Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flying in state parks in Ohio.

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Nickster, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Nickster

2. 66Fury

National parks is a NO GO as of now, from what I read, each state has their own regulations, best bet is to call that particular park and ask.

Address: 19852 Ohio 664, Logan, OH 43138
    Hours:
    Open today · 9AM–5PM
    Thursday 9AM–5PM
    Friday 9AM–5PM
    Saturday 9AM–5PM
    Sunday 9AM–5PM
    Monday 9AM–5PM
    Tuesday 9AM–5PM
    Wednesday 9AM–5PM
    Phone: (740) 385-6842

Nickster likes this.
  3. drm

drm

See my response to your post in General....

4. Nickster

Thanks for all the info. I called today. No laws against it but said I could not retrieve it if it went down off the trail since not allowed off trail and very busy right now so they did not recommend it. I told them I agreed since I do not want to be flying over lots of people and be in the way. Like the wedding indoor guy thread I saw, I may look at an Osmo for the trip for better land shots.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

5. syotr

I was there last weekend. I would not feel comfortable flying there at all. It was very crowded. Of course it was a holiday weekend. The other thing is that you may have trouble getting GPS signal there down in the canyons.

Nickster likes this.
  6. telescott

I flew at Pleasant Hill lake and campground near Perrysville, Ohio last weekend. It is not a state part, but it was great. I tried to stay over water all the time.

Here is a video I posted on youtube

Nickster likes this.
  7. kirk2579

definitely not going to see gps in some of those trails..
    Awesome place to visit

8. Frankly Visual

Greetings!

Thought I would chime in on this important question. Ohio State Parks operate under DNR which has the authority to enforce portions of the Ohio Administrative Code. The section of the OAC that can arguably apply to drones is:

1501:41-13-11 Aviation.
    No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or from those lands or waters where maintained landing zones are located; or to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus except with permission from the chief or at designated airfields. Any person landing or taking off from the waters of the division as permitted by this rule may use the waters of the division as necessary to taxi between such landing area and a service or docking area. "Voluntarily" as used in this rule shall mean anything other than a landing made in emergency conditions. Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 09/01/2015 and 09/01/2020

As you can see this rule is under a five year review status. Bottom line is that the manager/chief for the specific park can give permission or designate specific areas where drone use would be permissible. Without that permission, you cannot fly. The real bottom line has been that they rarely give permission. Fly cautiously, if at all.

9. drm

drm

Yes, but read it carefully: "No person shall take off, or ascend within or from the lands or waters administered by the division in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, glider, or other aerial apparatus" or "to voluntarily bring, land or alight, within or upon the land or waters administered by the division, in any airplane, flying machine, balloon, parachute or other aerial apparatus". This specifically refers to manned aircraft, and specifically does not include unmanned aircraft. Granted, it is subject to review, and if enough idiots were to violate general rules of safe operation, it certainly could change. But for now, I'm flying.

10. gvsukids

Wouldn't flying machine pertain to p3?

Drone Ops Video. likes this.
  11. 66Fury

What I was thinking...or this - or other aerial apparatus

12. Nickster

See my post from #4. I talked with the head of the park and received that answer. As @kirk2579 said and after being there, there is no way that you could get GPS. The gorges are very tree covered and with the caves. There are definitely beautiful sites there and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area. Ash Cave was definitely our favorite. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

66Fury likes this.