First video !

Reaction score
Hi guys, so.. got my P3P about 10 days ago, today I had my first ever crack at video editing.. All useful advice appreciated ! Used Adobe Premiere Pro Cc2015.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looks good! Only comment would be the colors look a little washed out. You shooting in log color? If so, you have to adjust for that in the final cut.

Mike

I have set it to log, but my bloody ND filters haven't arrived yet so I'm still on standard lens.. Could that explain it? Have messed with colours a bit, was actually more washed out than it looks now, but I guess until I get a proper filter on (and some more grading practice!) This is what I'll get.. Maybe I should go back to auto until I get the filters?

I think the thing to remember about log color is that it's basically "raw" color. You have to apply color corrections (basically a color shaping matrix) in post for it to look good when played online. It basically amounts to applying a color profile to get it out of that "raw" color and into a color space acceptable for web view. I'm sorry to say, that's the end of my knowledge on the subject as I've never used it/done it but I do the same thing with still photography all the time. Just never done it in video so one of the video experts will chime in on how exactly to do it as I'm sure there's a specific recipe.

Mike

Not sure which video editing software you use. If you are using Lightroom and Adobe Photoshop, I find it is best to record with RAW video, and DNG formatted captures. Once you bring it into the program, the Levels, Curves, Vibrance and Saturation hues can all be tweaked to your desires. You can also use the Layer Masks to change certain things, and the possibilities are endless.

The bottom line is; what appeals to you in your final video, and how you like it. I find that when I use the Polar Pro filters, I don't use anything over a 16 filter just because it is how I like to shoot it. You can also set the camera to a preference like sunny or overcast, depending on what how much you want to process it. If you decide to get into video editing, I would also suggest something like "After Effects." Just some tidbits to ponder and if YOU like how the video looks when you are complete, that is all that matters.

Many editors would be well served to learn how to use their video scopes if they want top notch footage. The other thing is a color corrected monitor. I've spent a lot of time "grading" footage only to have it look like crap since you're basically flying blind without those two tools.

-- zigs

Useful stuff as always guys... I'm using Adobe premier pro..and I have figured a few things out in there like tracking masks and rotate and scale (to help align the pitch markings better in the video) etc.. What I am really lacking is the base knowledge about curves, levels, histograms and such things.. And how would I go about colour calibrating my monitor?

Useful stuff as always guys... I'm using Adobe premier pro..and I have figured a few things out in there like tracking masks and rotate and scale (to help align the pitch markings better in the video) etc.. What I am really lacking is the base knowledge about curves, levels, histograms and such things.. And how would I go about colour calibrating my monitor?

Each monitor is different, so I use the same one for videos/photos. But the best way and easiest way for me is:
> Open any photo as the RGB image
> Select all, then
> Image
> Adjustment
> Desaturate, and if it is more a Black and White tone, without any color at all, then I go with it. If you have color, then your color profile is off, and you will need to try and tweak the settings. There may be a better and more easy way to do this, but the only way I know how. Not sure if this helped at all.

Each monitor is different, so I use the same one for videos/photos. But the best way and easiest way for me is:
> Open any photo as the RGB image
> Select all, then
> Image
> Adjustment
> Desaturate, and if it is more a Black and White tone, without any color at all, then I go with it. If you have color, then your color profile is off, and you will need to try and tweak the settings. There may be a better and more easy way to do this, but the only way I know how. Not sure if this helped at all.

I forgot to add (sorry) in the previous reply. I sometimes find the histogram a little confusing at times. I know real camera professionals live by it, but I take photos and videos as I mentioned before in the other post. I try to adjust the hues/saturations just enough at first to make a tiny difference. Then I will utilize the levels and bring it up just a bit. From there, I will use the curves to heighten it all. Once I get it a little over colored, I will use the opacity slider and back it off. If I need more, I will increase the opacity. At that point, I will use a color mask and remove any blemishes, heighten a small part of the photo, and make it look the way I like and use a vignette if necessary.

Cheers Morgas, will look into those things.. so far mostly just adjusting brightness/contrast highlights/shadows, etc.. Will do more homework..

Assuming just about everyone that's serious about photography has Lightroom, select the auto exposure in the development module. While this isn't the end all it gives you a sense of where your monitor might be relative to a norm as far as brightness and luminance.

In video, using an RGB Waveform monitor and adjusting your image from 0% to 100% generally gets you an acceptable image. There's all kinds of tutes on the web. It takes a long time to get it right. But, it's all about the journey, right? :)

-- zigs

All for the journey Zigs, loving it... Never used photoshop before I did my company logo, never flown a drone (or radio controlled anything, even a car [emoji23])before 10 days ago, never taken a photo with any thought, never edited a vid and put it in YouTube.. Getting new firsts everyday and intend on keeping the trend [emoji106] will be doing plenty of homework on Lightroom ! And apparently spending ages setting my monitor up properly ! All fun :D

I am attaching two photos of a flag and mini Vietnam Wall in Nebraska. One is the jpeg of a DNG file and how drab it looks before post processing with an ND16 filter. The second is the finished product. Some of the saturations may be a little too bright for some, but this is close to how the colors seemed to me. The flag is 150' high and is 15' by 25' in size. Wind gusts were up to about 22mph that day. When all is said and done, if you are happy with it, and any tweaks you make, that is all that matters.

Flag 1 (Finished).jpg

Flag 1 (DNG).jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl