going out tomorrow for additional flights. Just checked my data report and flew 16.41 minutes. Used less that 0.1 GB. Lots of data on the raw report also.

Txfirecop said:
I do have the 3G version and have it activated on ATT through my phone plan. Cost is $10/month and works off of my data plan I already have in place. No issues today on first two flights. Going out tomorrow for additional flights. Just checked my data report and flew 16.41 minutes. Used less that 0.1 GB. Lots of data on the raw report also.

Yeah, I can't wait to dump my T-Mobile prepaid data plan --- they just raised it to $20 for 1 GB per month! Just aint worth it for the little data being sent by Flytrex.

I heard H2O Wireless is like $20 for 90 days of data. Very cheap.

I understand the H20 works off of the ATT system. If it's cheaper, I would at least try it.

Good luck with it. I'm no expert with the Flytrex but if I can help you with it, just let me know.

I'm using my Live 3G on H2O Wireless (AT&T's network). 22 flights on it with $8.79 left on the $10 prepaid card I bought. I'm happy with H2O wireless!

To the person that said "used less than 0.1GB" that is hard to believe. The cell network doesn't have that much BW.

Rich, the ATT web site says the device I added today (Flytrex) has used less than 0.1 GB data. Not sure what bandwidth has to do with data used. It's on their 3G network, not sure how much bandwidth was used to transmit

i've got a live 3G with can-bus lead in the post as we speak, can't wait to replace my Core 2 with it

MadMitch88 said:
phenom3030 said:
22 flights on it with $8.79 left on the $10 prepaid card I bought.
Now that is the kind of financial math that makes me smile! :D

Does the $10 prepaid last for 90 days?

:mrgreen: Glad to help!

Yes, it only lasts 90 days. I'm guessing I might have a balance at expiration. I mostly fly weekends. You can check out my flytrex profile for flight times, mainly 15+- minutes at a time.

And my Flytrex has already paid for itself in recovering my Phantom after a collision/flyaway. Without Flytrex's "last seen" tool on their app, I would have been out $1k+!

http://youtu.be/bBsPH0fSqYY

p fandango said:
i've got a live 3G with can-bus lead in the post as we speak, can't wait to replace my Core 2 with it

Yeah ditto. I think GiffGaff PAYG will be good for this, it has worked out well with my tracker.

Txfirecop said:

Many thanks Txfirecop for the support!! :) It's really encouraging to see such post! :)

You mentioned you were watching your live flight via the Flytrex web-site, and I wanted to mention we recently released our first Flytrex apps for both iOS and Android. Our mobile apps take far better advantage of the smaller screen real-estate when using a mobile device and gives a really simple way to track your flight in real-time without range limitations.

Flytrex Android here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ex.flytrex
Flytrex iOS here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flytrex ... 02433?mt=8

We're trying to roll new updates quickly now and hope to have more exciting new features added in upcoming days. :)

Thanks amitregev, I will download it tonight and check it out. Once again, nice product.

Questions

I have the Flytrex 3G live on order & also downloaded the Android app in the meantime.

All of our cell phones are with Verizon as we have great coverage in our area with them, T-Mobile had too many dropped calls.

Things I don't understand in the flytrex manual http://www.flytrex.com/support/flytrex-live/manual/

"5. Data MicroSIM and Data Usage

Live uses 2G data microSIM for its live telemetry stream. You can order such microSIM from most local mobile carriers. When ordering, make sure the SIM crad is designed for use with 2G GPRS modems"

Isn't 2G being phased out in favor of 3G & 4G?

Best Buy sells the H20 plan referenced above.

Does H20 tap into any available network? (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T or T-Mobile)

Thanks for your help!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94