Floats for PH-3 and PH-4

Reaction score
Good afternoon.
For several months, I've been thinking about how to safely fly over the sea, I have been looking for some system of floats for Phantom 3 and I have not found anything, so I decided to make a flotation system to splash down and recover In case of an accident.
I leave a video link of the successfully performed tests done this weekend on Tamariu (Spain)
I hope you enjoy the video

I shared your awesome video on the other forum...
Flying over water

Thanks for sharing it... Loved the music as well. Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Araw
The WaterStrider has the front floats spaced wider than the rear, probably to minimize them getting in the FOV.
That probably does odd things to the balance and stability that would have to be worked out...
2016-06-26_17-21-27.jpg

Paint them green? Hahaha

RedHotPoker

BE CAREFUL
I flew my drone too close to the water due to low batteries and the prop wash blew a little salt water into a gimble motor. $250 repair bill.

if your case is to land on water it is ok. BUT in case of a failure the drone will be submerged because it will tip over. Yes you will be able to retrieve drove because it will float even tipped over but this can be done also with a getter GetterBack Recovery System

I agree with your comment, but the problem is that if sink to more than 10 meters. with GetterBack System Recovery you can not recover it.
Another system I've been watching is the whater buoy
but more than 3 meters deep is useless.
Thanks for your comment

Reactions: SirAchie
Good afternoon.
For several months, I've been thinking about how to safely fly over the sea, I have been looking for some system of floats for Phantom 3 and I have not found anything, so I decided to make a flotation system to splash down and recover In case of an accident.
I leave a video link of the successfully performed tests done this weekend on Tamariu (Spain)
I hope you enjoy the video
Great idea, simple and probably easy enough to manufacture. I like the wide footprint providing good stability on shaky waters and keeping the floats away from down thrust. It seems not sturdy enough to withstand catastrophic fall (if that matters at all :D). You may employ some strong (25lb ?) fishing lines to hold floats attached to the aircraft frame and keep the wreck recoverable for warranty claim. It makes sense only if the bird dies above water due to the malfunctioning. Can you get at least 15 minutes flying time on a good day with moderate wind? And yes, the camera is low indeed ... Beautiful bay, however, you lucky ( Expletive Removed) :D...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. You drop the bird in the water. Now what? You gonna bring your boat along?

Don't worry. Be happy. Charge your battery, be conservative and keep flying.

It was planned anyway thanks for the advice
Yep, something like that, maybe a little bit more elegant :D. Since (I believe) there's still some room for improvements, let me share my experience with the issue. Of course your device does what it was designed for, allowing for take off and landing on relatively calm water surface at the obvious expense of somehow handicapped aircraft. The range and agility must be taxed significantly: I assume 7-10 minutes less of average flying time on fully charged battery. Nobody sane enough expects anything better than that. If your floats withstand somehow rough emergency landing in case of power shortage, than the goal is achieved.
I went a bit further with the concept, building wider and sturdier structure to provide stable floating on rough waters, create better clearance for the camera and minimize the negative force of downward thrusting props. Floats are secured to a frame with steel linkage, providing sure buoyancy in case of catastrophic malfunction and crash landing.

Matrice 100_pond scater_2L bottle.jpg

Here's the Matrice 100 with floating attachment. The concept was employed successfully for Phantom and Inspire drones as well, although the complexity of design renders no commercial value whatsoever. It's strictly a hobby project, that's all. The device was developed for one and only reason: to control UAV's from the boat full time, 24/7, during long summer expeditions. Take off and landing on the boat deck is risky and difficult, hand catching equally challenging due to somehow limited ability of myself ... If not these factors, I'll never consider such modifications to be all the efforts worthy. Works for me charmingly ...

Last edited:
I agree with your comment, but the problem is that if sink to more than 10 meters. with GetterBack System Recovery you can not recover it.
Hate to disagree with you but they are good for 3 times that . I've used them for awhile on rods and they work .
I have one on all my birds .

Reactions: J Dot
Yep, something like that, maybe a little bit more elegant :D. Since (I believe) there's still some room for improvements, let me share my experience with the issue. Of course your device does what it was designed for, allowing for take off and landing on relatively calm water surface at the obvious expense of somehow handicapped aircraft. The range and agility must be taxed significantly: I assume 7-10 minutes less of average flying time on fully charged battery. Nobody sane enough expects anything better than that. If your floats withstand somehow rough emergency landing in case of power shortage, than the goal is achieved.
I went a bit further with the concept, building wider and sturdier structure to provide stable floating on rough waters, create better clearance for the camera and minimize the negative force of downward thrusting props. Floats are secured to a frame with steel linkage, providing sure buoyancy in case of catastrophic malfunction and crash landing.

View attachment 58418

Here's the Matrice 100 with floating attachment. The concept was employed successfully for Phantom and Inspire drones as well, although the complexity of design renders no commercial value whatsoever. It's strictly a hobby project, that's all. The device was developed for one and only reason: to control UAV's from the boat full time, 24/7, during long summer expeditions. Take off and landing on the boat deck is risky and difficult, hand catching equally challenging due to somehow limited ability of myself ... If not these factors, I'll never consider such modifications to be all the efforts worthy. Works for me charmingly ...

Interesting. I still think hand catching is easier...... The other day I launched off of an 8 foot inflatable that was floating next to a sailboat. We couldn't find enough clear space on the deck due to equipment and cables. Hand caught it from the inflatable.

The trick to hand catching is practice. I do it all of the time and work on having the P3 come to me instead of even walking one or two feet to grab the leg. After six months or so I'm pretty comfortable bringing it down unless there are significant swells. Then I just don't fly.

Interesting. I still think hand catching is easier...... The other day I launched off of an 8 foot inflatable that was floating next to a sailboat. We couldn't find enough clear space on the deck due to equipment and cables. Hand caught it from the inflatable.

The trick to hand catching is practice. I do it all of the time and work on having the P3 come to me instead of even walking one or two feet to grab the leg. After six months or so I'm pretty comfortable bringing it down unless there are significant swells. Then I just don't fly.
Funny, I was considering cheap inflatable dinghy with plywood top as a launching/landing pad of sort, but it was just too easy (I love challenges) :D.

As for hand launching/catching ... yes, I totally agree. 10 years ago I'll not bother with all my mods, but at the age of 70 such trickery is just too challenging, certainly with Inspire class drones :( ...

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl