First Uncontrolled Movement

Reaction score
Was out for a quick flight this evening and my father-in-law stopped by and was chatting and I had the Phantom hovering approximately 15 feet off the ground in front of us and without any inputs it pitched forward on its own and started flying. I pulled it back and it hovered again, yawed a little and it pitched forward again. I immediately took it down and landed. I haven't looked into anything, hopefully a momentary glitch. Anyone else have this?

EDIT: I use an iPhone 6 plus with latest DJI Go App and all firmware is updated and I have latest version of iOS installed.

If all your flights are perfect, what's the point?
After all, its a DJI product. Enjoy it as long as you have it/lasts.

It could have just been compensating for some wind to hold position, that's just a hunch tho

Pitched forward and was not moving very fast before I got it to stop, just disconcerting to see it moving on it's own. I was in kind of a confined area so it could have caused a situation if I wasn't paying attention. It is a DJI product but it's also $2200 of my money that I would like to keep in tact as long as possible.

Reactions: Sky Architect
Pitched forward and was not moving very fast before I got it to stop, just disconcerting to see it moving on it's own. I was in kind of a confined area so it could have caused a situation if I wasn't paying attention. It is a DJI product but it's also $2200 of my money that I would like to keep in tact as long as possible.
Well let's hope vps is enabled and stops it from hitting your house lol.

Sorry, harsh... what I would do in this situation is to have the same setup, same battery, hook the drone into the laptop, and reinstall the firmware, then go through 100% of all calibrations, imu, GPS, vps, the 9 yards. Then take it outside about the same height and make it hover for at least 10 minutes to see if it's still present. If so... then dji should replace drone but make sure you have a friend to record it by video or something. Oh and also just for safekeeping delete and reinstall the dji go app, or at least make sure it's updated. That way you cover your own arse.

Hope it works out the kinks for you.

The IMU might have been compensating for wind that wasn't present... so software issue OR your controller has a loose stick... highly unlikely but check the alignment just incase. That way when/ if you present a case to dji... you have "exhausted" all options and determined that it could be a software issue. Tell them you hope that's not the case and hope the issue can be resolved as you have (many) dji products, loyal customer, have high hopes for resolving the issue... etc. You get the point. If you submit it be patient with them because being an *** to them only gets worse from what I've seen on this site. Kissing it maybe... but you'll get your drone back and be bumped up in front of the line of *** holes they don't care about. Feel free to exaggerate a little. I've done it with all companies and my issues are always resolved peacefully and hastily with high priority. Again, hope this helps.

I'll test again when I can after recalibrating things. I've chatted with DJI a few times and know you generally get what you give. I hope it was a temporary glitch.

I'll test again when I can after recalibrating things. I've chatted with DJI a few times and know you generally get what you give. I hope it was a temporary glitch.
You mentioned you were in a confined area, if you did not have or lost gps your bird would use VPS at that altitude, if the surface(floor) has no pattern for the camera to lock on it will drift in a breeze and even on it's own prop wash.

Thanks for that. It was confined in that I had obstructions all around but not confined enough to disrupt the GPS. I flew again this evening and let it hover in the same spot and flew around some and it did not reoccur. I also did some Follow Me and Active Track flying and everything performed as normal. I hope it was a glitch.

Was out for a quick flight this evening and my father-in-law stopped by and was chatting and I had the Phantom hovering approximately 15 feet off the ground in front of us and without any inputs it pitched forward on its own and started flying. I pulled it back and it hovered again, yawed a little and it pitched forward again. I immediately took it down and landed. I haven't looked into anything, hopefully a momentary glitch. Anyone else have this?

EDIT: I use an iPhone 6 plus with latest DJI Go App and all firmware is updated and I have latest version of iOS installed.
Did you or you father-in-law have a cell phone or other radio device on your person?

I had a WEIRD experience on my second flight. As I was bringing it down for a landing, it suddenly starting going up and down real fast, like a baby in one of those bouncey-thingies. I let off the controls and it just kept doing it non-stop. I initialized automatic landing and it landed safely like it should. That was the one and only time it did that.

I had one of those bluetooth contraptions around my neck, and there was a cell tower about 400 yards away, so I assumed it had something to do with crossed signals. Anyway, I never fly with my cell phone or bluetooth device anywhere nearby (anymore), and I haven't had any further trouble.

I've flown around 40' from a cell tower and with my Bluetooth headset on. Never had anything crazy like that happen before.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl