Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Flashing red led's mid-flight

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by tonym206, Feb 10, 2014.

1. tonym206

Ive been out flying this weekend for the first time since replacing a motor that went out midflight. I put a red sticker on one of my batteries and blue on the other. Ive been noticing that every time I run with the red battery, the P2 randomly starts flashing red lights during the flight, then back to green. This starts right away after taking off, so its not a low battery indicator. Nothing about the flight seems to go bad, but I get nervous about flying it as high or as far out as I would like.

Anyone have an idea of what that might mean?

2. Tahoe Ed

Red lights from the arm leds can indicate that you have lost satellites. When they go back to green you have required the satellites. Are you flying in a high EMI/RF environment?

3. Buster2

I saw a post that pointed out the battery contact might interfere with the performance of the battery, namely the low battery warning. I don't remember exactly where I saw the post but it said to check the contacts!

4. tonym206

I thought that was supposed to be yellow? I flew in two seperate areas with the same thing happening, and no reason to think there would be any interference from either.

I also though I read something about the batteries in the P2/P2V before I bought mine, but wasnt able to find that again with a few quick searches. As far as I can tell the contacts look ok, but I really dont know what to look for.

5. Buster2

I had a similar event (over water) as I was filming the Midway. I noticed my P2V start to descend (uncommanded) and I looked at the battery indicator and it said I was low (and I wasn't). The lights were flashing red and I immediately returned to home and landed. Scary for sure. I guess that is a good reason to monitor the flight the whole time in case of a glitch.

I researched it and some info I read said something about battery connections not making good contact and causing the battery to give a false low battery warning.[​IMG]

6. tonym206

That picture right there is frikkin awesome! Now you have me thinking about taking my P2 over to Bremerton to get some shots of the KittyHawk. I wonder how the navy would feel about that? Maybe if I kept it outside the gate and just got some views from above they wont arrest me lol

7. Buster2

Thanks Tony, Lucky for me the Midway has easy access, but I guess technically its on Navy property even though it's an inactive ship and a museum. However, the two other carriers to the left of the bow are active and the sentries probably wouldnt hesitate to shoot it down.

I was filming in Palmdale at the Heritage Airpark one day. They are only open weekends and I was there on a Monday. [​IMG] After my 1st battery, some security from the local active airfield (Skunkworks) came over and ask me what I was doing. They were concerned that I was taking pictures of the active runway. I told them I was bored of houses. They 1st asked me to delete everything then said OK, but no more..... Check out my short video.

http://youtu.be/hIyG4T8qUzQ