Flying from inside house or car anyone?

There is one stated for $35 + shipping, DONT get that, it's for cable, not lmr-400, it's decent but not ultra low loss, super low loss I think, either way, my next one will be $63 it looks like

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Again, you lose video first right? When you lose downlink, your FC is still full signal, or does it degrade a little at range?

Report back here when you are set up.
Unfortunately, the connectors I was told to order are the jack style and not the plug style SMS, so they arrived but it's a no go! The combination is really very heavy, adding even more weight on a cable, so I am going to return everything and reorder with the correct lightweight connector, which will be available next week. Here's the correct one:HG2409MGU-RSP
image.png

Unfortunately, the connectors I was told to order are the jack style and not the plug style SMS, so they arrived but it's a no go! The combination is really very heavy, adding even more weight on a cable, so I am going to return everything and reorder with the correct lightweight connector, which will be available next week. Here's the correct one:HG2409MGU-RSP
View attachment 54982
So, your going for the car first gadget? I just talked to the company that has the 5' Hawking's for $45 to see if it was his last one or not, if not I'm going to get two for that price, cheapest around. Good job, to bad they messed up the order though man.

This implies you might be thinking of amplifying the video transmit signal at the craft. Be careful what you wish for. If you boost the craft video signal you could potentially start losing your control signal first, triggering RTH. Is that what you want?

If I can get out to about 3miles reliably (stock battery can't go much further) without boosting the craft video signal, I'm good. I'd rather be humble with 3mi and have control of the craft, always losing video first as a warning, versus flying out 3-4 miles, having video, but losing control signal all the time to trigger RTH. I think that's a recipe for disaster, however the few times my RTH kicked in, it returned to papa without a hitch. The problem is waiting and waiting for RTH and to regain control ages me.o_O
I don't understand why it seems your distance on same birds vary so much? I mean, 3 miles cannot be close to the limit as there are 6+ mile flights without power systems being altered. Is it super windy where you fly? Or are you a speed demon? Lol, I'm not being facetious, or breaking balls, I'm being serious. At least I see 5 mile flights that I thought weren't battery modded

I'm also thinking about before mounting on the roof, or mast, using the 5' off the rzr's roll bar, might look badass with twin 5 foot antennas on it!?
I'll get those break away mounts like the big rigs have because after all, it does get in and out of some of the most knarly crap in the world, with low branches.

Reactions: Jeremiah Nelson
I need to do this. Who did it for u?
Hey Jerimiah I know we been over this, but, I'm considering putting the 15dB hawking on the downlink feed side, the 9 for F/C and the 15 for video receiving only.....thoughts?
Only because I'm really seeing the HD down suffering. I'm going to look back over the horizontal spread angle, compare it to the 9dB, if they are the same and not too narrow, maybe this would also help your situation where you were saying you'd like to get a better signal there too

Again, you lose video first right? When you lose downlink, your FC is still full signal, or does it degrade a little at range?

Control
Hey Jerimiah I know we been over this, but, I'm considering putting the 15dB hawking on the downlink feed side, the 9 for F/C and the 15 for video receiving only.....thoughts?
Only because I'm really seeing the HD down suffering. I'm going to look back over the horizontal spread angle, compare it to the 9dB, if they are the same and not too narrow, maybe this would also help your situation where you were saying you'd like to get a better signal there too

It's worth a shot. Give it a go and see what happens. Been using the my house setup a ton lately and it's just working so well I don't think I am going to even change anything.

Reactions: auen1
So, your going for the car first gadget? I just talked to the company that has the 5' Hawking's for $45 to see if it was his last one or not, if not I'm going to get two for that price, cheapest around. Good job, to bad they messed up the order though man.
The correct antennas with the SMA plug connectors have been back ordered for a month or so. The conversion connectors were a workaround that just didn't work out. Way too heavy with the N plug alone on the end, and even heavier with yet another converter connector, even if the correct one. Also, by ordering them factory installed on the end, there is no additional signal power loss, from adding additional converting connectors, changing the end piece configuration. The complete correct setup for our transmitters should be available to order next week.

Last edited:
The correct antennas with the SMA plug connectors have been back ordered for a month or so. The conversion connectors were a workaround that just didn't work out. Way too heavy with the N plug alone on the end, and even heavier with yet another converter connector, even if the correct one. Also, by ordering them factory installed on the end, there is no additional signal power loss, from adding additional converting connectors, changing the end piece configuration. The complete correct setup for our transmitters should be available to order next week.

I've had a ton of different adapters at times and notice no loss in range. Sure it would be better to use as few as u can but makes no noticeable difference that I've seen.

Reactions: cstout and hotashes
What kind of range are you getting?

(This is only in my back garden) Best is 11,000ft compared to 4,000ft with dbs, it's only because of the trees and houses. Run 10m cables unamped to the house and fly inside fine. This is standard battery, no doubt it would go further. Got a few more antennas to test, get a comparison then.

There are many here who will advocate for safe flying within established guidelines.
Asking me to leave means that you're getting the message and you don't like it.
Please go away. This was done in a safe environment with spotters. This thread is not for you. Thanks for your input tho.

No it means you are trying to assert your views without any knowledge of how his flight was done. You are a self appointed uav police and are moving this thread off subject. You stated the usa laws, great, now move on and let this very interesting thread stay on course.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: phantom13flyer
No signal loss with 10 meter cables? Interested in the house setup because taking off from my driveway and flying around the mountains I live in, even with a boosted DBS setup I can only go out 4,000 feet due to massive amounts of trees and quite a bit of wifi interference

Reactions: Sim597
I've had a ton of different adapters at times and notice no loss in range. Sure it would be better to use as few as u can but makes no noticeable difference that I've seen.
It was told the power loss would only be 0.3 dB. That really wasn't the issue. It was the huge additional weight the N connector with the proper converter adds to the end, straining the already heavily overloaded transmitter, pulling it further apart. The screw holes are stripped. Granted, inside the car, it's sitting and supported on your lap, and not hanging from a lanyard around your neck, but the less weight hanging off the connectors, the better.

No signal loss with 10 meter cables? Interested in the house setup because taking off from my driveway and flying around the mountains I live in, even with a boosted DBS setup I can only go out 4,000 feet due to massive amounts of trees and quite a bit of wifi interference
Agreed, I can fly a needles path and get to over a mile, but I've lost signal doing this, with 90' trees it seems boosted or non boosted, thru the trees I average about the exact same, 4300' or so. It does depend on the day, some days I get noise right off the bat, other days are much better and can really push the envelope.

What is the name of the app you are referring to?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
It was/is the DJI app! lol maybe the assistant? I just some guys talking about it in the "news" section, no wonder I couldn't find it, had it the whole time. They were complaining that now everyone can come and steal your shyt now and know where we fly....I didn't get that from it, just didn't see anyone else using it.

It was told the power loss would only be 0.3 dB. That really wasn't the issue. It was the huge additional weight the N connector with the proper converter adds to the end, straining the already heavily overloaded transmitter, pulling it further apart. The screw holes are stripped. Granted, inside the car, it's sitting and supported on your lap, and not hanging from a lanyard around your neck, but the less weight hanging off the connectors, the better.
I too, using a 300B have this problem, I bought a new hot glue gun the other day, and re-welded the seems. I personally cannot stand any, and I mean any, rattles or loose fitting anything, so the hot glue is a no brainer. I still have yet to redo my remote for the "clean install" that Jake thru in on the trade, but by looking at what I want to do, I may cut off the booster wings on the battery holder, and either place them in a better spot, or do away with them. I'm taking my time in engineering a correct and ergonomically comfortable way to both hold, and operate the controller in the field, with the large Itilite, then on to the inside version.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
So, Jermiah, how do you power the amps when near AC power? You still just use the USB for power, or plug them in via adapter?
I friggen love the Anker 13,400mah battery that Jake ships from MaxxUAV. For one, it's 4.8a out is crazy badass for 5v plus, it's dual output. Plus it feels like it belongs with the Sunhans Amps.
I don't know about you guys, but these amps and battery are just so top notch, bleeding, cutting edge tech man.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West