Flying from a boat..........

It works great. Got to go easy on the sticks and it is so much better with the p3. This is some wake boarding event video I took last weekend, I'm getting better at it.
I used to board a lot. Am going to get back into it once my ACL heals up. Have you tried any boarding shots when you are 10 feet up and the rider does a tantrum, back roll, Raleigh, etc. while you are on the other side of the wake riding parallel with the rider jumping into you?

I used to board a lot. Am going to get back into it once my ACL heals up. Have you tried any boarding shots when you are 10 feet up and the rider does a tantrum, back roll, Raleigh, etc. while you are on the other side of the wake riding parallel with the rider jumping into you?
Not yet, been flying at 30'.

Looks like I posted the "Bait Transfer" video before. This is a different boat video from the same day.

I have never calibrated on a boat. No issues in over 20+ flights.

I am wondering and this may be a dumb question but if flying off a moving boat can you use ATTI mode the whole time and never have to worry about resetting the HOME point because you are not use GPS? Will ATTI mode work like that or will it still record a HOME point from where you take off from?

I am wondering and this may be a dumb question but if flying off a moving boat can you use ATTI mode the whole time and never have to worry about resetting the HOME point because you are not use GPS? Will ATTI mode work like that or will it still record a HOME point from where you take off from?
You could use atti mode but it's not going to give you any benefit.
Your Phantom would drift with any wind and it's not going to stop quickly when you take your hands off the controls.
How is having no home point any better than having a home point that might not be where the boat is now.

Follow-me mode will work on water just the same was as on land ... but you're definitely going to have to have GPS for that.

You could use atti mode but it's not going to give you any benefit.
Your Phantom would drift with any wind and it's not going to stop quickly when you take your hands off the controls.
How is having no home point any better than having a home point that might not be where the boat is now.

Follow-me mode will work on water just the same was as on land ... but you're definitely going to have to have GPS for that.
The reason of not having a home point is since the boat will always be moving, having no Home Point will cancel having a max distance limit so you can fly without having to worry about reaching that limit and the phantom going back and landing while you are still sailing along the other direction. With a home point I will need to keep resetting it as I move with the ship. A home point will not help because if it goes there it will be in the middle of water either way.

The reason of not having a home point is since the boat will always be moving, having no Home Point will cancel having a max distance limit so you can fly without having to worry about reaching that limit and the phantom going back and landing while you are still sailing along the other direction. With a home point I will need to keep resetting it as I move with the ship. A home point will not help because if it goes there it will be in the middle of water either way.
I think the actual benefits of having GPS would far outweigh any imagined positives you might be looking to gain using atti.
Disabling the Max Distance limit in the app would also get rid of any distance limit.
What kind of flying are you anticipating?
Are you intending to (a) sail along and shoot your boat or (b) zip off into the distance and photograph far away subjects?
If (a) you should have the Phantom near enough to know where it is and be able to bring it back whenever you want to.
If (a) or (b) and you lose sight of the phantom, it's easy enough to reset home to your current location and initiate RTH and cancel and resume control when you spot it again.
The fact that your initial home point is back in the water shouldn't be a major issue.

I've done this a few times this Summer. Our boat is about the same size as the OP pic. I have launched from the aft deck and done a hand catch. Our back stay is split all the way to the masthead so it is easier for us.

My actual preference is to launch and land from the dingy. It's faster and easier to maneuver it and the quad, especially with someone else running the dink. This has the benefit of also shooting from another camera or two on the dingy as well and adds to the shots and footage available to edit later.

I think the actual benefits of having GPS would far outweigh any imagined positives you might be looking to gain using atti.
Disabling the Max Distance limit in the app would also get rid of any distance limit.
What kind of flying are you anticipating?
Are you intending to (a) sail along and shoot your boat or (b) zip off into the distance and photograph far away subjects?
If (a) you should have the Phantom near enough to know where it is and be able to bring it back whenever you want to.
If (a) or (b) and you lose sight of the phantom, it's easy enough to reset home to your current location and initiate RTH and cancel and resume control when you spot it again.
The fact that your initial home point is back in the water shouldn't be a major issue.

Thanks for the insight, the plan was to film a large cruise ship sailing around NYC and with no wifi, I would not be able to set RTH at my location and even if doing so it would change in seconds, all shots were wanted by the production from being in close to a model and then zipping far back to get the whole ship in the shot with the NYC skyline. Lucky for me this ship never left port and the production was misinformed. I am also wondering if RTH is already triggered could I still set it and stop the P3 from going further away? I've heard both that turning off max distance will stop the issue and I could fly with the ship without a worry but I also heard people say they hit the 400M mark and the P3 turned around and went to land back the other way so I was worried without a clear answer and was planning to keep resetting RTH based on the P3 location.

Thanks for the insight, the plan was to film a large cruise ship sailing around NYC and with no wifi, I would not be able to set RTH at my location and even if doing so it would change in seconds,
... I am also wondering if RTH is already triggered could I still set it and stop the P3 from going further away? I've heard both that turning off max distance will stop the issue and I could fly with the ship without a worry but I also heard people say they hit the 400M mark and the P3 turned around and went to land back the other way so I was worried without a clear answer and was planning to keep resetting RTH based on the P3 location.
I'm a bit confused by what you're asking.
You don't need wifi to be able to reset your home point.
Don't complicate things with a max distance limit because it will be a distance from wherever the Phantom thinks home is.
The Phantom "hits a wall" at the limit and won't turn around and go back.
But if home is way back behind the boat you might end up with a situation where you couldn't get the Phantom back because the boat was outside the max limit from "home".
The simplest approach is to be aware of where your Phantom is at all times.
If you fly beyond visual range, know how to use the radar display to keep track of the Phantom and be able to bring it back in range manually.
Reset home to your current location if the boat is moving a lot and you are flying out of visual range.

I'm a bit confused by what you're asking.
You don't need wifi to be able to reset your home point.
Don't complicate things with a max distance limit because it will be a distance from wherever the Phantom thinks home is.
The Phantom "hits a wall" at the limit and won't turn around and go back.
But if home is way back behind the boat you might end up with a situation where you couldn't get the Phantom back because the boat was outside the max limit from "home".
The simplest approach is to be aware of where your Phantom is at all times.
If you fly beyond visual range, know how to use the radar display to keep track of the Phantom and be able to bring it back in range manually.
Reset home to your current location if the boat is moving a lot and you are flying out of visual range.

ok gotcha, I read that you can only set RTH as "your location" with wifi but you can make the home point where the P3 is without?

ok gotcha, I read that you can only set RTH as "your location" with wifi but you can make the home point where the P3 is without?
You can reset the Phantom's homepoint to wherever the Phantom is using only the Phantom's GPS.
If you want to reset home to the current location of the controller, you have to have a GPS enabled phone/tablet.

People get confused because Apple only fit GPS in their cellular iPads.
Their wifi only iPads have no GPS but most Android tablets have GPS

But if you are flying within visual range, resetting home to be where the Phantom is or where the controller is should be fine for your project.
The idea is to prevent the Phantom wanting to fly back two miles to where it was launched.
And you don't want to allow RTH to land for you anyway.
On a boat you need to cancel RTH and hand catch.

You can reset the Phantom's homepoint to wherever the Phantom is using only the Phantom's GPS.
If you want to reset home to the current location of the controller, you have to have a GPS enabled phone/tablet.

People get confused because Apple only fit GPS in their cellular iPads.
Their wifi only iPads have no GPS but most Android tablets have GPS

But if you are flying within visual range, resetting home to be where the Phantom is or where the controller is should be fine for your project.
The idea is to prevent the Phantom wanting to fly back two miles to where it was launched.
And you don't want to allow RTH to land for you anyway.
On a boat you need to cancel RTH and hand catch.
Yes I had it set to hoover, I was just worried/unsure about turning off max distance, if it really did what it says it will or if it was going to try and fly back home at 400M

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1