Flying over water

Any advice for flying over water?

Is there any precautions that need to be taken in advance?

What might be the first sign of trouble?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Dont fly too low, obstacle avoidance isn't accurate over water and choose a good filter. Also flying with cam pointing straight down and flying along the shore brings superb shots especially flying backwards.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Any advice for flying over water?

Is there any precautions that need to be taken in advance?

What might be the first sign of trouble?

My name may say newbie, but that was 6 months ago. lol
I live on a lake, and that's where I actually learned hot to fly. The VPS advice is great, specially when it's clear and sunny.
First just take your time. At first i was constantly worrying, from the drone just dropping from the sky, or losing the FTH would fail if I lost a signal.
I don't know which phantom you have, but I have the P4, and Like I said I've been flying for 5-6 months.
Once I've had some minor problems, that I caused flying to far, and lose image signal transmission. Causing a blank screen for a minute.
Then seeing it come back on, doing it's job by heading home.
I knew it was not going to lose the home position, or drop out of the sky. lol
Some of my flying tips
If your gonna go out a good distance keep it at 200-250ft altitude. I've noticed I get a better signal.
Main thing, if you do like to fly to some area of the lake that would make good video, and picture taking. Make sure you know the wind direction, and wind speed.
I've noticed lakes can get pretty breezy, and if I'm flying long distances into a head wind, I keep a eye out how fast I'm going into the wind, and how fast I'll be fly back down wind, and vice verse.
I have a cool lighthouse around 3 miles from take off, 100% over the water after I take off from my backyard. It's all about what your going to do over water, most is common since.
I will recommend you getting some good filters, 1 for a super bright sunny day, another for overcast.
Here is a pic of my last rout over lake Conroe, in southeast Texas.
If you have any specific questions, just ask.
There are a lot more knowledgeable guys in here then me, that has been doing this a lot longer.
But 99% of my flights have been over water.
You'll have a blast getting great sunsets or lightening storms from off in the distance, to videoing big bad powerboats, and when you go up what ever your max altitude is set at, the view of the lake is also cool, to be able to clime up to 400ft. and see the entire open body of water is really cool as well.
Good luck enjoy, hangs fun, and fly at your comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Attachments

• IMG_6547.JPG
    IMG_6547.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 495
Reactions: Banksy
These photos were taken at about 14,000ft, on the same day, but the one was around sun set giving off those nice colors was nice. I don't have any mountains, or beautiful scenery, just hope for nice colors like that 1, and if storms far off.
I so want to fly to that lighthouse at night time, but im not sure how it'll react to total darkness as it's crossing the mile and a half wide part of the lake.

Attachments

• IMG_6604.JPG
    IMG_6604.JPG
    334.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_6606.JPG
    IMG_6606.JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 444
These photos were taken at about 14,000ft, on the same day, but the one was around sun set giving off those nice colors was nice. I don't have any mountains, or beautiful scenery, just hope for nice colors like that 1, and if storms far off.
I so want to fly to that lighthouse at night time, but im not sure how it'll react to total darkness as it's crossing the mile and a half wide part of the lake.

14,000 Feet?

Where do you live that allows a drone to 14,000 feet?

Dont fly too low, obstacle avoidance isn't accurate over water and choose a good filter. Also flying with cam pointing straight down and flying along the shore brings superb shots especially flying backwards.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G900F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I need to correct my response to you!

So... Flying high, camera down or pointed near shore.

I hope this is correct! I am going to give this a shot today!

I need to correct my response to you!

So... Flying high, camera down or pointed near shore.

I hope this is correct! I am going to give this a shot today!
Even with fairly calm water, level will rise and fall some, and judging distances watching the return from the wide angle lens can be deceiving. Figure how low you are comfortable flying above any surface and double (at least) it!

14,000 Feet?

Where do you live that allows a drone to 14,000 feet?
Those photos weren't taken either from a height of 14,000 or at that distance from the lighthouse! Looks like he misplaced a comma. Beautiful shots though.

Those photos weren't taken either from a height of 14,000 or at that distance from the lighthouse! Looks like he misplaced a comma. Beautiful shots though.

Yeah I just looked at the photo's yeah you're right

=)

At 14,000 feet altitude, I would think, that lighthouse would be very hard to see lol
I was just showing you, how pretty the colors reflecting off the lake late are, in the evenings. Compared to when it's a bit earlier in the day.
Love flying over water.

14k ft? I'm just making 1500 most of the time, managed to get just past 4000 today.
It's white knuckles when you get to the point of weak signal, no controls and no video, not hearing back for 15 seconds or more when she triggered RTH and got back in range.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

14k ft? I'm just making 1500 most of the time, managed to get just past 4000 today.
It's white knuckles when you get to the point of weak signal, no controls and no video, not hearing back for 15 seconds or more when she triggered RTH and got back in range.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I guess, I've tried pushing it to the limits so much, that I'm use to it cutting out, but i am confident it'll find it's way back home. But after today, it's going straight to maxx uav to get the evolite kit plus.
I've had all the inconsistent weak transmissions I can take. I tried to hit my goal, but came up a little short. Hopefully when I get it back, the only problem I will have, is making sure I have enough battery to get home. 2.9 miles was my best.

Sorry meant to say I was 14,900ft out from my home, flying around 250ft. altitude.
Whew, that makes more sense. Still pretty brave to go out that far and to stick around long enough to take pictures! Almost 30kft (close to 6 miles) round trip, what was your battery like when you got back?

23% but I was disgusted with myself, when i came up 640ft short of my goal of 15,840/3mile run.
Even with a minor hiccup 3/4's of the way there with 77% battery left, and everything reading perfect it RTH over 600ft before I caught it.
With 15-20mph wind swirling, and messing with me, I wimped out, and RTH not realizing I had plenty to get there. Oh well I settled for 15,200ft before modding my RC.

Attachments

• IMG_6703.PNG
    IMG_6703.PNG
    3.3 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_6704.JPG
    IMG_6704.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 253
Great photos, and daring range over water!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl