Firmware Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just got a new Phantom 2 Vision and have been doing a lot of reading up on it :). Awesome piece of kit...

However I have one question. Should I always go with the latest firmware? I didn't go looking for bad reports but I did stumble across a number of posts about random motor shutdowns (invalid battery issue) and assorted fly away issues. In both cases comments along the lines of `one common theme seems to be the latest firmware update' (I am aware that forums by their nature tend to give a very heavy bias towards bad reports and issues).

DJI recommends always keep up to date.

I know always keeping up to date with the latest firmware means that you get the latest workarounds and fixes as soon as they come out (like the RTH on consistent interference feature brought in to help the fly away issues), but you also can get new buggy features like the battery check unnecessarily switching off the power mid-flight. Being a software engineer myself, I'm all too aware that updates can introduce new issues or bring back old ones. Unlike a PVR or PC motherboard where you can always regress to an older, more reliable firmware, with a quadcopter you may never get the chance as it has flown away or crashed :-(.

1) What is the general consensus `if it ain't broke don't fix it' or `always update regularly'?
2) Is there a list of recommended firmwares with know track records etc?

Many thanks in advance,

Tony Cooper.

You certainly will get a range of opinions I am sure. I am a bit chicken with new updates. I'm never the first. Having said that if I see there is no catastrophic results and there are some 'no problem' posters I usually update pretty soon after. Others experiences will vary I am sure. I am currently on the latest update with no problems what so ever.

Although I do find the 2 m/s descent a bit slow. I feel it should only be limited to this if in a vertical descent as much faster descents are safely achievable combined with forward motion. I think DJI need to think about putting option toggles on some of these new features. But I guess I'm just a voice in the wilderness.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

As with any software update on a critical piece of equipment, it is sometimes best to let it "bake in the wild" for a few days as its much easier to find problems with hundreds or thousands of users than a few beta testers. Once it looks safe to use, then apply it and do some testing. The first flight on new firmware should not be to test the distance and altitude over water for example. If nothing wonky happens in some short test flights, then start pushing it out a little more.

With the best of developers updates sometimes introduce unexpected things... ie bugs.

The best rule is, if you are happy with what you have, and the new version offers no fixes you need, or new features that you want, don't do it. If it ain't broke, etc....

Many thanks for all your replies :). I think I'll hang back and watch new updates then, they seem to do a pretty good job from what people say though.

Cheers,

Tony.

I'm fully upgraded and finally had a chance to do some test runs yesterday. Everything went flawlessly. I'm using a Nexus 7 (2012) and the 1.0.40 Android app, on 3.02 etc... Fully updated...

The aircraft seemed to acquire satellites faster than previously and I was ready for flight in no time. At this location I usually get seven satellites at ground level, but yesterday I acquired nine.

I got it up to just over 300 feet, flew it out a few hundred feet, did a couple of speed runs... Not a single problem. I have the preview set at 640x480 @30FPS and never saw any type of video degradation.

It's raining again today, and probably tomorrow, so I don't know when my next run will be, but this one made me a lot more confidant in running the latest updates...

-slinger

Good Post Slinger,

Ive been waiting to see more posts like yours before I take the leap.
There isn't much in the newer revisions I really need or want, but I do want to be prepared for Way Point flying when it becomes available. So upgrade is inevitable.

1.038 app
1.08 Revision

The Rookie

When I first got my P2V I upgraded the firmware right away.... after a few issues I have decided NEVER to upgrade again and I backed my version back to what it was when I was happy with the way the P2V flew and it's stability.... my P2V will remain at ver 1.08 and my Nexus 7 will stay at ver 1.38 till the day it fly's away, crashes, or I find some sucker to buy it and they like to deal with all the quality and technology bug's.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl