Flight Log Question

Reaction score
Hi. First post, I'm new to the forum.
I've been posting on the DJI forum and there are a bunch of nice helpful people there, but I wanted to become a member here too. :)

Quick history, I've got a Phantom 3 Standard - Bought new direct from DJI when they had the $400 sale before Christmas. Also bought an extra batttery for $101 on sale too.

I haven't had any of the RTH issues that seem to be flooding the DJI forums lately, I use my IPhone 6S with the DJI Go app.

My question is; I know how to download the txt log file, but is there any use to me downloading and opening the DAT file that is resident in the aircraft memory? I have downloaded the DAT file to my computer, but don't know how to open it. Is there any value in this file for me understanding what might have happened during a flight?

Here's the short detail.
I've flown about 20 times since new last month.
Yesterday, I flew out over a lake, hit about 4,000 feet distance at 300 ft altitude. Obviously, I could not see the AC anymore. The phone video screen went completely black and the app displayed 'disconnected' in red. As I remember, the only display I had was the telemetry, distance and altitude. I could have flown back with just this, (maybe), but instead, I had read that if you shut down the app and then turn it back on, you regain the video screen. I did that, and when I turned it back on, I had absolutely nothing on the screen. Nothing at all, as if I had turned on the app without the controller or the AC turned on.
After 9 minutes of gut wrenching waiting, sure enough, here came the AC, Returning to home on it's own. Whew!
So, I opened the text file to see the map photo and the lines of telemetry, but the file is short, and it stops at the distant point where the AC disconnected.
All strange to me, probably makes a lot of sense to you!
Any ideas?
I flew twice more after that yesterday, in a few miles away in a different locatino and everything worked fine.

Thanks,
Wayne

Hi. First post, I'm new to the forum.
I've been posting on the DJI forum and there are a bunch of nice helpful people there, but I wanted to become a member here too. :)

Quick history, I've got a Phantom 3 Standard - Bought new direct from DJI when they had the $400 sale before Christmas. Also bought an extra batttery for $101 on sale too.

I haven't had any of the RTH issues that seem to be flooding the DJI forums lately, I use my IPhone 6S with the DJI Go app.

My question is; I know how to download the txt log file, but is there any use to me downloading and opening the DAT file that is resident in the aircraft memory? I have downloaded the DAT file to my computer, but don't know how to open it. Is there any value in this file for me understanding what might have happened during a flight?

Here's the short detail.
I've flown about 20 times since new last month.
Yesterday, I flew out over a lake, hit about 4,000 feet distance at 300 ft altitude. Obviously, I could not see the AC anymore. The phone video screen went completely black and the app displayed 'disconnected' in red. As I remember, the only display I had was the telemetry, distance and altitude. I could have flown back with just this, (maybe), but instead, I had read that if you shut down the app and then turn it back on, you regain the video screen. I did that, and when I turned it back on, I had absolutely nothing on the screen. Nothing at all, as if I had turned on the app without the controller or the AC turned on.
After 9 minutes of gut wrenching waiting, sure enough, here came the AC, Returning to home on it's own. Whew!
So, I opened the text file to see the map photo and the lines of telemetry, but the file is short, and it stops at the distant point where the AC disconnected.
All strange to me, probably makes a lot of sense to you!
Any ideas?
I flew twice more after that yesterday, in a few miles away in a different locatino and everything worked fine.

Thanks,
Wayne
You could try CsvView to look at the .DAT which will have data for the entire flight. Not sure what you're looking for. From your description there was nothing unusual about the flight. There was an RC disconnect because the RC was turned off and the P3 responded by initiating an RTH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing