First day with Phantom

Reaction score
Woohoo! I wanted one forever and finally picked up a Phantom 1.1.1, GoPro Hero 3 Black, and a Goodluckbuy 2-axis gimbal. Was a bit snowy in Chicagoland today but I took it out and was amazed at how easy getting incredible shots is. This is one heck of a tool!

https://vimeo.com/81344260

I like a lot of things about your initial video with your Phantom. Good that that you were able to resist the urge to shoot up hundreds of feet into the air, but instead used the amazing ability of the Phantom to do some great low-level "tracking" shots. The reverse flight was a nice touch, as was the monochrome treatment. Looking forward to your SECOND day...!!

Thanks! The urge to go strait up was an easy one to overcome--if I lost the (very white) Phantom in the snow, I'd never see it till next March!

Plus the low-level stuff is much more interesting looking, I think. One thing I wish I had was a wireless video system, it always seems to look farther away then it really is.

Awesome video, great soundtrack match too!
I kept waiting for one of the street corners to get bent and shoot up to the sky :lol: (inception reference)

Topeeka said:
Good that that you were able to resist the urge to shoot up hundreds of feet into the air

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I'm so totally not posting my first flight video now. lol

Nicely Done. I like it.

Question: I would like to fly my just arrived PV in the snow or just after a snowfall. Did you notice any odd behavior in the cold? I'm sure DJI doesn't recommend sub freezing temps, but perhaps for short periods it would be ok.... How long were you in the cold? Thanks. Enjoy your Phantom!!

t.rexxer said:
Nicely Done. I like it.

Question: I would like to fly my just arrived PV in the snow or just after a snowfall. Did you notice any odd behavior in the cold? I'm sure DJI doesn't recommend sub freezing temps, but perhaps for short periods it would be ok.... How long were you in the cold? Thanks. Enjoy your Phantom!!

Congrats on the purchase!

I had no problems at all flying in the 15-30 degree F temps. It started up just as fast as it did inside. I was out for an hour or so and it didn't seem out of control or erratic at all.

We actually went out yesterday and had a bit more fun! Check it out here:

https://vimeo.com/81866410

It looks you had a good first few days. I'm looking to get a phantom and I was wondering what you used to edit the footage? I have read about a bunch of good programs to stabilize the footage.

Veets4489 said:
It looks you had a good first few days. I'm looking to get a phantom and I was wondering what you used to edit the footage? I have read about a bunch of good programs to stabilize the footage.

Just Adobe Premiere. It features the same famous Warp Stabilizer as After Effects, which is magic.

The crazy thing though is the gimbal is surpassing every expectation I had--I've only been using 3%-5% stabilization!

So I'm trying to decide between the Tarrot and this one.

2-axis vs 3-axis and a bit of a price difference.

Was it easy to set up, are you able to control the pitch of the gimbal during flight with 1.1.1 lever on the bottom-side of the controller ?

It was very easy to set up. That said, I manufacture things for a living so the lack of instructions was greeted with a smile. Your mileage will vary. It did come as a box of parts.

I have been trying quite hard to get pitch control to work and I haven't managed to get it yet. It should be simple but alas...

I've just messaged the seller about it, I'm waiting to hear back.

This might help:
http://youtu.be/aiKqbzFl9OI

I just received mine today, plugged it into the Phantom's battery and it appears to work right out of the box - although it has a 'stuttering' problem every now and then. I haven't done any research yet, but I'm hoping it's something I can sort out and not a faulty gimble.

I probably won't hook it up to the phantom for awhile - as I'm a n00b and it's too cold to fly outside right now. So once I get some flights under my belt and I'm not worried about destroying my GoPro & gimble, then I'll hook it up.

AndyJarosz said:
t.rexxer said:
Nicely Done. I like it.

Congrats on the purchase!

I had no problems at all flying in the 15-30 degree F temps. It started up just as fast as it did inside. I was out for an hour or so and it didn't seem out of control or erratic at all.

We actually went out yesterday and had a bit more fun! Check it out here:

https://vimeo.com/81866410

Thanks for the info and the second vid Andy. I still haven't taken mine out of the box.. crazy weekend but soon. Good to know I can fly after another snow storm we are getting tonight. Should look quite nice when the sun comes out. Glad you are having fun with your Phantom. I am hoping I waited long enough that DJI has addressed all of the previous fly away and battery issues in the early release PV's. Cheers! :)

Jebus said:
This might help:
http://youtu.be/aiKqbzFl9OI

I just received mine today, plugged it into the Phantom's battery and it appears to work right out of the box - although it has a 'stuttering' problem every now and then. I haven't done any research yet, but I'm hoping it's something I can sort out and not a faulty gimble.

I probably won't hook it up to the phantom for awhile - as I'm a n00b and it's too cold to fly outside right now. So once I get some flights under my belt and I'm not worried about destroying my GoPro & gimble, then I'll hook it up.

Aw yeah, thanks for that video! Got pitch control working now! Only weird thing is setting the angles is super strange. I can get it to go not quite 90 degrees, max, in either direction. Still playing around.

Please post back if you manage to figure it out - as I'm sure I'll run into the same problem when I install everything.

how did you guys mount the IMU board to the camera tray?

The board has two mount holes but nothing on the camera tray?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl