Flying for non-profit public TV

Reaction score
Does anyone know the rules pertaining to public television (PBS affiliate) and UAV footage on air? I work at a local PBS station and we are looking to use some UAV footage in some educational material for a TV broadcast. The footage would also be used on the web and possibly in promos for the show. Would we still fall under commercial use, or does our non-profit status allow us to use footage like this?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There are lots of threads here with that same question. Try a search and you may find some info to help you. At this point in time the answer is almost always 'no, you can not'.

" The FAA has consistently defined commercial operation in terms of whether the operator receives direct or indirect payment for the operation. It is not necessary that the operation be conducted for profit or even that there be any intent or ability to make a profit. The compensation is not just limited to monetary payments but includes anything of value. This broad definition of compensation has been affirmed and adopted by both the NTSB and the federal courts. Administrator v. Roundtree, 2 NTSB 1712 (1975); Administrator v. Mims, NTSB Order No. EA-3284, review denied 988 F.2d 1380; Consolidated Flower Shipments, Inc., Bay Area, 16 C.A.B. 804 (1953), aff'd. 213 F.2d 814 (2nd Cir. 1954)."

Since you work due the station, you could be construed in having an economic benefit from taking the video even if you provided it to the station for no additional compensation.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There are lots of threads here with that same question. Try a search and you may find some info to help you. At this point in time the answer is almost always 'no, you can not'.

" The FAA has consistently defined commercial operation in terms of whether the operator receives direct or indirect payment for the operation. It is not necessary that the operation be conducted for profit or even that there be any intent or ability to make a profit. The compensation is not just limited to monetary payments but includes anything of value. This broad definition of compensation has been affirmed and adopted by both the NTSB and the federal courts. Administrator v. Roundtree, 2 NTSB 1712 (1975); Administrator v. Mims, NTSB Order No. EA-3284, review denied 988 F.2d 1380; Consolidated Flower Shipments, Inc., Bay Area, 16 C.A.B. 804 (1953), aff'd. 213 F.2d 814 (2nd Cir. 1954)."

Thanks for your help. I have searched for this topic here before with no luck...my search skills must be lacking : )

I figured this would be the case...it does seem a bit much for educational institutions to be held to the same rules as people and companies flying only for profit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl