Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying near small airports

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by CardiacKid, May 10, 2016.

1. CardiacKid

Near me i have a small general aviation airport. No tower or anything. What are the rules? By mom dads there is a bigger airport (tower etc) and we can and get a time to fly. Just curious about smaller ones and fly in airports

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. Matt122;

You still need to find a phone number and alert them to the fact that you will be flying.

Squirrel! likes this.
  3. BDOG

Did you check the B4UFLY app? See what is says about flying in that area.

Squirrel! likes this.
  4. Mark The Droner

You should read AC 91-57A. If it's an airport, then you have to notify them somehow, tower or no tower.

Squirrel! likes this.
  5. Bigmike2016

when i fly near a small field i take my icom handle radio and tune to there unicom and Make a call just like any Other aircrafts Befor and After my Flight to let Pilot know what i am doing and what alt i am going to be at just like any Aircraft

Big prob here is there are people who fly trikes lower then they should so its more dangrous for me to fly here second reson for to have my radio working so i can talk to them if they are in the area they Seem Cool no pilot has sayed get off the Channel they normaly say thank you for Letting them know

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/Icom-IC-A14-V...&qid=1462972262&sr=8-1&keywords=icom+air+band
    $218.00

helps to know the Radio pilot lingo too i fly a Bunch my father is a pilot plus i do Lockheed p3d Flight trainer daily ;)

6. flyhigh101

according to faa it's cool to fly but fly with caution and keep an eye on the sky

Squirrel! likes this.
  7. flyhigh101

but remember if they do have someone on duty there somewhere make contact with them if possible

Squirrel! likes this.
  8. flyhigh101

we are not that bad lol

9. JCP10

Agree with Matt122, and I also live near a busy regional airport. We called the tower, and they told us: just stay under 400 feet, you will be fine: (this has proven to be NOT TRUE), many helicopters come in low and fast over my neighborhood (300 feet, poss lower) even though the airport NOTAMS says to fly at 1000' over the neighborhoods. YOU MUST ALWAYS watch out for THEM, because they may not see you. Also...just be aware that some small airports may have some kind of no fly zone (NFZ), that may pop up on your device. Although I never fly in the yellow zone of my airport (I come close), I still get warnings, EVEN AFTER I've pre -cleared (get a DJI account, and check out the "creating unlock plans". Not being aware of a NFZ could get you in trouble if a VIP comes in and some kind of "red zone" NFZ gets imposed. May cause your bird to land without you being able to bring it back (heard about this happening when a 30 mile NFZ was imposed in Chicago).

Just assume there could be trouble, or silliness, and be prepared to TACAMO (navy term: Take Action and MOVE) away from it.

10. joet

Late to this thread, but this is a really, really, really bad idea in the US. The FCC has no category of station license for a pilot not aboard the actual aircraft, so you would be literally transmitting without a license/authorization.

Call the airport (and tower, if there is one) on the phone.

LoneDrone likes this.
  11. Richard R

Agree, the whole idea of using a handheld has been chewed over a lot in other threads with the same conclusion.

12. RW-1

TACAMO - Take Charge and Move Out - you forgot O-Out (VQ-4 Alumnus)

13. ChiefStealth

One of my flying fields is within 5 miles of two different small air fields. I found phone numbers for both, and I called them. They thanked me for the call, and told me that they didn't want to be informed every time I fly. They would be getting dozens of calls a day. So, they just tell people to fly safe.

14. PhantomEvan

Well, I live near a small airport and when I fly, I don't call. You don't see planes flying at 100-400 feet so I don't see why it matters.

15. joet

In a case like that, I'd want it in writing - or at least the name of the person you spoke to with the date and time logged.

If you have an incident, and it is investigated, and no one at the airport recalls you calling in that day to notify, well, you can see where that could lead...

16. joet

Because it is the law?

17. PhantomEvan

Well I'm not arrested yet? Besides, the airport I live near is tiny and I don't even think has a number.

18. N017RW

But you're not like any other aircraft.

What's your call sign/Station ID when doing this?

19. WilliamM

Thank you, can't believe this guys post is way back from May, and no one replied to this till now. OMG do people really think it's ok to just transmit on any band they choice just because you can buy the equipment online?? Or your local Radio Shack (once in the past). Precisely, "What's your call sign/Station ID when doing this?" I know, it's "CQ It's Big Mike the drone guy"

#19 WilliamM, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    N017RW likes this.
  20. WilliamM

"Well I'm not arrested yet?" That's not a good why to look at it. And besides it's your responsible to research it and find out, especially if your planning to fly in this area often.