Flying Etiquette when you're not the first drone at the point of interest

First come, first serve. Talk to the other operator to see how long they might be up and if it's a special/critical time arrange staying out of each other's space, but first there has the say.....IMHO.

Reactions: dgd3
I'd usually like other drones around because they bring life to the air around. This is not my video but I like it:

IMO, proper etiquette would also include staying out of other people's shots who were up before you were.

I could not agree more… I have been a photographer for 45 years, and that is an unspoken rule amongst us. It would be unthinkable if someone was composing a shot, for another photographer to walk in front of them so that they were in the original shooter's field of view. The same should go for these flying camera platforms!

Reactions: dgd3
IMO, proper etiquette would also include staying out of other people's shots who were up before you were.
Sounds like the time is now for a bright person to prototype a mini portable attachment to iOS & Android devices that give an overview of drone trafic by passively recieving GPS and barometer transmissions that each drone is sending to its pilot. Put it on Kickstarter.

First come, first serve. Talk to the other operator to see how long they might be up and if it's a special/critical time arrange staying out of each other's space, but first there has the say.....IMHO.
+1 Same ediquette we fly fishermen observe. Don't crowd the other guy, be gentlemen (or ladies).

I was flying with a friend at same location at 10200ft altitude in the mountains. In first video at beginning of vid you can see him on right as a speck up in the distance and also at end of video. In the second video we he did a pass at speed. We were in full communication and at different heights. Third video was a sunrise we did together. Always fun.

Nice video ... but if in US airspace, not even a spectacular video capture justifies going above 400' ... PERIOD!

In my experience, when there has been more than one drone (often at lighthouses) we agreed to fly sequencially. It was at a time of day when plus or minus 25 minutes would not have made a difference.

Had it been at a sunrise or sunset, agreeing to fly at difference altitudes would have been a good start. Then more specific flight plans would be desired so that captured video is assured to be free of other drones. If that would not be possible (due to complexity of flight pattern or attitude of other pilot) it would be time to think about coming back at a later time or day.

Well the good thing is that I am not flying in aircraft flight paths. I fly where passenger aircraft are forbidden to get anywhere near of. Like 50 miles either side of the range I live in. :) Also just to clear the clouds needed 1200ft. This is in a wilderness area in Yushan National Park where I fly. The flying I do is legal where I live and I don't need to be told what the rules are in the USA or other countries. If I was flying mt drone in the USA I would abide by US rules. The day I took that video I was with a friend and yes we flew in different directions and at different heights. All the time talking with each other as to where we were flying.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart