Flying from inside the car

Reaction score
Anyone have any interference while flying from inside the car?

I been flying while sitting in the car with the ac on and I keep on losing the picture/ signal. What in the car can cause it thing? Anyone have the same issue?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

lets guess metal and electronics in car

Reactions: George_Sav
The car's construction makes it difficult for the radio waves to propagate. These systems don't like objects to be between the transmitter and receiver. Metal is one of the worst in terms of blocking or attenuating the control signals. There are threads or discussions here about using antennas on the outside of your vehicle to overcome this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: omerk
A car provides good electrical insulation, though not in the realm of a Faraday Cage it would only take a metal screen in the Windows, this is provided in lots of cars by the heating element and radio antenna in the front and rear windows, sometimes the glass also contains a laminate to cut down UV that is metal oxide based. None of this helps if you receive a signal from your drone while inside.
I would look into an external antenna that could be mounted outside, assuming that getting out of your vehicle is difficult.

Last edited:
When this question comes up on occasion I like to repost this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also some car windows have some heat protection film that are not fun for radio waves.
Not to mention that the antenna should be properly orientated, that's really needed in such environment.

He says, high external temperature. There is also possible need for shadow.

Hi all. I can understand trying to fly from inside a car.....I live in Dubai with outside temperature hitting 48 some days which means we can't fly....it's bloody irritating being so hot and I don't think it does that batteries any good. Have flow a few times this summer but can't really get good results...sand, sand and more bloody Sand.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

If you really want to fly from inside the car, you got to modify antenna and mount it on top of the car.

It is unsafe to Fly above 40 deg C as it might over heat certain vital components such as battery, video processor etc

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: George_Sav
Few weeks ago people here have laughed at me when I asked if Follow Me can work 100% good when I am in the car with the remote and driving. And now suddenly it does give interference with the RC.

I've had no problems with "Follow Me" from inside a 2015 pickup truck. On one mission I went 7 miles at 150' AGL. Worked flawlessly.

When this question comes up on occasion I like to repost this video.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Nice........ How about hydraulics under the floor to give feedback !!

Hi all. I can understand trying to fly from inside a car.....I live in Dubai with outside temperature hitting 48 some days which means we can't fly....it's bloody irritating being so hot and I don't think it does that batteries any good. Have flow a few times this summer but can't really get good results...sand, sand and more bloody Sand.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Please be careful in extreme temperatures as the radiant heat on the surface of the drone plus heat in the motors and battery could reduce the life of the electronics 48 deg is taken in the shade so the interior of the drone will be way up........

:)
Why try to fly inside your car anyway....??
Hopefully he was trying to fly while sitting in the car... and the drone was outside....... flying a drone inside a car is something that I would love to watch........please post a video!!

I've been doing it. I won't set any distance records, but within a mile it works ok. It doesn't cut out much more than if I was standing outside. Nice and comfy, and good shade for the tablet. It would be pretty sweet to have a magnetic antenna that could be put on the roof.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan