First weekend with my P4P

Reaction score
This was my first weekend with my P4P and I had a blast. I got my feet wet with drones 3-5 months ago with a U818A and then, shortly after, a generic X5C. I'm attaching my link to the edited footage. Many short clips. As I get better, I'd like to be able to shoot some longer quality shots.

Well filmed but is it me or is it 'stuttery' i.e does not flow smooothly. Have you removed ALL of the packing bits? Not criticism hones, more concern. :)
Youtube can lag sometimes too. I was showing it to a co worker yesterday and it looked like stop motion on her computer (skipping over many frames and jerking), but then another guy's pc streamed it more smoothly. Also, I edited it through Microsoft Movie Maker, which downgraded it a bit. I have not been able to find a free/lowcost video editor that can hold a match to iMovie's (that comes free on my iPhone) functionality. Thanks for watching :)

Try the Cyberlink website. You may like it, or hate it. ;)

Will try playback on Youtube at a lower resolution. Glad its not your P4P
Well, I didn't think the raw footage was jumpy or twitchy. Your eyes and experience may be more discerning than mine, though. I took off all the shrink rap, the stickers on the sensors, plastic on the props (not sure why they were necessary lol), and the foam gimble holder.

As I said I was not knocking your efforts. When I first had my P3P I had constant problems with 'Jello' looked like it was skipping frames etc. Could not work out what it was. So one morning I sat on the sofa, cup of tea in hand, and slowly looked over the entire drone. There behind the gimble was a piece of foam that must have broken off the gimble restraint when I removed it. I pried out the foam and no more problems.

You are probably right though. It could be my internet. Enjoy your flying. :D

Reactions: JxBx80
Great location and flying man! Your stuttering is totally the software your using imo. Some of your clips are smoother than others but your getting some stutter in rendering I believe. Also what shutter speed and combined frame rate were you shooting at? This may some of your issue too.

Great location and flying man! Your stuttering is totally the software your using imo. Some of your clips are smoother than others but your getting some stutter in rendering I believe. Also what shutter speed and combined frame rate were you shooting at? This may some of your issue too.
Hi KevMo,
I am not really sure what my shutter speed was. I have never been a "camera" guy, but I have a feeling I will be learning a lot, now. That said, all the camera settings are a bit overwhelming. Slow shutter speed can blur stuff like flowing water, right? Fast shutter speed captures precise moments in time? I do believe I was shooting in 4K/60 (I think it defaults to 4K/30 out of the box) however I do know that I was using Litchi for half and DJI Go for the other half (i'm not sure if default settings for one or the other would have changed my frame rate if I didn't make the adjustment). Also, Microsoft Movie Maker will only output 1080. I should start taking my SD card out, plugging into my 4k TV, and preview the original footage before editing so I can see how much gets lost in translation.
Question: What do you think of Premier Pro CC? What do you use?

It cant do 4k@60fps with h.265 codec, just 30fps. If you want 60 fps with 4k you need to switch to h.264. However, 1080@120 is a beast too, try it

It cant do 4k@60fps with h.265 codec, just 30fps. If you want 60 fps with 4k you need to switch to h.264. However, 1080@120 is a beast too, try it
I just had to google h.265 LOL. Still a little lost. Are you saying that Premier Pro CC cannot handle h.265?

I'll try recording in 1080@120 too

No, Phantom itself can't handle h.265 + 4k@60FPS, in case you want 4k@60FPS you need to make sure your DJI GO 4 app has a h.264 codec in video settings

Hi KevMo,
I am not really sure what my shutter speed was. I have never been a "camera" guy, but I have a feeling I will be learning a lot, now. That said, all the camera settings are a bit overwhelming. Slow shutter speed can blur stuff like flowing water, right? Fast shutter speed captures precise moments in time? I do believe I was shooting in 4K/60 (I think it defaults to 4K/30 out of the box) however I do know that I was using Litchi for half and DJI Go for the other half (i'm not sure if default settings for one or the other would have changed my frame rate if I didn't make the adjustment). Also, Microsoft Movie Maker will only output 1080. I should start taking my SD card out, plugging into my 4k TV, and preview the original footage before editing so I can see how much gets lost in translation.
Question: What do you think of Premier Pro CC? What do you use?
First off, Premier Pro CC is prob the best software going most likely! It is expensive each month but if you can justify it do it. I have been using it for 4 months now. It is a steep learning curve at first just getting your workflow set up. But Youtube is your biggest friend on this. So many good startup tutorials on Premier Pro for sure. And your tech talk on shutter speeds is pretty much correct when referring to still pics. But video is another ball of wax man. If I were you I would start shooting in 4K @ 30fps in h264 container format. Then try to get your shutter speed to double your frame rate. Which is 1/60 of a second if your at 30fps. This formula gives you a cinematic looking blur to your video that looks smooth. You'll will need some ND filters to get this exposure if you want to set your aperture around F5.6 which is the sweetest area for your aperture on this camera too. Now, If you have a fast computer and video card and plenty of video card ram it will play these files nicely on your computer straight out of camera. Now, Premier Pro still stutters a little bit with the 4K footage even if you have a super computer. So some people convert these video files to a diff format such as prores format ect. I'm not too familiar with this yet, but it's basically converting to a more compressed format so that your computer will play it smoother in Premier Pro while your trying to edit your footage before rendering final video piece. If you want free or cheaper software you might look at Davinci Resolve possibly. I've heard it's really good and they have a free version too. Video is a very complex cookie as I have found out and I'm sure others flying these 4K cameras have as well. YOUTUBE is your friend trust me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TightLines
I tried to record at 1080/120fps and it turns out my computer and smart TV cannot handle playing it. I tried editing through filmora and it was moving so slowwww that I couldn't do any editing. That's when I tried plugging the SD right into my 2016 Samsung TV and it was jumping from random frame to random frame :( This was not a problem when I selected the 4k, previously. I'm guessing because the frame rate was so much lower.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Was still a challenge to edit with Filmora (probably more my computer's limitations) but I really wanted the output to be 4K. My video below:

Reactions: KevMo Photog
That came out nice. What are your video settings? I'm a newb and just got my P4P yesterday. Still setting things up. Haven't flown yet.

That came out nice. What are your video settings? I'm a newb and just got my P4P yesterday. Still setting things up. Haven't flown yet.
I tried 1080p at 120 fps so that I could use basic editing programs (like Windows Movie Maker) but when I got home, my computer actually couldn't handle the data. Even when I plugged my chip into my 4k Samsung TV it was not handling the data well. I went back and set it to record at 4k at 50 or 40-something frames per second (whichever was the highest option at the time). I also used an ND8 filter to get the greens to pop more. All my light and color settings were set to "auto".

Was still a challenge to edit with Filmora (probably more my computer's limitations) but I really wanted the output to be 4K. My video below:
Super nice camera and flying moves JxBx80! Looks great! I might add that you should try calibrating your gimble right before takeoff to help with your horizon line being straight from time to time. They def drift here and there but I found that if I calibrate it regularly it helps. Filmora does a decent job too. I used it for about 7-8 months or so. I'm guessing you'll be moving up to Premier or Davinci or Final Cut in the future though. Def a diff in rendering quality and cutting ease! But it cost 29 bucks a month too. Ugh!

Reactions: JxBx80

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl