Fly small inexpensive quad-copters.....first?

Reaction score
I've read quite a few threads/posts about folks/neophytes crashing their new/used DJI and/or higher end copters. I just think (at least for me) it makes sense if possible, to fly and practice with an inexpensive smaller quad copters before going to more sophisticated copter models?

Did you start with an inexpensive copter or headed straight to say a higher end copter?

Last edited:
Although some will recommend it, no cheap trainer drone will be as easy to fly as the Phantom.
If you just make sure you do your learning flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles, you'd be better off saving your money and using the time to learn how the Phantom works and how to fly it.

Although some will recommend it, no cheap trainer drone will be as easy to fly as the Phantom.
If you just make sure you do your learning flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles, you'd be better off saving your money and using the time to learn how the Phantom works and how to fly it.
Agree with this, and add take your time, and take time to build on what you know. There's a lot going on when you are flying, and I am always learning something new.

Roger that Meta. I've practiced with this Syma below and even a smaller one and it's sure not easy to fly. I had to really build my skill level to not hit everything around me. :D

Syma-X8C.jpg

I started with a lesser quad (Syma X8HC), but just because it worked out that way. While a few crashes with it may have gotten me over some early jitters, I fully agree with the other comments that there is reall no reason not to start with something like a Phantom. Take the time to read the manual not only for the bird but for any apps too, watch a few videos and read some of the many posts here responding to other noobies calls for help and advice. Look at recommendations for critical settings like RTH and start slowly in a wide open space. My 8 year old grandson can fly my phantom, sometimes better than me! If you have flown your Syma and can keep it fairly steady and moving where you want it to go, you're already better than the majority of new phantom flyers

I agree with Meta4. You'll be better off by starting with your Phantom in a wide open location with no obstacles. And, fly in Beginner Mode if you're worried about it getting away from you. That will limit the max distance to 30 meters around the takeoff point.

I'm sure I'm in the minority, I bought a P4 first, then a Syma X5C-1 to play with indoors. Everyplace I read it said that definitely the X5C was a great cheap drone, and the -1 was the easiest to fly in that model line.

I flew a Blade Nano QX for two years before getting the Phantom. Still enjoy flying the nano in the garage when too cold to be out with the Phantom.

I flew a couple of toy drones before getting my Phantom and it's a different set of skills. The Syma type of drones are fun to fly, but they are twitchy flying devices with cameras. Phantoms are cameras that can fly. As others have said, get the Phantom you want and take it to an open field and get used to it in Beginner Mode.

Reactions: WillZX14R
For me personally, I started with some small ones before I got my first Phantom. Whether it was needed, I don't know, but it built my confidence for sure.

During one of my early Phantom flights, I suddenly lost GPS lock and the bird went into ATTI mode. There was a little wind, and the bird started floating away. I was able to react to it, and land without incident.

For me, since I had flown the smaller quads, that didn't have GPS, it wasn't a big deal, even though it surprised me when it happened.

Whether I would have had the same outcome without the prior experience is unknown, but I think it helped.

The question I ask people is would they rather crash a $30-60 drone, or a $500-1000 one, while they learn? Sure, it's unlikely you'll crash the Phantom, but it's not unheard of...even from pilots with some experience.

As always, YMMV.

I went straight into a P4, they are easy to fly. Just read a lot before hand and take it easy. I have flow a cheap drone since I bought my P4, it's like knowing how to drive a car and then getting and then getting on a motorcycle for the first time, two different animals.

This is exactly why I believe you should get a small cheap one to practice with. When you get reasonably good at it the Phantom will seem to practically fly itself and you won't understand all the fuss about going into ATTI mode.

Kind of like learning to drive on a stick shift, once you can do that you can drive anything. Learn on an automatic and you are really limiting yourself.

This is exactly why I believe you should get a small cheap one to practice with. When you get reasonably good at it the Phantom will seem to practically fly itself and you won't understand all the fuss about going into ATTI mode.

Kind of like learning to drive on a stick shift, once you can do that you can drive anything. Learn on an automatic and you are really limiting yourself.

I agree ...
Everyone says "learn in ATTI" - to me, a little indestructible drone for $50 flys like that , and I didn't smack up my phantom, esp indoors.

I agree ...
Everyone says "learn in ATTI" - to me, a little indestructible drone for $50 flys like that , and I didn't smack up my phantom, esp indoors.
I fly atti for a few minutes most flights to get the hang of it, the cheap drone I flew was totally different than flying my P4 atti mode. At least it seems that way to me.

I agree ...
An absolutely valid perspective.

Another way that some of us look at it is to try and incrementally work up to ATTI type flying, and avoid crashes altogether. Start with P/beginner mode flying in an open field, just getting the feel for how the controls work, learning to properly control the AC when its flying toward you, taking off and landing safely and gently, etc.

All of these "motor memory" skiils are the fundamental basics you need regardless, and its much easier to learn them when you aren't having to deal with constantly crashing.

Hard to keep from crashing when you push left aileron and you need right but the AC was oriented toward you. In fact, this causes lots of crashes.

...The question I ask people is would they rather crash a $30-60 drone, or a $500-1000 one, while they learn? Sure, it's unlikely you'll crash the Phantom, but it's not unheard of...even from pilots with some experience.

As always, YMMV.
Unless you hit something hard while moving fast, crashing a $60 drone usually a non-event. While trying a fly indoor drone outside, I've dropped it like a rock to avoid hitting my house. When the camera is fixed and in the body of the drone, it can take a lot of abuse.

What you will get from flying a non stabilized drone is faster reaction time for making control adjustments. Trying to hover a toy drone is a skill to learn. Trying to hover a Phantom means centering the sticks and letting go.

What you will get from flying a non stabilized drone is faster reaction time for making control adjustments. Trying to hover a toy drone is a skill to learn. Trying to hover a Phantom means centering the sticks and letting go.
All true. I simply think getting one's orientation skills first without having to worry about positioning and crashing, and then learning how to maintain position is easier on both the pilot, and the wallet.

The question I ask people is would they rather crash a $30-60 drone, or a $500-1000 one, while they learn? Sure, it's unlikely you'll crash the Phantom, but it's not unheard of...even from pilots with some experience.

Exactly my point; makes total sense.

Last edited:

Agree; when I first started to build my flying skills, it was a tremendous challenge trying to rotate, using H-mode and hovering while not running into things. Thank goodness it can take a beating without breaking the bank.

I'm certain nobodies will find this interesting if one wants to really build their skill level. Even though, yeah it's true the Phantoms are easy to fly but those who are learning and want to build their skills, would want to practice with a copter that doesn't costs in the $$$$$$.

Agree; when I first started to build my flying skills, it was a tremendous challenge trying to rotate, using H-mode and hovering while not running into things.
How does that relate to flying a P4? Have you had to do that with one?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl