Flying/Charging in France?

Reaction score
Hello, I am planning on taking my P3A to France in a few days however last year I did the same with my phantom 1 and had a few issues. The main problem I had was charging the drone. I had both batteries for about 3/4 of a year by then and when I went to charge them in a French socket the charger flashed red and green and they both died. They functioned one last time after charging and then stopped working, I tried different chargers but this didn't work as the voltage was completely gone in both. I later realised it could have been that I plugged the cable in the wrong way but I can't be sure. Anyway I was just wandering if anyone could suggest an explanation as to why this may have happened or if anyone has charged the P3 successfully in France because obviously the batteries for this drone are much more expensive. Thank you in advance for any replies!

Hello, I am planning on taking my P3A to France in a few days however last year I did the same with my phantom 1 and had a few issues. The main problem I had was charging the drone. I had both batteries for about 3/4 of a year by then and when I went to charge them in a French socket the charger flashed red and green and they both died. They functioned one last time after charging and then stopped working, I tried different chargers but this didn't work as the voltage was completely gone in both. I later realised it could have been that I plugged the cable in the wrong way but I can't be sure. Anyway I was just wandering if anyone could suggest an explanation as to why this may have happened or if anyone has charged the P3 successfully in France because obviously the batteries for this drone are much more expensive. Thank you in advance for any replies!

if your in the UK then get this.....13A UK Mains 240V Power Socket Safe Plug Tester - Safety Polarity/Earth Checker
you will still need a 2 pin adapter to fit the french sockets but this is what I use every time I use continental sockets as you never know which way round to plug in

Reactions: Ollie613
well as I travel in a motor home there are some things that don't like to be plugged in the wrong way,in the motorhome manual it says to check the polarity before plugging in.
there are some things that have diodes fitted and they don't like the polarity the other way according to an electrician I've just spoken to
I know I've blown things in the past so not worth taking chances with expensive equipment.

I'm currently in Italy and for the most part the plugs are the same here as they are in in France. I have a simple $2 plastic adapter and I've had no problems, the charger for the batteries is built to take 220v so you don't need to worry about a transformer. As for plugging these in the right and wrong way, it shouldn't matter.

I'm currently in Italy and for the most part the plugs are the same here as they are in in France. I have a simple $2 plastic adapter and I've had no problems, the charger for the batteries is built to take 220v so you don't need to worry about a transformer. As for plugging these in the right and wrong way, it shouldn't matter.

Thank you that really helps!

In mainland Europe there is no need to worry which way things are plugged in.
In UK as teccer mentions above some appliances do not like it when reversed as sometimes the Neutral is tied to earth, hence the need for a polarity checker to make sure the case does not go live.

These days most items are double insulated and do not need an earth, like the DJI charger.

It is a peculiar British thing from times gone by.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl