First month with p3p? DISAPPOINTING!

Reaction score
I waited a year before i could afford a drone. I didnt want to race it or perform stunts with it. I was never impressed by the " max altitude test" videos all over youtube, and was more interested in the photography aspect of flying a drone.

I searched around for ages and settled on one from a guy 3 hours drive from me. He uses drones for a living and the p3p wasnt being used. Had a great demo and a fly and we shook hands. Updates were required and in doing so, im clearly unwilling to throw a wad of cash jnto the air knowing i hadnt taken every recommended update and precaution that it will in fact return. Therein began on a madly frustrating journey, the onky benefit of which i can see is that i know know my drone very intimately.

Using a galaxy s2 8" i began getting the "gimbal disconnect" message and this coincided with my first flight and therefore my period of familiarisation with the drone, which was limited to beginner mode, on the very few days of decent weather. Having 3 gig of ram i was confifent the tab could cope, and the shaky choppy video was i naively thought had been caused by the gimbal disconnect issue. I was wrong and resorted to a screen recorder and get some flying time.

It was unclear from the forums whether or not the gimbal message was a firmware issue, an app issue, an imu issue, potentially gimbal ribbon damage, a million whispers and suggested fixes, absolutely non worked, so i ordered a gimbal ribbon, and was confident i coild undertake the repair myself. On the day it arrived (3rd Nov) DJI admit theres an issue and a fix has been done with 3.1.22 app. Indeed it was. The gimbal message disappeared, but the choppy video issue remained. The screen recordings played fine, but the 4k quality is a big selling poimt for the p3p, amd was a draw for me when considering where to spend my money. It would transpire that you need a computer the size of a fridge to actually work in this format, but hey ho, in addition to the new 500m height limit, this was another minor disappointment, as a new drone owner.

Ive discovered that the recorded files saved to my tablet are unusable, and i need to download any recodings via wifi, burning batteries, go through the app to edit them and ive had some fun doing this, but i have had to teach myself everything, through hit and miss hints and tips, trawling through pages of really useful stuff in the main.

Just getting confident, get one days flying in, and then find my rc wont link with my tablet anymore. Just gutted. Paid a fortune for suitable tab with a big screen and it suddenly wont do the only job i ask it to do.

Completely lost faith in DJI products?? I will tell you tomorrow when i get the tab changed.

I waited a year before i could afford a drone. I didnt want to race it or perform stunts with it. I was never impressed by the " max altitude test" videos all over youtube, and was more interested in the photography aspect of flying a drone.

I searched around for ages and settled on one from a guy 3 hours drive from me. He uses drones for a living and the p3p wasnt being used. Had a great demo and a fly and we shook hands. Updates were required and in doing so, im clearly unwilling to throw a wad of cash jnto the air knowing i hadnt taken every recommended update and precaution that it will in fact return. Therein began on a madly frustrating journey, the onky benefit of which i can see is that i know know my drone very intimately.

Using a galaxy s2 8" i began getting the "gimbal disconnect" message and this coincided with my first flight and therefore my period of familiarisation with the drone, which was limited to beginner mode, on the very few days of decent weather. Having 3 gig of ram i was confifent the tab could cope, and the shaky choppy video was i naively thought had been caused by the gimbal disconnect issue. I was wrong and resorted to a screen recorder and get some flying time.

It was unclear from the forums whether or not the gimbal message was a firmware issue, an app issue, an imu issue, potentially gimbal ribbon damage, a million whispers and suggested fixes, absolutely non worked, so i ordered a gimbal ribbon, and was confident i coild undertake the repair myself. On the day it arrived (3rd Nov) DJI admit theres an issue and a fix has been done with 3.1.22 app. Indeed it was. The gimbal message disappeared, but the choppy video issue remained. The screen recordings played fine, but the 4k quality is a big selling poimt for the p3p, amd was a draw for me when considering where to spend my money. It would transpire that you need a computer the size of a fridge to actually work in this format, but hey ho, in addition to the new 500m height limit, this was another minor disappointment, as a new drone owner.

Ive discovered that the recorded files saved to my tablet are unusable, and i need to download any recodings via wifi, burning batteries, go through the app to edit them and ive had some fun doing this, but i have had to teach myself everything, through hit and miss hints and tips, trawling through pages of really useful stuff in the main.

Just getting confident, get one days flying in, and then find my rc wont link with my tablet anymore. Just gutted. Paid a fortune for suitable tab with a big screen and it suddenly wont do the only job i ask it to do.

Completely lost faith in DJI products?? I will tell you tomorrow when i get the tab changed.

Transfer vids by removing the SD card and plugging it into your computer.
No need to "burn Batteries"

Reactions: Djminkee and Pharm

There are seldom any grizzlies about Apple devices and DJI products- they just work. There are many instances of android issues though, and not just with DJI software. You shouldn’t be dirty on DJI about that. I had a strong preference for Android until I no longer had the time/patience to spend endless hours fiddling with things to make apps work as intended.

Reactions: lloyd786
There are seldom any grizzlies about Apple devices and DJI products- they just work. There are many instances of android issues though, and not just with DJI software. You shouldn’t be dirty on DJI about that. I had a strong preference for Android until I no longer had the time/patience to spend endless hours fiddling with things to make apps work as intended.

I use Android all the time - no probs whatsoever

Hi all. I managed to go and get a replacement tablet today. Apple iPad mini 3 dual core WIFI and 4G. Exactly same issue. Roc is connecting to bird camera movable and drone is flyable. There is no connection to the app. Rc light goes from red to green and and slowly blinks. Drone has 2 fixed red LEDs and rear ones go from rapid flash yello to steady twice blink green.

I've noticed a dull red slow blinking light in the housing for Vision positioning Sensors, not sure if that's relevant. Remove casing on rc which houses the USB ports for a visual inspection, and seemed fine.

I'm sure it's something I must have done, no one can have this much bad luck. I love the product, and just want to be able to use it. I've also tried several USB cables.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

How long have you had your drone for? First thing is to exchange it in the retail shop you got it from as it could be faulty.

Have had it about a month. I had demo from seller and was very happy with purchase. . All issues have arisen since firmware / app updates.

There is a way to roll back the firmware. I may have missed it but did you give that a shot. It could just be the app itself playing up. Is it possible to sideload an old version of the app like 3.1.11 as that is stable. I only know android so not aware of how the apple OS works

Hi all. I managed to go and get a replacement tablet today. Apple iPad mini 3 dual core WIFI and 4G. Exactly same issue. Roc is connecting to bird camera movable and drone is flyable. There is no connection to the app. Rc light goes from red to green and and slowly blinks. Drone has 2 fixed red LEDs and rear ones go from rapid flash yello to steady twice blink green.

I've noticed a dull red slow blinking light in the housing for Vision positioning Sensors, not sure if that's relevant. Remove casing on rc which houses the USB ports for a visual inspection, and seemed fine.

I'm sure it's something I must have done, no one can have this much bad luck. I love the product, and just want to be able to use it. I've also tried several USB cables.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
What are your firmware versions on controller and AC- good chance you have a mismatch which will cause the issue you are describing.

Latest firmware on both. Updated app to latest version released on 03.11

Results attached.

75e26c1b178e33938aa014501946ff5a.jpg
344b1de33122a1f1ecfa75a4b60b0eb2.jpg

I use many different tablets chinese low cost and more expensive Samsung and Huawei, all versions of Android between 4.4.2 and 6.0, also and iPad mini 4.
No need to spend much, 80 ... 100 €/$ for a chinese tablet with Android 5.1 does very well his task if does not need to have a greater visibility under direct sunlight.
AliExpress or Banggood: Onda and Teclast, 8" ... 10", high resolution screens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neon Euc
I honestly don't know what problems there are with them.
As Claudio said one of mine only cost $38 and runs the app fine.
It's only a 7 inch so I keep that one as a spare and use a Samsung 8 inch with Android 6 for my every day flying.
From my experience the problems usually involved sharing of the USB post, failure to connect or freezing/ rebooting. There are seemingly a lot with issues from the postings in this and other forums.

the problems usually involved sharing of the USB post, failure to connect or freezing/ rebooting
Yes really, this could be a big problem.
It depends by low quality or out of tollerance (for dimensions) of both the cable and the device microUSB used.
Bad connection, not stable mechanically and electrically, sometimes due to the connector pins not out enough of the plastic, sunk in his support.
Also, need to use a DATA cable, not those for charge the battery.

Yes really, this could be a big problem.
It depends by low quality or out of tollerance (for dimensions) of both the cable and the device microUSB used.
Bad connection, not stable mechanically and electrically, sometimes due to the connector pins not out enough of the plastic, sunk in his support.
Also, need to use a DATA cable, not those for charge the battery.
Agree on all counts, I have had mechanical/electrical issues with micro USB and lightening cables. My comments here were with respect to how certain variants of Android seem to manage the allocation of USB resources.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart