First gen hater got too close

Understood. But I agree with your general comment. 400' is going to become a reality soon enough :)

Reactions: Otis
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that. Dayum!

Reactions: Otis
You want me to post the 74,000 car crashes that happen every day yet we all drive Does that make my point any stronger no
will mechanical failures happen yes, will they make the news yes, just like plane crashes because they are rare in happening.
as such they are news But do I need to stop flying over people because my drone MAY fail no If I lived by that I would not skydive as my chute MAY fail and I WOULD KiLL people on the ground that I may land on.
I say fly within reason enjoy your bird and be prepared to own up to it if you have a issue
Peace:cool:

if you actually watch the video i think the OP did everything right as soon as he was aware that there was another drone in his near vicinity he backed off from being overhead of the people, that's showing a good sense of responsibility to me!
Thanks... Thats exactly what happened

Unsolicited advice or not, if we all follow the rules maybe we can avoid unnecessary restrictions added to our flying of drones. Best practises are what is going to keep this hobby safe for everyone. If a Phantom fell out of the air, which some of them do, it could hurt or kill someone if there are people below.
OMYGAWD HE FLEW OVER A PERSON - EVERYONE IS GOING TO DIE!!!!
Will this Chicken Little crap ever go away? There are perhaps more than a million hours of Phantom flights worldwide in the past two years, and there has not been a single reported serious injury to anyone not involved in the flight. NOT ONE. (A Band Aid or cold compress is not a serious injury).

Last edited:
This whole argument is pointless on this forum-- there are no winners and all are losers including everyone who comes to engage in Phantom discussion -- not legal arguments.

Yeah, you're right. Flying safely is advice no one should ever consider. What was I thinking?

Please continue doing whatever it is you want without consideration to people around you. There I go again with that unsolicited advice again, anonymous as I am.
There is a big difference from flying safe and flying paranoid. Fear mongering like yours does nothing positive for the hobby.

There's also s difference between posting respectfully and being a d**khead. Obviously you don't know the difference.

Are you for real? rofl

88aa5a9708fe10faa3529b8420fc07aa.jpg

I would like to know where Steve get his stats. I guess anyone that has ever been hurt by a multirotor must report to him. So far he knows of none. Odd thing, I have seen some pictures of nasty accidents

Reactions: StevenQX and Otis
Was filming for an event and this *** hat kept getting real close to me and hovering like 10' over peoples heads... In this short vid I was following this line of people and he crossed my path then it was like he was imitating me... Watch the shadows... For a minute I thought I had control of 2 phantoms....

I read the whole thread. I think you did the right thing as soon as you saw the irresponsible drone pilot fly so close to your drone and right near people. Personally, I would have landed in a safe area, shut down and then gone to address the other pilot face to face about their stupidity.

I would do my best not to overfly people. Especially children. However, when doing something like what you were asked to do, it may be unavoidable.

It's pretty simple, really. If performing such flights makes you nervous, then don't perform such flights. If you notice a drone overflying you and your family and it makes you uncomfortable, get out of the area and notify the pilot or management. We all know it's only going to be flying for a few minutes. There's a distinct difference between harassing flight and a flight with some risks the pilot is aware of and trying to mitigate.

With the unsolicited advice on the table now, I mean no Disrespect to the author.

At first I thought Old gen was referring to old fart like me.

I'll tell you I had a wake up call when I was flying on my ranch, and my P3 lost a motor. I lost complete control on this new aircraft that had 1 hour 39 minutes flight time. It fell from 173 feet and dug in some very hard dirt that was difficult to dig a pick axe in. Fortunately I had open area but if people or property were in the area who know what could happen. I watched that fella flying his $15000.00 Octocopter and wrecked into some cars causing property damage. Hope he had full coverage to repair the property and his expensive drone.

As a old Paramedic I can say chances of death by drone, is possible but not likely. However suffering a significant injury is high if you come in contact with one. In fact escaping injury from one coming into you would be a rare exception. Point is we can be a lot more proactive recognizing the conditions vary in each scenario. So I'm saying taking chances could result into a problem and you should always be aware of your surroundings.

As for the original post. The moron flying net to you compounded the chance of the situation immensely! Its a shame these things happen when you don't have a gun....

Reactions: StevenQX
I agree with the personal liberties sentiment and the right to put yourself or your property at risk. However I don't agree that this extends to unwittingly putting others in danger.

In the UK (and possibly other parts of Europe) we are not allowed to fly within 50m of people, structures or vehicles, or to fly at any altitude over busy areas or gatherings of people. We are allowed to fly to 500m AGL where airspace permits. Whilst I feel the 'structures and vehicles' part is a little excessive, I agree with the rest of it.

Reactions: Otis and StevenQX

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18