Fly Away following firmware update

Reaction score
Hi All - I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with a fly away following a firmware update. I had message via Facebook saying there was a firmware update for the DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus. I used assistant software and also uninstalled the Android App and installed the latest version. I took the DJI out the very next day and went through the usual process of controller on > WIFI on > power up DJI > compass calibration > wait for a good GPS lock (8 satellites if I remember right) > apply power and allow to hover to make sure I had GPS lock ..... I flew the drone around 150 yards away and got a message on the Android - Lost control followed by coming home ........ at this point, instead of flying back to take off, it continued on the track which it had flown out on and flew further away. I used 'Find my Phantom' on the app and located the position but after searching the whole area for around 14 or 15 hours, it cannot be found on the cliff top where the software said it should be !! - Its marked position was only around 30 meters from the sea and I wonder if it has 'gone for a swim' !!! - I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue as I have completed a fly away form for DJI and waiting for their comments and I would be interested in knowing anyone else having the problem - Thanks - Chris

I dont really see anything in your report that would attribute it to the firmware update. It is widely accepted as being a stable release. I did notice 2 posts, here or might have rcgroups, that seemed to point to loss of control while flying between directional cell tower signals. In one case it was proved that it was only when crossing the 'beam' that control was lost. Just another thing to build into a flight risk assessment. I presume its those dish shaped antennas you see sometimes on these towers.

Sounds like the firmware update was purely coincidental.
The update has been out a few weeks now.
If it was causing problems like that, we'd have heard lots.

I asked because I was talking to someone who said they had the same issue due to incompatibility between the controller and drone following the 3.06 update, if the controller had not been updated too

That doesn't sound right at all. I don't know about your source but there are lots of incorrect and ill-informed opinions out there and not everything you read or hear is right.
I haven't updated my controller (and I haven't heard of anyone doing it either) but have updated the Phantom and flown with no problems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl