Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

First Thing to do

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by burtonsnowab, Apr 7, 2015.

1. burtonsnowab

I just recently purchased the Phantom 2 Vision +...I am wondering what I should do first. I have read a lot of problems concerning the wiring and was wondering how to check. Also I am presuming just updating the software is next.

Concerning pre flight checklist...Do you need to Calibrate the Compass everytime before flight or not?

2. Apparition

Charge batteries, download/install software, update firmware, calibrate RC both alone and through phantom, basic calibrate IMU, calibrate compass and fly. It's under warranty no point in opening it.

3. DevildogSoldier

I calibrate the compass for every flight (only the first battery). It's part of my checklist items. Simple and quick, why wouldn't you?

4. Marlin009

Read the manual. Then, read it again. Seriously.

Apparition likes this.
  5. burtonsnowab

Thanks for the help

6. Apparition

Should have had this in my list. You can do it while you charge batteries though. I did it several times while mine was on order.

7. Marlin009

I have not watched this but did send it to a friend who said it was very good.

Spenie1975 likes this.
  8. Spenie1975

Great video, thanks for pointing me in its direction..

9. Marlin009

Spenie1975 likes this.
  10. Spenie1975

Many thanks, I've just downloaded.. Looks to be very comprehensive at first glance.:)

11. Marlin009

It is. A ton of good links and it's not in Chinglish. :D

Spenie1975 likes this.
  12. lignow

Keep it close for the first 10 or 20 flights. Change to naza mode. Make sure home point and home lock is working right. Every flight test to make sure home lock will bring it back when it is up and away.

Spenie1975 likes this.
  13. Prowler

Before u go to far or to high, make sure all the safety's work. Return to home switch, cut off tx and see if it come home. Check make sure both switches at top position when starting up. Try Home Lock when u get out about 30ft to make sure it work.

14. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Because it's unnecessary?
    Because DJI didn't recommend it?
    Because it introduces the possibility of a bad calibration?
    People who advocate calibrate every flight do it as a superstitious ritual because they don't understand what calibrating the compass does.

SteveMann and TeamYankee like this.
  15. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Read the manual - most important
    Fly in a clear open area well away from trees and buildings
    The Phantom is very easy to fly but don't get too adventurous too early - get lots of experience

No need to calibrate every flight. Only before your first flight and after adding or removing anything on the Phantom or travelling more than 100 miles.

16. BlackTracer

I can totally confirm Meta4's "no need to calibrate everytime" fact. I have calibrated my compass less than 10 times since purchasing in May 2014. Have flown near 200 flights with never a flight direction issue. The first was before the first flight because it was likely cal'd in China before that. Most of the others were after doing a firmware change. I did cal recently after cal'ing my phone compass. I have not flown more than 50 miles from any one spot FYI. BTW I find it very useful to compass cal my phone (outside) every once in a while to align the red arrow in the app with the orientation of the bird.

If I get the proper indications from the Phantom LEDs that the cal is complete, I have always assumed that it's a good cal. How do you get a bad cal if the LEDs indicate success?

17. edonovanl

I would recommend learning to fly home in ATTI mode using just the radar function since you don't have to get very far away before it's difficult to tell the orientation. If you lose GPS for whatever reason, HL won't work so it's good to practice often in ATTI...