First crash, caused by prop guards

Reaction score
I recently boughta set of prop guards for my phantom, figuring they would help protect the props and from crashing if i bump into something. Somehow, in he middle of my flight, one of my props hit the guards and the phantom fell to the ground. Luckily, at that point I was only 6 feet off the ground, but it could have been disasterous minutes earlier when I was at 400 feet. Anybody know how that happened?

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum Djinn. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Maybe the guard was loose, or it was a quick movement of the quad and the props flexed like they do.
Prop guards in my opinion are a complete waste of time & money BYMMV.

Reactions: Djinn
The guards were not loose, I made sure of that. I think you are right about the props flexing. The guards seemed to come really close to the blades already. Well thank you for your advice. I guess thats whatiget for buying $3 prop guards.

There is more known issues with prop guards to cause crashes then to prevent them.

In the P2 range, it is known that the props add weight and can cause Vortex ring state (VRS). This is where the props cannot 'grip' the dirty air caused by the props themselves when descending.
Users have also reported that the distance between the props and the guard is half a centimetre. This means there is a high chance of the prop flexing and hitting the guards.
And finally, some users do not take in consideration of the screw lengths when reverting back. The longer screws damage the motors.

I think the guards are beneficial for training and indoor use. Once you get proficient, you should remove the guards.

Reactions: Djinn
Eh I just removed them. Well I had to because 2 of the guards were demolished by my cf blades

I recently boughta set of prop guards for my phantom, figuring they would help protect the props and from crashing if i bump into something. Somehow, in he middle of my flight, one of my props hit the guards and the phantom fell to the ground. Luckily, at that point I was only 6 feet off the ground, but it could have been disasterous minutes earlier when I was at 400 feet. Anybody know how that happened?

That is not a common occurrence.
Without slow motion video, how can you be sure?
Even if there's a nick on the prop guard, it could have happened when it hit the ground.
That said, I'm sure that if some Chinese outfit went cheap on the plastic and designed them too high, it "could" happen.
Some people get the string tangled up in the prop.

Would you mind posting a link to the source of where you got yours that hit the prop?

I cant find a link but I am 100% sure it was the guards that caused it because I saw 2 guards break into pieces in mid-flight.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl