First FPV flight in 4K with Phantom 2, etc.

Reaction score
I’m not feeling well today, but needed to accomplish something creative. You know what I mean. So it was a clear and still day, just before we are forecast to see 2-4 cm of snow each day this coming week, and made this little video.

This is the 3rd with the new bird (Phantom 2 with H3 3D GoPro 4 Black and now DJI FPV kit), and I am very comfortable flying it. They have fixed everything in my opinion.

It’s also the first flight that was shot FPV style. I loose picture on the FPV screen at 2:23, causing me to stop the forward progress, and run across the street to get sight again. Then I brought it up above the tree line and flew her home. I am that little red dot on the bridge. Given I am using all stock DJI gear, am I better to make some sort of change in the antenna to get better distance, and a clearer picture? Also I have a Mini IOSD onboard, so I can see what's happening. IS there a way to capture that data so I can view it later?

Let me know what you think

Darren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_PwgfL ... load_owner

Thanks,

People who are not using the 4K GoPro will regret the decision. No one needs a monitor on the back of the camera. You'll never use it, and besides for $80 you can buy the attachment monitor. Picture quality is king. I'm not saying the 1080 isn't great, but being able to pan and scan this huge image, or compress the pixels to 1080 is amazing. We will all have 4K in our homes over the next 5 years.

Darren

dlps73 said:
Brilliant video Darren - may I enquire as to the settings you were using as I noticed no fish eye!

It was 4K which only allows a wide angle view. The RAW footage would show the fisheye.

I always import the clips through the GoPro ap, which allows you to remove the fisheye from the clip. It seems to work pretty well.

There are some other products that can do it to, but this one works fine. It's easy and relatively fast. About a 1:1 ration in time.

I don't find the camera contrasty enough, so I tend to add some contrast, and because I am an old broadcaster, I try and make the scene fit broadcast requirements.

Hope this long explanation helps.

Darren

Thanks Darren - I shoot mainly photos and from memory the GoPro app doesn't cater for stills. I've used the Lens Correction in Photoshop but it seems to stretch the edges.....

andersonpaac said:
Was this video shot when the temperature was below 0 Celsius?

I would guess the temperature was around 0 Celsius. I did take it up as high as 100m, and if it wasn't 0 at ground level, it would have been below 0 at that altitude.

I got my first Phantom in January 2012, and I did fly it a few times at between -5 and 0. I just had to give her a try! :D

There is lots of footage that has been shot at below 0 temperatures. You can see them on Youtube.

Why do you ask? Am I doing something wrong?

Darren

Farside said:
Is that a dog chasing a bear around the 1:00 mark? Or just 2 dogs?

Congratulations, you have the best attention to detail I have EVER SEEN! I didn't see it while editing it, and I edit in 4K! That's amazing. We're you pixel peeping? If so, what did you think?

I would be 95% sure it is two dogs. It's a popular off leash area to walk your dog. But, the way the "bear" was walking, the gate is similar to a bear, so I wouldn't rule it out.

If you want to see some great wildlife stuff, check out my other videos on Youtube. I have a great one of a dragon fly, and an amazing one of 3 Moose.

Thanks for checking it out.

Darren

CameraGuy said:
andersonpaac said:

I would guess the temperature was around 0 Celsius. I did take it up as high as 100m, and if it wasn't 0 at ground level, it would have been below 0 at that altitude.

I got my first Phantom in January 2012, and I did fly it a few times at between -5 and 0. I just had to give her a try! :D

There is lots of footage that has been shot at below 0 temperatures. You can see them on Youtube.

Darren

Oh no not at all , I only envy at the fact that you can fly your P2 at that temperature. Do you keep your batteries warm before putting it into the P2 because when I put my batteries in it just blinks red. LOL!

CameraGuy said:
Farside said:

Congratulations, you have the best attention to detail I have EVER SEEN! I didn't see it while editing it, and I edit in 4K! That's amazing. We're you pixel peeping? If so, what did you think?
:lol: nah I was simply enjoying the scenery.
Good stuff, Darren. I'll be sure to check out your channel.

andersonpaac said:
CameraGuy said:
andersonpaac said:

Darren

Oh no not at all , I only envy at the fact that you can fly your P2 at that temperature. Do you keep your batteries warm before putting it into the P2 because when I put my batteries in it just blinks red. LOL!

The battery was freshly charged, and I drove for 15 minutes to get to this location. I took the Phantom out, and was in the air in about 5 minutes or so.

Darren

Farside said:
CameraGuy said:
Farside said:

:lol: nah I was simply enjoying the scenery.
Good stuff, Darren. I'll be sure to check out your channel.

Many thanks

I spent the summer shooting over 100 hours of 4K footage of scenery for a well known broadcast cable channel.

I have tons that they never got too.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18