First crash....prop failure?

Reaction score
I launched and right at 63 feet my Phantom was spinning in circles....I tried to move it over to trees for protection and it crashed into the trees...which saved the drone. I have DJI carbon fiber props and one is completely broken.

Can anyone take a look at let me know if the logs show anything else I need to look at? Everything looks fine, tomorrow I will do a very low test flight to check more.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I went to 63 feet hoover then all hell broke loose....Healthy drones shows me in the trees when all hell broke loose however I have two other people who say I was not near a tree and did not get near any branches.....so I will run my stock props and buy another set.

Last edited:
I went to 63 feet hoover then all hell broke loose....Healthy drones shows me in the trees when all hell broke loose however I have two other people who say I was not near a tree and did not get near any branches.....so I will run my stock props and buy another set.
I'd suggest you hit something. Do you have the video? Also save your money and just run your standard props full time. Most seem to report there's no real benefit to using the carbons... I admit they look good though!

Fourman, please upload your flight log here and post a link back here.

I flew with Litchi. So I don't think DJI did a log file. So I am out of luck with the full check. I will do my test flight today with DJI Go.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

FYI my flight I went straight up and was hovering then was just starting to move over the trees when it went nuts...after that is went nuts and crashed in the tree and was there for a while.

I am guessing it went nuts around 19.2 sec.

Can you post a link to your log here? We cannot see it otherwise.

I had to fix an issue in my log viewer (the latitude & longitude was not being displayed properly). Here's a link to the log I uploaded after applying that fix:

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

According to your log, your Phantom did not start to yaw (spin) until it hit the tree. I'm not seeing anything odd in your log. It's looks like you just flew it into the tree.

ClippedTree.png

No Tree...the picture is outdated. I have three people that were watching and all three said it was not close to the tree at all. I did have plans to fly over the trees and take video so I was using the road to fly completely clear of the trees before any horizontal flights.

After more looking at I have a shell failure and the motor loose. So looks I am a victim of 1st gen shell failure. I am now thinking it failed then crashed due to it....so now time to get it repaired, however looks like I do not have a drone for my vacation this week.

Here is a tip - when you are in trouble, stay AWAY from trees and pretty much anything else. Go up into the sky and then wrest control back.

And why do you think the crash was caused by what amounts to classic impact damage? Seems much more likely that it crashed then the motor arm broke.

No Tree...the picture is outdated. I have three people that were watching and all three said it was not close to the tree at all.
In your first post above, you said you crashed it into a tree. How did you do that if there were no trees around and your three witnesses confirmed it did not hit a tree? :confused:

I took off in the opening of the road it then went out of control heading towards the trees. I had plenty of clearing I have used before.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I took off in the opening of the road it then went out of control heading towards the trees.
That seems to be what the photo above is indicating. No?

That seems to be what the photo above is indicating. No?
Nope....was not that close to the trees...took off in the road with plenty of space....

GPS and such went crazy after it started spinning. I had a good clean green and even did my standard all flight control tests at about 20 feet as I always do before I went up to about 60 feet then the failure.

Nope....was not that close to the trees...took off in the road with plenty of space....

GPS and such went crazy after it started spinning. I had a good clean green and even did my standard all flight control tests at about 20 feet as I always do before I went up to about 60 feet then the failure.
If the P3 collided with the tree before the prop failure that will show up in the .DAT as an acceleration event before the motor and yaw data show the prop failure. Go here to see how to retrieve the .DAT. It'll be large so you will need to provide the .DAT via a Dropbox link. Another possibility is to use DatCon to produce a .csv, zip the .csv and post the resulting .zip.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl