First time using DLOG... Results: awesome!

Reaction score
I have been using DJI Phantom from the "old" days of version 1.

This weekend I tried to improve the quality of my videos by using DLOG and the results are much better...

In Portugal the snow in the winter is not common so for me it was the first time to shoot landscapes with snow...

Tell me what do you think...

good vid! stupid question: what's dlog?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: onderion
Great Video and colors, could you explain how you did it? And a before editing, after editing compare video would be very nice.
dlog is a pretty common flat/neutral profile that's used when you want full creative control over the color grading part of the footage. I shoot all of my footage in dlog then use LUTS to quickly apply a starting point in post.

I recommend to anyone looking for color grading software to learn DaVinci Resolve, it's the gold standard in video post processing color grading and best of all its free. After color grading your clips you're ready to round trip them through your favorite video editing software for the final composition. Just make sure to use MOV to store the footage vs MP4 if you go the DaVinci route.

Thanks for the tip on DaVinci. It appears that the free version is also good for non-linear editing up to 1080P. I was about to drop some coin on Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro, but I'm going to give this a spin and see how well it works out.

Great video! Thanks for mentioning Davinci. Looks nice. Gonna try it on my next video.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Why is that?
DaVinci does not support the MP4 container so you would have to convert it to an MOV prior to importing to DaVinci. The conversion process could degrade the footage depending on what was used, so it's easier from a workflow perspective to just shoot in MOV then convert to MP4 during the final render.

Like the video, nicely graded, also use Resolve great software. LOG profile can be thought of as a digital negative that needs to be developed (Ref: Alistair Chatman).
What over exposure settings are you using 1 - 2 stops ? and any idea what the ideal ISO setting is, unfortunately DJI do not give this vital information unlike the Canon and Sony.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl