Flying at Night

If you don't mind I am curious as to what your avatar is or means. Is it Arabic? Mine is obviously an old man with a out of control drone. I fly at night using dual 1500 lumes. It looks like a full size aircraft in the sky. I also have bright strobes. I hope the night flying remains an option. It is not a safety issue to anyone.

If you don't mind I am curious as to what your avatar is or means. Is it Arabic? Mine is obviously an old man with a out of control drone. I fly at night using dual 1500 lumes. It looks like a full size aircraft in the sky. I also have bright strobes. I hope the night flying remains an option. It is not a safety issue to anyone.

If you look closely you’ll see ‘rw’.

I mean no disrespect here to the lp but it seems you have not correctly read any of the threads in regards to the issues that you have mentioned if you cannot understand the answers to the questions you have already asked you may not need to be flying a drone just my opinion however we are glad to help you understand the laws and rules in the US and first and foremost you will not be able to fly over 400 feet above ground level. There are some exceptions which do allow you to fly over this 400-foot limit and they have been properly and thoroughly discussed these do not require waivers.

Its simple and does not need quotes of laws etc.

A recreational hobby flyer can fly when he wants within the bounds of byelaws, his club guidelines or local restrictions of the site / location used.

A Commercial flyer must abide by the rules of his licencing when flying for commercial purposes.

Nigel

Hobbyists can fly at night. Period.
There are requirements for proper on-board Illumination however.

Exacta-mundo. I fly my P3P all the time at night. Just need to take proper precautions like scope out the area in the daytime so you know where all the cell towers, radio towers, and power lines are. Good ole common sense.

There are no requirements for onboard illumination for rec flying. Not sure how you came up with that.

I think he’s connecting VLOS with illumination. At night your VLOS is dramatically reduced, hence adding more illumination. My guess

Not connecting anything....

AMA safety code.

Reactions: ravedog
I think he’s connecting VLOS with illumination. At night your VLOS is dramatically reduced, hence adding more illumination. My guess

Well I routinely fly out a mile or more so VLOS is already out of the question so illumination would also be out of the question.

Illumination only makes sense if it's to identify the drone to plane and heli pilots --- but they arent supposed to be flying under 400 ft. anyway so I dont see how illumination really helps them?

Well I routinely fly out a mile or more so VLOS is already out of the question so illumination would also be out of the question.

Illumination only makes sense if it's to identify the drone to plane and heli pilots --- but they arent supposed to be flying under 400 ft. anyway so I dont see how illumination really helps them?

Some of the strobes mentioned on these forums can be seen a mile out. And as far as having them for the courtesy of real aircraft, it’s not for them, although a beneficial side effect. As far as being under 400’? You haven’t lived in a metro area with helicopters.

And as far as having them for the courtesy of real aircraft, it’s not for them, although a beneficial side effect.

It's ABSOLUTELY for them (aka manned aircraft). This is why the FAA mandates (currently this doesn't "yet" apply to hobby operations but hopefully it will soon) a 3 mile visibility rating on our Part 107 sUAS lights. They are called "Collision Avoidance Lights" to help keep other aircraft from hitting them not to improve your visibility.

As far as being under 400’? You haven’t lived in a metro area with helicopters.
VERY true!

Also @Karlos-Kydd in the US it's very common (and legal in many instances) for a manned aircraft to be below 400' AGL. Check out the FARs min altitudes and you'll see it spelled out very clearly in there.

Reactions: ravedog
I was at 250 ft. when a helicopter swerved to avoid my drone. Can't believe he saw it. Couldn't believe he was that low. I took evasive action also. News helicopters and others often fly below 400ft. I checked the flight radar and discovered a military helicopter flying very low and they were not on the map because they do not have the same transponder as other aircraft. Their position is guarded as far as the flight radar map goes. It is very common around here and you have to be alert at all times. I am not in a restricted air space. There is an airport about 15 miles away from here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nwbailey