Flying near aircraft question

Reaction score
Tomorrow we will hosting a helicopter egg drop. The helicopter will take off, fly over a field, drop a lot of plastic eggs, then fly back to it's landing spot. Once it lands, the kids will run onto the field and grab eggs. This will happen a few times for different age groups of the kids.

Once the helicopter lands, would I be okay to fly my drone to film the kids as long as the helicopter is landed? Do I need to talk to the helicopter pilot before I do this?

Tomorrow we will hosting a helicopter egg drop. The helicopter will take off, fly over a field, drop a lot of plastic eggs, then fly back to it's landing spot. Once it lands, the kids will run onto the field and grab eggs. This will happen a few times for different age groups of the kids.

Once the helicopter lands, would I be okay to fly my drone to film the kids as long as the helicopter is landed? Do I need to talk to the helicopter pilot before I do this?

You absolutely MUST coordinate with the HELO pilot. At the very least to foster a positive interaction and to not cause worry on their behalf. Just imagine how the story can be "spun" against you if someone reports the activity to the FAA.

Be warned he/she may ask you to not fly and even though they can't "stop you" sometimes we have to think BIG PICTURE!!

Definitely discuss, he’ll be gad you did. Remember he’s a pilot too and probably has a more than average interest in all things aviation. I’m thinking with good communication and some mutual trust you could fly and film while the helicopter drops. Have fun post video.

Reactions: Indiana_pyro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72