First 5000ft plus flight!

Took my P3S out over a lake today and successfully went past 5000 feet almost hit a mile. Running with zero mods only the cheap gold foil range extender. Although with some testing I haven't noticed to much difference with the "range extender". View attachment 96218
Dude, that's sick, but you shouldn't go that far. The lake is the reason you guys are getting over a mile distance. The water is like a bunch of reflectors. I get 2000 feet from my p3s in my neighborhood, because there are a ton of routers. At the beach I can go much farther, but you need to fly within visual line of sight, unless you have a part 107 waiver to do otherwise. If you always obey the rules, you have no chance of the FAA making you an example to the others.

Holy crap. I did not think they could go to 9000ft. I've seen YouTube videos of it doing 5600ft I thought that was about Max. How did you get it to go that far? Litchi? Programmed flight? I have only used the DJI app.

Try the Litchi app and modify your antennae. I can routinely go farther than I can safely see my P3S.

Oh yes, that doen't mean I fly further than I can see it....But I do get good range. I'm not willing to lose my licences.......

Took my P3S out over a lake today and successfully went past 5000 feet almost hit a mile. Running with zero mods only the cheap gold foil range extender. Although with some testing I haven't noticed to much difference with the "range extender". View attachment 96218

I realize that this post is about the P3 but just came back from a couple of days at a favorite resort in Northern California where I tried flying my Mavic Pro line-of-site to a mountain that was maybe 8 miles away. Stock Mavic Pro with settings in DJI Go 4 that allowed me to change distance and height limitations. Flew just shy of 3 miles away and maximum altitude from point of launch about 1200 feet. But remember that the legal maximum flight altitude of the bird is 400' AGL. My flight path was ascending in such a manner that I likely was never illegal.

As I was approaching 16,000' horizontal distance from my launch point my battery was showing about 70% remaining. Though surface winds were calm I took the conservative choice to turn around and head home because of uncertainty of winds aloft, though I would have had a tail wind helping. I was in P mode with ground speed showing at 22 MPH.

Video recording of the flight was excellent at 2.7k 4000p. I noticed that the entire mp4 recording of the flight of about 18 minutes was broken into two files, the first just shy of 4GB and the second around 1.7GB. So I guess that the DJI video has a maximum file size of 4GB before rollover to another file.

Just my fresh FYI for those of you with other P or Mavic series drones who are going for distance and maybe recording the flight.

Last edited:
1522686023912.png

This was my furthest one way. On a P3S to with no mods at the time. Had strong signal and could go further but came back as I was new to it and didn't know about the smart RTH battery that was available at the time. These machines are great [emoji6]

I am certain this kind of activity is illegal, and I would highly recommend against it.

Unless you have air clearance from your local tower, such flights seriously endanger overhead traffic...

Cool? Sure, but very unadvised.

Well I'm CERTAIN that you're wrong! There is plenty of legal ways to perform flights like this without "air clearance". And if you knew all the suggested guidelines and rules you'd know that.

I can't speak for anyone but myself of course but I don't break any of the before mentioned rules/guidelines. And to the wannabe 107 enforcement officer.. give it a rest will you. Go enjoy flying and take your judgement somewhere else. My 107 isn't in jeopardy and I will not lose it for any of the flights I perform. If you really believe the stuff your saying you def need to learn allot more about the "rules"

Reactions: Neon Euc
I was in country area, on my families tobacco farm. Clear line of site. Was testing how far I could see my 4 strobon strobes. And at just over 2 miles I was able to still see them and tell my orientation.

And my speed was on the way back. My battery was getting low so I switched to atti to speed it up and shutdown GPS to conserve battery. Def got alittle help from the wind.

Absolutely no faa "GUIDELINES" were broken.

Can you tell me how many strobes, their colors and their orientation?

I've tried every combination of colors. White is the best hands down. But the prob is you can't tell which was you're facing if you're trying to bring it in.

I've tried red on one side and green on the other like a plane but at a distance they're to close together to differentiate from each other. And if you put the red on the rear and you're flying close enough to make out your GPS status lights it gets very confusing. (Also the green battery lights) So I matched the lights on the bird; green=rear, red=front and the white on the bottom lets me keep eyes on it and or find it faster after looking at the screen. Then you can focus in on the color facing you.

Reactions: ravedog

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart